Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA's CX awards only valid from North America and Europe to the Pacific??

Old Apr 3, 02, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Tried to book an award flight today with AAdvantage for a CX flight from South Pacific to Europe and South Pacific to North America. A friendly CSR told me that the miles required for an award that are posted on AA website ONLY apply to flights from North America or Europe. These awards CANNOT be used from the South Pacific!

Is this true? Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a way to get around it?
Old Apr 3, 02, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately that's the way it was set up. You would need two awards, one from South Pacific to HKG, another from HKG to North America or Europe. This makes them quite expensive, but at least you could use them. You can't get awards originating from Asia/South Pacific on many programs such as BAEC/USA.
Old Apr 3, 02, 1:55 pm

Spider can get the result he wants with the Oneworld awards. They're a little known and little used award, but very flexible and less expensive than they might appear.
Old Apr 3, 02, 2:10 pm

PaulSEA1, how would it work from the So. Pac. to Europe w/a 1W award? Don't you have to include a segment on AA *and* two other 1W airlines? Would that mean that the flight can't go through Asia? Hopefully, I'm reading this rule wrong and any two 1W airlines will do the trick...
Old Apr 3, 02, 7:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
PaulSEA1, how would it work from the So. Pac. to Europe w/a 1W award? Don't you have to include a segment on AA *and* two other 1W airlines? Would that mean that the flight can't go through Asia? Hopefully, I'm reading this rule wrong and any two 1W airlines will do the trick...</font>
You need to use two oneworld carriers. It is not required to use AA as one of them.

I've used a oneworld award for the following itin:
LHR-HKG-YVR-HKG-LHR on CX and BA.

I'm confident that you could fly SYD-LHR-SYD using a combination of BA/QF/CX using an AA oneworld award. Call AA before you get discouraged about the cost. My ticket cost me much less than I calculated it would base on their charts.

Old Apr 3, 02, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oneworld awards are based on origin/destination mileage, transit points are not considered. I also thought you need to use two other airlines in addition to the host airlines. Maybe just two non-host airlines would be fine.
Old Apr 3, 02, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Two non-host OW airlines or the host airline plus two other OW airlines are required for the OW awards, this is the same in all the OW partners for the OW awards as I understand it, i.e. for QF members, fly BA,CX and QF, or BA and AA, ok, but no AA and QF only, for AA members, AA,CX and BA is ok same with CX/QF, but not an AA/QF only.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 3, 02, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I'm trying to figure out a similar problem... how to put together a one-way OW award using AAdvantage miles for BKK-LAX(stopover)-BOS. The most convenient routing would be simply CX/AA, but that doesn't follow the OW award rules. So, the best I can figure out is BKK-HKG on Finnair (AY091, strangely enough), HKG-LAX on CX, and LAX-BOS on AA. Will they let me do this, seeing as BKK-HKG is mainly a CX route? Also, do they figure the stopover in LAX into the mileage calculation, or is it "free"? Thanks for your ideas!
Old Apr 4, 02, 2:10 am

Thanks for the great info! Let me see if I understand: if there's no stopover involved, the distance is considered as non-stop from origin to destination, even when there's a connection. What happen with a stop over? For example AAA-CCC nonstop is 7000 miles, but there is a connection at BBB. If I choose to stopover in BBB, am I know charged for the distance between AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC?
Old Apr 4, 02, 3:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danang:
So, the best I can figure out is BKK-HKG on Finnair (AY091, strangely enough), HKG-LAX on CX, and LAX-BOS on AA. Will they let me do this, seeing as BKK-HKG is mainly a CX route? Also, do they figure the stopover in LAX into the mileage calculation, or is it "free"? Thanks for your ideas!</font>
AA does not care which oneworld airline you pick. So, choosing AY is no problem. If your LAX connection is within 24 hours, then it will be disregarded. HKG-BOS is the distance, not HKG-LAX-BOS. Or, if your HKG stop is less than 24 hours, then it is BKK-BOS. If you have a stopover, you will also be levied various airport charges as well.
Old Apr 4, 02, 6:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Chiangi,
Great... sounds like a &lt;24hr stop in LA is the best deal. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: