T and C's of new.aa.com

Old Apr 4, 02, 3:27 pm
mgm
Original Poster

T and C's of new.aa.com

Has anyone looked at the Terms and Conditions of the new site in any detail? I have not had enough time yet (it runs to over 7 pages when you copy it into a Word document!). One thing that caught my eye and could be a cause for concern is the requirement to indemnify AA against any loss from using the site (which to me implies that if you have a booking that gets screwed up then tough luck).

Also, there is a section that specifically prohibits hyperlinking to any part of the site - putting into question some of the useful tools developed by a couple of FTer's utilizing the existing aa.com.
Old Apr 4, 02, 4:09 pm
Original Member

IT also says you are not allowed to use an aggregation service or an internet service that goes in and gets your balance automatically.

--Jim
Old Apr 5, 02, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mgm:
Has anyone looked at the Terms and Conditions of the new site in any detail? I have not had enough time yet (it runs to over 7 pages when you copy it into a Word document!). One thing that caught my eye and could be a cause for concern is the requirement to indemnify AA against any loss from using the site (which to me implies that if you have a booking that gets screwed up then tough luck).</font>
I think it's worse than that. The "indemnify, defend, and hold harmless" clause says that if a third party is somehow damaged (or claims to be damaged) by your use of the AA website, you will use all of your resources to defend AA from any lawsuit that might name it as a defendant. This type of clause is not uncommon in business-to-business contracts, but I think it's alarming to see it start appearing in contracts with consumers. Do most individuals even have the ability to hold AA harmless from legal proceedings?
Old Apr 5, 02, 6:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mgm:
Has anyone looked at the Terms and Conditions of the new site in any detail? ... there is a section that specifically prohibits hyperlinking to any part of the site - putting into question some of the useful tools developed by a couple of FTer's utilizing the existing aa.com.</font>
Hmm. I wonder if this is actually enforceable. I'm tempted to let AA sue me (if they're so inclined) -- this might make for a reasonable test case on what I gather may be a somewhat grey area of the still-developing cyberlaw. Or maybe not.

Will think about this...
Old Apr 5, 02, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
haven't looked at the t&c's. but i am turned off w/ the tour saying that i have to get a password. no thanks, i'm happy w/my pin.
Old Apr 6, 02, 7:05 am

Me too. What were they thinking?
Old Apr 7, 02, 3:12 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by clacko:
haven't looked at the t&c's. but i am turned off w/ the tour saying that i have to get a password. no thanks, i'm happy w/my pin.</font>
It's easy. just enter your PIN as the password, then supply a new password. It's no hassle at all to do, and your PIN still works on aa.com and for dial-in.
Old Apr 8, 02, 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
It's easy. just enter your PIN as the password, then supply a new password. It's no hassle at all to do, and your PIN still works on aa.com and for dial-in.</font>
It's easy, yes. But a pointless pain in the backside, yes, as well. Now we all need TWO passwords for AA instead of one-- one for web and one for phone. yippee hooray! yet one more case of IT people foisting unnecessary complexity on the public.

Search this Thread