Common-sense service on a One World carrier

Old Apr 9, 02, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Common-sense service on a One World carrier

Thought I'd share a positive OW travel experience with you today...

I was booked on BA911 (7.20pm departure)today, Frankfurt to London Heathrow, on a 'B' class ticket, with a EUR77 fee to change.

My meetings finished early, so I went to FRA and up to the BA check-in desk in Terminal 2. I asked the agent if my colleague and myself could change our tickets to fly on the 3.30pm flight instead and we'd pay the change fee.

So, the agent walks away and comes back about 30 seconds later with the check-in supervisor.

The conversation went like this...

Me:Can I change my ticket and pay the fee please?
BA:let me check for you. Well, your flight tonight is really full.
Me:I know this, but can I just pay the fee please?
BA:Well Mr 777Brit, it doesn't make sense for us to charge you to change, when we need the seats this evening. I'll just change both your tickets for you free of charge. Is that okay?
Me:Absolutely! Thanks very much!
BA: Don't forget to use the lounge in concourse D sir, have a nice flight!

So, that was my very positive BA travel experience today. Is that typical in Europe with BA?

[Edited to remove an un-wanted smilie!]

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited 04-09-2002).]
Old Apr 9, 02, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I have had AA change me to earlier flights several times, and they never collected the fee. Sometimes they made me go standby and wait, but once I hit Platinum, they would just change me over.

This was always LAX-DFW. Just going back on a flight an hour or 2 earlier than the one I booked.
Old Apr 9, 02, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think what makes it a bit more special is that BA did this for an AA PLT. FRA-LHR is not an AA flight, it's a BA flight.
Old Apr 9, 02, 6:15 pm

I tried to standby early on 9/11 to go from MAN to LHR. They were very firm about the fee even though neither flight was full. not being in a hurry, I declined. I made a comment about not charging fees for same-day standby in the U.S.

As a result, I watched the towers fall at the airport hotel bar instead of while on a flight. I'm sure the agent had the last laugh to herself about my comment.
Old Apr 10, 02, 3:11 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
I think what makes it a bit more special is that BA did this for an AA PLT. FRA-LHR is not an AA flight, it's a BA flight.</font>
Good point. The supervisor also made a point of ensuring my AA PLT number was in my booking, mentioning (I quote) "It's always a pleasure to help a Sapphire member"!
Also, this flight was yesterday, miles were already posted this morning! Unfortunately, UK AAdvantage members only get miles on BA on F, J, Y, M and B fares.
Old Apr 10, 02, 3:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
Good point. The supervisor also made a point of ensuring my AA PLT number was in my booking, mentioning (I quote) "It's always a pleasure to help a Sapphire member"!
Also, this flight was yesterday, miles were already posted this morning! Unfortunately, UK AAdvantage members only get miles on BA on F, J, Y, M and B fares.
</font>
I have found BA in Europe to be particularly agreeable in allowing taking an earlier flight whilst in the UK they are very strict about it.

I have found them extremely efficient at poting points to Qantas with them always getting there within 2 working days.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 02, 8:14 am

Gosh. This is really classy. oneworld seems to be so much better than SkyTeam it's sickening.

One more foot for me on AA.
Old Apr 10, 02, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
I think what makes it a bit more special is that BA did this for an AA PLT. FRA-LHR is not an AA flight, it's a BA flight.</font>

Yeah.. But AA PLT is OW Saphire. Its an elite status on OW carriers, like BA.

My impression from this post was that the 777Brit thought BA was some how unique amongst the OW carriers by letting someone take an earlier flight without a change fee.
Old Apr 11, 02, 3:30 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:

Yeah.. But AA PLT is OW Saphire. Its an elite status on OW carriers, like BA.

My impression from this post was that the 777Brit thought BA was some how unique amongst the OW carriers by letting someone take an earlier flight without a change fee.
</font>
No, I thought BA was unique in their explanation of waiving the fee. They applied common-sense, without all the BS you often (but not always) get on other carriers. I've had charges waived on AA and QF too, but it was just never as simple as BA and with such an honest, common-sense explanation that made good business sense all round.

Plato90s point was that BA did this for an Elite status member of another carrier. Of course, this is exactly how an alliance should work, with equal recognition no matter what the 'home' carrier of the Elite traveller is.
Old Apr 12, 02, 3:35 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Almost every oneworld airline that I've flown (BA, QF, CX, EI) has extended some special courtesy at one point or another. Some examples include: BA upgraded my wife and I to first class LHR-TLV on award tickets, QF upgraded me OOL-SYD, aboard CX HKG-ICN I was visted by the flight's purser twice to check in on how I was doing (and he visited nobody else in the Y cabin as far as I could tell). I have redeemed OneWorld awards twice from AA (including an RTW), and flown on two paid OW Explorers.

oneworld has been very very good to me. I would love to see them add more carriers, especially in Asia/Pacific.
Old Apr 12, 02, 7:32 am

Programs: United Platinum ~ AA Lifetime Gold 1.3 MM ~ Marriott Gold ~ Hyatt Diamond
I hate to disagree. Clearly the American Airlines product in coach is far superior than those of BA or IB.

The only advantage of being platinum that I have seen while traveling in Europe is the use of the clubs, but it hasn't been easy... They always have to check somewhere, like they are doing you a favor or something. No groups call either, everyone gets in at the same time. I don't understand how those tickets inside of Europe can be so expensive with such a bad service. Even though my last 6 flights there were on miles (4 on BA, 2 on IB) I feel robbed. I might as well be nothing, and I still get the same treatment (which is pretty much nothing)

The more I fly the other airlines, the more I like American...
Old Apr 12, 02, 9:38 am

"I hate to disagree. Clearly the American Airlines product in coach is far superior than those of BA or IB."

Other than the extra legroom, AA's domestic service is dire compared to BA ( dont know of IB ) domestic/Short haul services. Even on short BA flights get served food n drink

"The only advantage of being platinum that I have seen while traveling in Europe is the use of the clubs, but it hasn't been easy... They always have to check somewhere, like they are doing you a favor or something. No groups call either, everyone gets in at the same time."

They do have to check same as when I use an AA lounge using a QF card. The lack of group calling doesn't bother me, I try and board as close to departure as possible. The lounge is far more pleasant than on board.

"I don't understand how those tickets inside of Europe can be so expensive with such a bad service. Even though my last 6 flights there were on miles (4 on BA, 2 on IB) I feel robbed. I might as well be nothing, and I still get the same treatment (which is pretty much nothing)"

Expensive?!!!. Flexible tickets in europe are far cheaper than in the US in my experience. Business class tickets are cheaper ime than 1st US domestic for similar distances. e.g. 1st class ORD-STL = 671 return with AA, 258 miles each way. business class return LHR-fra 524 , 390 miles each way. The LHR-FRA flight will get food n drink plus use of the BA lounges regardless of FF status

AA is good for seat pitch in economy class compared to BA, but that is it.

Dave

Search this Thread