eBay auction: Envelope w/ 500,000 American Airlines Miles

Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The envelope in the AA auction is white. In the NW auction, it's brown.

Obviously not the same seller.

Actually, if the seller(s?) did realize that the airlines would investigate the auction, they may be experienced ebay-ers who set up a new account with an email address different from the one in the airlines' records.

And folks on ebay do steal one another's descriptions. There may actually be soneone in Toledo who saw the AA auction, decided it was a good idea, and copied the AA verbiage since the hits & bids were so high.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
Doppy: Please tell me where I said it was OK to break the rules?

Just becuase you think someone is breaking the rules does not give you the right to be a narc.
</font>
Why not? It's all part of the game of breaking the rules.

I say if someone is breaking the rules you have just as much right to turn them in as they have to try to break the rules and get away with it.

People breaking the rules ends up harming those of us who actually follow them. I could give you dozens of examples of this in law, business, frequent flyer miles, all over the place. By breaking the rules, you're doing harm to the rest of us. The rest of us have the right to turn you in.

d
Old Mar 30, 2002, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Doesn't this guy's quote say anything??
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have created a way that generates miles for very little cost, so if you are interested I am also looking for a partner in this regards

He has created a way that generates miles... meaning it's AN IDEA, not the actual miles for sale...

Meaning YOU'd have to participate in his scheme to earn the miles...

Sounds like buying something for $500K on the AAdvantage credit card (over a period of time - after all, he didn't say exactly WHEN you'd get all 500K miles) and then getting a refund for it in cash. Now that makes sense doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 03-30-2002).]
Old Mar 30, 2002, 9:53 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
[b]Doesn't this guy's quote say anything??
quote:</font>
I think the ad is pretty clear that he will sell you the miles (over time-- and at his convenience) and he's looking for "partners."
Old Mar 30, 2002, 10:52 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
The one bidder on the NW auction appears suspicious as well (perhaps a shill). His last two purchases were $2500 Bose 50 sound systems within a few days of each other. Something smells rotten.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 3:51 pm

The auction has ended someone is actually going to pay $11,200. I hope it is AA police or i think someone is being scammed..
Old Mar 30, 2002, 6:50 pm

Re the ethics of being a narc or a snitch.

Most of us outgrew this schoolground mentality of "thou shalt not tell teacher". Bottom line, if I believe my next door neighbour is selling drugs, I would become a narc. Same if they are cheating the IRS. I would snitch.

I have "turned in" in my past a number of airline staff for selling their travel benefits, and would do the same again. I didn't entrap them, but was a station manager at the time and it was pretty easy to spot. Why? Because it is defrauding the company, and as such no different from taking cash directly from the till. (the passengers who bought the passes were business flyers, who would otherwise have bought revenue tickets)
Old Mar 31, 2002, 4:31 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
eBay actually encourages reporting - details are under the Community section. I see no problem reporting items that are against the eBay user agreement or that you think are not allowed - Let the buyer beware, but I don't like to see someone being taken advantage of in certain cases.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:17 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jada:

Btw, I've been reading FlyerTalk for some time now and wish to thank all of you for the great advice and information. Thanks to FlyerTalk I was able to go from ~700K lifetime AAdvantage miles to 1.5MM in less than a year and plan on 2MM by next year!
</font>
Hmmm. Lemme guess. Would that be...1,532,392 miles??? (as of March 18, 2002 anyway...)
Old Mar 31, 2002, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rmccamy:
Hmmm. Lemme guess. Would that be...1,532,392 miles??? (as of March 18, 2002 anyway...)</font>
Haha... I'm not that stupid! And I'm actually only at 1.491M miles.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 11:20 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OzFlyer:
Airlines are starting to think like this and as note that people will pay agents 2.5c per mile, while the airline only values the miles @ 1c. Thus again in order to maximise revenue the airlines started selling points to the public at 2.5c each! Externally this seems quite hypocritical but it is all about maximising the revenue for the airline.
</font>
In general what you say is correct. the problem is that on their books the airlines do not value miles anywhere close to 1 cent/mile. They are valued at roughly their incremental cost for providing the travel, which is more along the lines (in rough order of magnitude) of less than .1 cent per mile, or $25 for a R/T within the US for example.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I have found that words such as tattle-tale, fink., snitch, etc. are generally used only when the reporter supposedly owes some loyalty to the violator, esp. when they are both in the inferior-status group & the rules are dictated by the superior group.

E.G. Have you ever heard anyone call a TEACHER a tattle-tale for reporting a student's misbehavior to the principal? Or if a child vandalizes Mrs. Jones' flower garden & she tells the police or parents, no one calls her one. But another *kid* who calls the cops does risk being called a fink.

In conclusion, are the rules OUR rules, or are they imposed on us?

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Apr 1, 2002, 4:39 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
This thread is getting really off-topic, I'm going to tell the moderator.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Well, AA hasn't yanked his account, not yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1348311444

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.