Wiki Posts
Search

Time To Rethink American Advantage Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: was AAExecutive Platinum
Thumbs down Time To Rethink American Advantage Program

This has been the worst year in a long long time for the American Advantage program. They are so focused on this proposed merger with U.S. Air that they forgot the elite program participants that got them to show a profit for the first time in many years. Not only are the bonus mileage programs limited in number but they also now mostly have ticketing or class restrictions that double or triple ticketing costs.They have not had a double elite mileage program all year when they usually have a year end program to catch up before being disqualified.Now I hear they did away with their soft landing deal that made not qualifying for elite status a little easier. I'm sure someone will point out the targeted program for double elite mileage that lasted a few days but existing elite passengers were excluded. Just another example of how American forgot the elites that got them to their current profitable year.Finally, this airline needs to rethink their logo the "New American"!!!. The old American was fine with me. They used to know how to take care of their elite passengers. Put someone in charge that understands the needs of their loyal elite customers and not the need to ticket restriction them out of existence or nickel and dime them out of existence. One last note on the current justice department anti-competitive litigation.I read somewhere that between American and U.S Air that these airlines control up to half of all gates in some key cities including Washington D.C.Do they really think this is competitive???The Justice Department will require some major changes and the "new American is now making a profit. Fat chance for a merger if these numbers are correct...
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Perhaps you should consider defecting to United ?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by huteshab16
This has been the worst year in a long long time for the American Advantage program. They are so focused on this proposed merger with U.S. Air that they forgot the elite program participants that got them to show a profit for the first time in many years. Not only are the bonus mileage programs limited in number but they also now mostly have ticketing or class restrictions that double or triple ticketing costs.They have not had a double elite mileage program all year when they usually have a year end program to catch up before being disqualified.Now I hear they did away with their soft landing deal that made not qualifying for elite status a little easier. I'm sure someone will point out the targeted program for double elite mileage that lasted a few days but existing elite passengers were excluded. Just another example of how American forgot the elites that got them to their current profitable year.Finally, this airline needs to rethink their logo the "New American"!!!. The old American was fine with me. They used to know how to take care of their elite passengers. Put someone in charge that understands the needs of their loyal elite customers and not the need to ticket restriction them out of existence or nickel and dime them out of existence. One last note on the current justice department anti-competitive litigation.I read somewhere that between American and U.S Air that these airlines control up to half of all gates in some key cities including Washington D.C.Do they really think this is competitive???The Justice Department will require some major changes and the "new American is now making a profit. Fat chance for a merger if these numbers are correct...
Wow can't think of a more untimely comment. Seriously, please go to United.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
As a new AA flyer I could not be more please. No soft landing, oh well, does anyone else have that? United wants people to spend $10k on their metal for top tier status, offers pretty much nothing, just devalued their miles, etc. DL...yeah, no thanks on the SkyPesos.

AA has treated me pretty well. I'm even on a double RDM flight right now booked into the cheapest fare class.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:46 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

snicker
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
And using paragraph breaks!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Take your business to another airline that better suits your needs.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I am going to write to AA personally - maybe even straight to Tom Horton - and ask him to create a double elite qualifying bonus just for you!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:57 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I hear [...] I read
Don't believe everything you hear and read.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe there ought to be a "joint whine" category so that the threads from the UA people swearing that they are jumping ship can be merged with the threads from their counterparts at AA & DL.

The answer to all of 'em, whether AA, UA or DL is that if the carrier you choose no longer suits your needs, choose another one.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you AA flyers are a bit spoiled with expecting the double EQM promos. Over at DL, we haven't had one is something like 3 years. While they are fun and helpful for making status, I view them as somewhat of a double-edged sword as they also tend to create Elite inflation. So I can't say I miss them all that much. I certainly wouldn't say just because AA hasn't had one recently means they don't value their fliers. It's more likely they haven't bothered because they are doing better financially.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Yes, the AAdvantage program isn't quite as advantageous as it once was. But it's miles ahead of the loser programs at UA or DL.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Wow can't think of a more untimely comment. Seriously, please go to United.
No kidding, the OP really should take a peek over at the UA forum right now.
Ya we all love to have DEQM offers at one point or another but the fact is AA lists out 25/50/100K for our requalifying need.
In a bad year, of course AA is gonna throw us lots of carrot
On a good year, why would they, i remember the years where we didn't have elite rewards.
AA never promises extra promos, those are bonuses, extra stuff

That said, I'm sure $mi/J will glad to have extra customers going over to UA
We are due for a devaluation at some time but what happen over there is worse than the mafia taking 20 percent
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:08 am

If you need to rely on a DEQM promo to reach a certain status you don't deserve the status in the first place.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Somebody needs a hug. I am almost 7 months into the program ("Hi, my name is Rob...hi Rob!)" and I've not had too much beef with program so far. If you are such a long time AA person (scratching noggin re: American Executive program), then surely you have been following ins and outs; you seem to be complaining about freebies no longer offered but make no mention of how all this personally affected you. As a FF , I'm sure that if you reach out to AA with equal eloquence, they'll get right back to you. My guess? Nonflyer just being antagonistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.