Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAA expands use of personal device usage [as of 4 Nov 2013 1700 hrs]

Old Oct 31, 13, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

Interesting. I wonder when American will implement this?

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...5254&cid=TW189
Old Oct 31, 13, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Nice. Thanks for sharing - about time this was allowed.
Old Oct 31, 13, 9:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Thanks for posting. Very welcome news and, frankly, about time

The FAA have finally arrived at the "duh" conclusions about EMI

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 13, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Let's see how long it takes for this to be (a) implemented and (b) for other countries' aviation regulatory bodies to follow.
Old Oct 31, 13, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat
DL, per their press release, pending super speedy approval, could roll it out tomorrow (11/1).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...142500316.html
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:06 am

Most devices are already on most of the time anyways, from what I see of passengers next to me. Now it's going to see if there are cellular bars visible or not. FA's are going to have more work I think, but welcome the new rules.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, AF FlyingBlue Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully AA will implement this just as quickly!
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
You know what this will do? Its going to really hurt (even more) the paper book industry. The only reason why I have not converted completely over to a Kindle (or Kindle App) is the inability to read for nearly 1 hour on every flight. Taking that away will make me so much more likely to switch completely over to electronic.

And I'll be happy not to have some grumpy ... FA continually harrassing me to verify my headphones are off and no music is playing. I've had 2 recently quite literally "force" me to take them off to prove they werent on.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title updated to clarify the topic from an AA perspective.

~Moderator
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
You know what this will do? Its going to really hurt (even more) the paper book industry.
I'm sure they said the same about electric lights and the candle industry. Yes it will hurt them, but that is the price of progress.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
My personal, random <redacted> guess is Dec 1, 2013
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
You know what this will do? Its going to really hurt (even more) the paper book industry. The only reason why I have not converted completely over to a Kindle (or Kindle App) is the inability to read for nearly 1 hour on every flight. Taking that away will make me so much more likely to switch completely over to electronic.

And I'll be happy not to have some grumpy ... FA continually harrassing me to verify my headphones are off and no music is playing. I've had 2 recently quite literally "force" me to take them off to prove they werent on.
I think the paper book industry is already hurting, and the frequent flying would-be kindle readers probably won't make that much more of a dent. Paper books are already doomed!!!!

That said, I read from paper books because I can't usually find the stuff I read in electronic format, or the library I check stuff out of only has paper books.
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:40 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Post FYI, AA must get approval from FAA 1st

Each airline must receive approval from its FAA Certificate Management Office before changing their policy or procedures for use of Electronic Devices. There is a team at AA that is working diligently to receive this required approval.

I'm sure as soon as AA gets this approval, they will inform their pax (and employees) as soon as they have any policy changes. Until then, AAs customers must switch electronic devices off for taxi, take-off and landing.
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
here in the ATL it seems DL is going to start asap.. I dont use any electronic devices or bring them with me other than my mobile phone, I still prefer to travel with a book, something about paper just makes the reading more enjoyable, but that is me.
my wife still cant figure out why I have a Iphone, according to her, I dont 99% of its functions.
Old Oct 31, 13, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Let's see how long it takes for this to be (a) implemented and (b) for other countries' aviation regulatory bodies to follow.
<ahem>

It's the US that is (somewhat generally) playing catch up on this one. I've been using electronics on various European carriers for almost 5 years.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: