Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to standby for red-eye (11:45pm) with next morning ticketed flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to standby for red-eye (11:45pm) with next morning ticketed flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

This is officially my first post on this forum, though i have followed it religiously for years. My question has been addressed before, but was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience. I got a steal on a netsaavers deal this weekend to SFO from ORD. Actually, I'm doing ORD-DFW-SFO-ORD for segment purposes ($11 for the extra segment). I'm booked on the 5am flight back to ORD on Monday. I am wondering if I would be wasting my time by getting to the airport early and attempting to standby for the 11:45pm flight. I wish they would just change the flight to 12:15am similar to the DFW red-eye. I've traveled this route several times this year and this flight usually hits ORD 30-45mins early anyway!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AA100SegmentsORD
This is officially my first post on this forum, though i have followed it religiously for years. My question has been addressed before, but was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience. I got a steal on a netsaavers deal this weekend to SFO from ORD. Actually, I'm doing ORD-DFW-SFO-ORD for segment purposes ($11 for the extra segment). I'm booked on the 5am flight back to ORD on Monday. I am wondering if I would be wasting my time by getting to the airport early and attempting to standby for the 11:45pm flight. I wish they would just change the flight to 12:15am similar to the DFW red-eye. I've traveled this route several times this year and this flight usually hits ORD 30-45mins early anyway!!
I believe it is same-day standby only
Same-Day Standby
AAdvantage elite status members have the option to standby for a different flight on the day of travel when flying within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and international points in the Caribbean, at no charge.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I don't have any recent experience because the answer is, as you point out, No, you can't stand-by the day before, and thus, I've never showed up at the airport on the day before my flight hoping to stand-by. AA's free stand-by policy is for "same-day" flights.

What about the $75 confirmed flight change?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
CFC is unfortunately same day only. The limits are strict.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
And very annoyingly the CFC day is a calendar day and not AA's usual 6 am to 6 am day. This means that if you're on the flights to DFW from LAX or SFO that leave a few minutes past midnight you can't change to anything earlier.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
And very annoyingly the CFC day is a calendar day and not AA's usual 6 am to 6 am day. This means that if you're on the flights to DFW from LAX or SFO that leave a few minutes past midnight you can't change to anything earlier.
Since this change is a manual process, and not something locked into "same calendar day" by an underlying computer system, they could (and really should) fix this. 11:45PM and 12:15AM really is the "same day" in any practical sense for CFC.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Avis PC
I have done it before but it all depends on the GA. Get your boarding pass for the morning flight and go to the gate. Ask the GA politely to put you on the standby list.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by achuang24
I have done it before but it all depends on the GA. Get your boarding pass for the morning flight and go to the gate. Ask the GA politely to put you on the standby list.
+1
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you plan to do if you do not clear? Hang out in terminal 2 all night with everything closed
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
As this is a segment run, I think the OP might want to keep prices as low as possible, which could explain why OP is on the next morning's flight.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
As this is a segment run, I think the OP might want to keep prices as low as possible, which could explain why OP is on the next morning's flight.
Price of the CFC is not really an issue, but I'm pretty sure the CFC is only available on the same calendar day so I never really considered that option. I figured I would have a much better shot going directly to a GA and bypassing the scripted phone reps! I'm a few segments shy of 100, so I'm just trying to start the perks of EXP a little early with this run....

Originally Posted by HNL
What do you plan to do if you do not clear? Hang out in terminal 2 all night with everything closed
Waking up at 2am to be at the gate on time is almost as bad as taking the chance!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Since this change is a manual process, and not something locked into "same calendar day" by an underlying computer system, they could (and really should) fix this. 11:45PM and 12:15AM really is the "same day" in any practical sense for CFC.

Cheers.
I recently did clear standby for a 7pm flight LAX-DFW when I had a BP for 12:15 am flight to DFW. I was connecting from PVG and showed up 30 mins early at the gate
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago I was flying on 1/1 las-dfw-lga, dep for las-dfw was 11:55 pm, connecting to a 8 am flt to lga (the next day).
I was able to get on a 6 am flt from las to dfw. [same day standby--so legal.] When I got to the AC in dfw and inquired about going standby to lga, the agent noted "you're supposed to be flying tomorrow", but after speaking to the GA for the next available flt. to lga: "they are holding a fc seat for you...start running"
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

For those that are wondering if it worked....... I had absolutely no problem getting on the standby list, but unfortunately in the end there was only 1 available seat and a "distressed" passenger knocked me from the #1 spot at the last moment. Though I didn't enjoy spending the extra 5 hours in Terminal 2, it was worth the shot!!!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Thanks for the report back. I did a fair number of redeyes back when AA was at SFO T3, and periodically heard people asking to do the switch--usually from a connecting SFO-DFW-ORD redeye to the SFO-ORD non-stop redeye. My recollection is there wasn't a lot of success; typically, the TAs or GAs would note the same-day restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.