Citibank Creditcard retention bonus

Old Apr 7, 02, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Citibank Creditcard retention bonus

I was offered 4000 miles as retention bonus for keeping the mastercard. anyone got any better deal?
Old Apr 7, 02, 6:39 pm

What do you mean by "retention bonus?" Did you call to cancel and get the offer in order to keep you?

-Zoo
Old Apr 7, 02, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
He/She is probably referring to a phone call made at annual renewal time, asking if the card issuer wanted to extend a bonus for continuing to use the card.
Old Apr 7, 02, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ZooKeep:
What do you mean by "retention bonus?" Did you call to cancel and get the offer in order to keep you?

-Zoo
</font>

Yes. Also $25 late fee was reversed as I mentioned that as one of the reasons for cancelling the card.
Old Apr 7, 02, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
i recently switched from the visa to the mastercard (after only having the advantage visa for a month) and i wanted to get the 5000 or 8000 bonus miles for getting the card. they won't give them to me though because they say it's only good for new accounts, and even though i have a new credit card type (mastercard) and a new credit card number i don't have a new account with them. i even had a supervisor call me back and he still wouldn't give me the miles. the thing that really pisses me off is that i never got any bonus miles when i got the original visa aadvantage card. what can i do?
Old Apr 8, 02, 3:47 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> the thing that really pisses me off is that i never got any bonus miles when i got the original visa aadvantage card. what can i do?[/B]</font>
Try threatening to cancel. That will usually garner at least some sort of a bonus.

-Nathan
Old Apr 8, 02, 4:54 pm

Citibank gave me a coupon for a free companion fare when I called to cancel. And they have always reversed every late fee and finance charge I've ever gotten.
Old Apr 8, 02, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP- 2MM
Interesting... How did you get finance charges reversed???

BTW: the new Gold card Purchase Insurance is awesome.... I destroyed my new cell phone that I purchased with the card and within a month a got a check for the full price...
Old Apr 8, 02, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by verse99:
Interesting... How did you get finance charges reversed???

BTW: the new Gold card Purchase Insurance is awesome.... I destroyed my new cell phone that I purchased with the card and within a month a got a check for the full price...
</font>
is that on the aadvantage gold world mastercard?

Old Apr 8, 02, 6:37 pm

To quintessence who got the companion voucher....it's an empty gesture on Citibank's part. Those companion certificates (which is likely the same ones they offer at time for getting the card) are only good for certain fare classes, and then on fares above $358. Good luck getting a good deal using one of those worthless things....you won't save much, and almost always find it cheaper to buy two tickets at lower fare classes.
Old Apr 8, 02, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by captainstubing:
To quintessence who got the companion voucher....it's an empty gesture on Citibank's part. Those companion certificates (which is likely the same ones they offer at time for getting the card) are only good for certain fare classes, and then on fares above $358. Good luck getting a good deal using one of those worthless things....you won't save much, and almost always find it cheaper to buy two tickets at lower fare classes.</font>

I fully agree. I had to let mine expire. The least fare I could find for coast 2 coast was $600. I could get two restricted tickets for less than $350 if I don't use the certificate. I'd take the miles over the certificate any time.
Old Apr 8, 02, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP- 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
is that on the aadvantage gold world mastercard?

</font>
yeah if anything you purchase on the Gold AAdvantage Mastercard is destroyed, lost, or stolen within 90 days from the date of purchase and you have no other insurance coverage (i,e, renters, homeowners etc.) They'll pay up to $ 500 to replace the item or your insurance deductible....

I bought a Cell Phone OVERSEAS!!!!.... went Paragliding and destoyed the thing by landing in the water..... Luckily I SURVIVED and they actually ended up covering the FULL price of my Cell phone...

They also have insurance for LOST luggage and many other insurance benefits...

Just call Customer Service if you have a claim they'll connect you with the Insurance Dept...

I'm a licensed Insurance Agent and this is by far the BEST coverage I have received from any CC without paying additional fees for memberships....

Search this Thread