Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switched from UA to AA - first flight - Amazing!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2002, 3:25 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Switched from UA to AA - first flight - Amazing!

I have been a PremEx member of UAL for over 12 years. Due to an incident that "put me over the edge," I switched to American. I just finished flying my first flight - SEA-FLL. I have to post the MAJOR differences from my perspective:

1. Although the plane is not nearly as comfortable as UA's, they are clean.

2. Every person that I encountered during this flight was soooo pleasant. Again - this is a huge change from what I've experienced at UA (especially as of late).

3. The in-flight crew came through at least twice on each segment with a beverage service and were always available if you wanted/needed anything. They also walked through with blankets and pillows.

Anyway, I am impressed. The way in which the personnel at this airline were so friendly is just a welcome change. I have now booked four more trips on AA and only one on UA (they have lost a lot of business because of their unresponsiveness and downright "can't be bothered by customers" attitude!). This really was a very pleasant way to travel.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 4:00 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Welcome to a more civilised way to fly!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your first AA experience. You might want to get yourself signed-up for the Platinum Challenge, to quickly earn mid-tier status on AA.
You can perform a search for 'Platinum Challenge' on the AA board to find out more.

------------------
Cheers, 777Brit
------------------
300,000 miles and counting...!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Welcome to the best airline! Yes, all the little touches do matter. We call it 'Fort Worth hospitality' as AA HQ is here in my home town.

I want one million for lifetime gold--and will do it!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:02 am

To add a different perspective....

I switched away from AA to DL after 10 years on AA and have found DL employees to be much more freindly. From the check-in counter where they actually look you in the eye and givea smile, to the F/A's who don't seem as old, worn and jaded. I was a huge fan of AA and very loyal through the years thinking nobody could do it better than them, but DL just treated me right. To be fair, I relocated to FLL recently from LAX. Perhaps people are just nicer down in this area as opposed to the hustle and bustle of LA. But, to each his own.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:44 am

You know what amazes me? AA seems to have more loyal customers than any other airline on this board. Every time I come on over here and read about AA, you guys are always saying "Best airline.." or "You'll be glad you switched..".

It's actually very comforting because I too signed up for the Plat Challenge and my first AA flight is tomorrow back home to MSP.

DL employees are nice, don't get me wrong, but as a PM for the past couple o' years, the SkyMiles program has no longer become worth my while. Hence the need for a new airline.

Well, I certainly look forward to my flight tomorrow.

Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I second idsant as a UA 1K. I can not
divorce UA fully but I date AA frequently.
Just a much happier world over here.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:54 am
W-N

Programs: AA PLT 3MM..... WN CP & A-List Preferred.... SPG Platinum
I switched from UA to AA a few years ago after UA pushed me over the edge and I've never looked back. AA is much better, IMHO.

Only 200k to go for 1MM.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Can you elaborate on AA not being nearly as comfortable as UA? What class of service? Are you comparing AA More Room Through Coast to UAs coach plus (or whatever they call those first few rows)?
Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Welcome to a real AAirline!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 8:24 am

I am another ex-UA flyer who is very happy with AA. I made the switch at the end of last year and was actually surprised to encounter happy airline employees who seem to be pretty much willing to do everything they can to make travel an enjoyable experience.

My experience with AA has not been entirely without disappointment, but it's certainly been a lot better than dealing with UA!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ldsant:
Anyway, I am impressed. The way in which the personnel at this airline were so friendly is just a welcome change. I have now booked four more trips on AA and only one on UA (they have lost a lot of business because of their unresponsiveness and downright "can't be bothered by customers" attitude!). This really was a very pleasant way to travel. </font>
ldsant:

That is exactly why I switched away from UA after being very loyal to them as a PremExec for 2 years & 1K for 1 year (prior to that, I didn't fly enough for status). With the exception of 1 award & 1 revenue UA flight, I have basically divorced them. Welcome to the fold!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Apr 3, 2002, 9:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I am in the process of moving from DL to AA. So far, I have found the AA staff to be pleasant, but the DL staff are still a bit friendlier. HOWEVER, Delta's management has completely lost touch with the customers. The just do not seeem to care about what we want and their SGB (Simply Good Business, see Delta forum) policy is just plain hateful from a customer perspective. American's management has shown a much greater appreciation for the people that keep the airlines in business and therefore much of my business is going to AA. Delta just doesn't get it.

Thankfully, AA does!
Old Apr 3, 2002, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
ldsant-

Welcome to the AA side. I've already booked enough flights to hit 93K by May, and will surely be at the EXP level by summer. I've been very happy with my AA flights, both domestic and international. The current bonus miles on the OAK-JFK route are an extra plus for me right now.

I've also noticed that AA tends to have routes on sale that UA will not have on sale (SJC-DCA, for instance, which was not matched), so I am doing some weekend trips (with hotels for two nights, not just mileage runs), that would not have been possible with UA.

My first big challenge will be booking AA award travel on Cathay to Hong Kong and Australia in business class for August. I'll have enough miles to do that once I'm back from JFK this weekend. Most of my UA award travel was on UA metal, where AA does not have the Asia/Australia routes that UA does, and you have to fall back on partners.

Old Apr 3, 2002, 12:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mspman:
You know what amazes me? AA seems to have more loyal customers than any other airline on this board. Every time I come on over here and read about AA, you guys are always saying "Best airline.." or "You'll be glad you switched..".
</font>
It's funny. Prior to the Summer from Hell 2000, that's what everyone would say about the UNITED board. AA messages started to outnumber UA messages right about then too.

No coincidence. SOH is the single largest thing that ruined United.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 4:43 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by imkeww:

No coincidence. SOH is the single largest thing that ruined United.
</font>
I had no problem with the SOH - my choice for switching was because of the attitude during the last 3 months. It's just deteriorating to the point that I figure, I'm paying for this ticket (not free, not business travel) and I shouldn't have to deal with rude, indifferent, can't be bothered with customers people like UA has permeating throughout their system (except in SEA of course! ).

You know, I really believe that it costs a company NOTHING to be pleasant and friendly. Yet, it makes a HUGE difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.