Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Ground Transportation??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2002, 10:50 am
Original Poster

JFK Ground Transportation??

Does anyone know when/if a train will begin serving JFK? I live in lower manhattan so EWR is by far the easiest airport for me to use. I see JFK as nothing but a headache. This is the ONLY reason I have not gone for the Plat challenge.

Will this ever change?
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:11 am

You should keep flying out of EWR. Reading the local papers once in a while may also help you.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:24 am

There already is a train (almost) serving JFK. Just take the A train to Howard Beach and connect to the inter-terminal buses. I do it all the time and its not that bad for $1.50. By the end of the year, a new Airtrain will replace the buses and also go to the LIRR Jamaica Station. I'm sure if you do a seach on Flyertalk you'll find many discussions on this topic.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:30 am

JetBlue has a shuttle bus at terminal 6 for it's customers only that will take you to Jamaica station. I did it last week and it only takes about 10 min. They serve drinks and blue chips which was a very nice touch. They say they will stop the shuttle bus when the AirTrain service starts next year.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:32 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fallinasleep:
You should keep flying out of EWR. Reading the local papers once in a while may also help you.</font>
That really cracked me up.. thanks
Old Apr 7, 2002, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely try the JetBlue bus sometime.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That Airtrain isn't any improvement. You still have to take the regular subway way out to Jamaica or the A train to Howard Beach.

I'm sure it's going to be great if you live near either of those areas, but I'm not too excited about it living in Manhattan. What a waste of money.

d
Old Apr 7, 2002, 1:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
You still have to take the regular subway way out to Jamaica or the A train to Howard Beach.
d
</font>
You can also take the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica.

Old Apr 7, 2002, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
That Airtrain isn't any improvement. You still have to take the regular subway way out to Jamaica or the A train to Howard Beach.

I'm sure it's going to be great if you live near either of those areas, but I'm not too excited about it living in Manhattan. What a waste of money.

d
</font>
That's not true. From the LIRR train station in Jamaica, you can go to Penn Station in 20 minutes via LIRR. During peak hours, there is a train almost every 10 minutes between Jamaica and Penn Station. I think this is a very fast and inexpensive way to go between JFK and midtown Manhattan.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by satish_ny:
That's not true. From the LIRR train station in Jamaica, you can go to Penn Station in 20 minutes via LIRR. During peak hours, there is a train almost every 10 minutes between Jamaica and Penn Station. I think this is a very fast and inexpensive way to go between JFK and midtown Manhattan.</font>
So I can take the subway to Penn Station, then take LIRR, then take the Airtrain? Still sucks. It wouldn't be bad if it were the Airtrain from Penn Station to JFK, stopping in Jamaica, but three different trains? Not worth it.

What we really need is direct trains to the airports; this Airtrain business isn't solving any of our problems.

d
Old Apr 7, 2002, 3:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Didn't the NYC subway run special express trains out to Howard Beach from Manhattan for about $6 a few years ago? What happened to those?

I did the Howard Beach run last night, with the shuttle bus over to AA, and can't complain. You have to allow a good hour from Manhattan, but it seems to work fine.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 4:28 pm

Is that a JetBlue challenge our inital questioner is contemplating???
Old Apr 8, 2002, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The express train to JFK was discontinued in the early '90s. It ran on the A train tracks in Brooklyn. I believe it ran on a different subway line in Manhattan.

You still had to board a bus for the last several miles to the terminals.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 12:07 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
It was called the "Train to the Plane" and was great as it made 5 stops in the city and 1 in Brooklyn. I agree that to compete with other cities we need a "1 seat ride" from JFK to Manhattan. What were they thinking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.