Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounted awards on CX are back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Discounted awards on CX are back

Between March 20, 2002 and May 31, 2002 you can claim a reduced AAdvantage PlanAAhead award on Cathay Pacific for travel during the period March 20, 2002 through May 31, 2002 and September 1, 2002 through December 15, 2002.

Hong Kong
CX40B

Bangkok, Cebu, Denpasar (Bali), Fukuoka, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Nagoya, Osaka, Penang, Seoul, Singapore, Surabaya, Taipei or Tokyo via Hong Kong
CX45C

Adelaide, Auckland, Bahrain, Brisbane, Cairns, Colombo, Delhi, Dubai, Istanbul, Johannesburg, Karachi, Melbourne, Mumbai (Bombay), Perth or Sydney via Hong Kong
CX55B

Transborder travel between:
New York and Vancouver
CX20B

http://www.cathay-usa.com/offers/spr...subdefault.asp
Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:35 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
In Y only!
Once, a few years ago, they had a sale on J & F also!

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Coach. Icky.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brendan:
In Y only!
</font>
Yeah- I was going to put that in the subject, but forgot!
Old Apr 1, 2002, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by landspeed:
Yeah- I was going to put that in the subject, but forgot!</font>
I tried getting the business and first class awards... nothing available for most any dates in April or May. Coach it may have to be, but I guess this will save me a lot of miles from trying to redeem a business class or first class award to Delhi.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 5:20 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
I tried getting the business and first class awards... nothing available for most any dates in April or May. Coach it may have to be, but I guess this will save me a lot of miles from trying to redeem a business class or first class award to Delhi.</font>
Hard to get, hard to get. Flights out of HKG anywhere into Asia on this award are not easy. Called the EXP desk and the awards posted above had just been loaded.
Old Apr 1, 2002, 5:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
I tried getting the business and first class awards... nothing available for most any dates in April or May.</font>
I've had extremely good luck with AA awards on CX. Can you tell a bit more about what you tried, which routings, which legs were the trouble? I wonder if it's tougher now than in the past.

Thanks!

Old Apr 1, 2002, 6:13 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulSEA1:
I've had extremely good luck with AA awards on CX. Can you tell a bit more about what you tried, which routings, which legs were the trouble? I wonder if it's tougher now than in the past.

Thanks!

</font>
I was looking for post-April 19th/pre-May departures from Washington or NYC to Delhi or Dubai in coach or business using AA miles on Cathay via HKG. There were only two days available in my April time period and nothing available unless I took a voluntary downgrade to coach from HKG onwards (if I used the business class or first class awards. May seemed to have a little more availability.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:43 am

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
I used this award for Sept 1 of last year, the first date it was available for that time period.

First off, CX doesn't have the legroom AA does, the flight was full and I was in Coach. I honestly thought they should have been paying me to be there, it was that horrible.

Second, at least out of LAX, the choicest flight, around midnite, was never available for an award from the time I first tried booking. I found that from SNA, I could go through SFO or some other airport (I forget) instead, for a better timed route than what was left over in LAX.

If someone wants to claim one of these awards, I would advise doing so months in advance, being creative with your itinerary and, while the FAs are the nicest, expecting an extremely uncomfortable coach experience.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:48 am
Original Poster

As tempted as I am by the low mileage requirements...:

Topic: Coach service on CX, how is it ?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum85/HTML/000614.html

Topic: CX coach service
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum85/HTML/000813.html
Old Apr 2, 2002, 2:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lisamcgu:
I honestly thought they should have been paying me to be there, it was that horrible.

</font>
My family of four also redeemed one of these reduced CX coach awards, LAX-HKG-JNB. I am no stranger to cramped steerage class, but these flights were particularly dismal. I had so looked forward to the idyllic conditions often mentioned on this board re: CX, only to be quite disappointed.
The reduced mileage for the awards was appealing. The experience itself would have tested the endurance of Ernest Shackleton, however.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Just tried to book a Y seat to fly SFO-HKG-SFO. Going over (late April) was no problem. Can't, however, get home in early May. Was told NO seats from HKG to SFO/LAX in all of May -- first avail seat is June 9!!! Why does AA offer awards that can't be booked!
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:01 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
The longest flight I flown on CX on Y is LHR-HKG and seating at axise of middle. honestly I don't that it is that bad! I am 5'-10" and about 170lbs. havn't flown 777 in non-exit row for a long time, no comment. At least on service and attention to passenger is way better than AA. CASE:

CX have cup noodles for snack, I don't know it is only 30mins from breakfast but starving after sleep, I get to gallery, FA told me the BF will be served in 30mins (so you know they are busy), but she said she are more than happy to get me the noodle if I want it and 1 mins it is at my tray!

AA: remember the snack attack? I am in J (not Y), in the middle of the flight I get a chocolate.. ALL gone! (even the basket), the FA seating told me no more, all gone... Haha!

Granted, AA's has more room, but the sincere, service and prompt response of CX.. just touched.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:43 pm

I led an entire group of Americans (ages 18 to 60s) a few years ago on a tour to HKG. We flew CX in coach. No one complained about the seats or service, and there were some BIG AND TALL people in the group. In fact, there were only compliments. Also consider that even Randy flew Cathay all across Asia and Australia in coach a few years back. I don't recall him complaining.

[This message has been edited by fallinasleep (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 3, 2002, 3:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I just booked some flights on CX from LAX-HKG in late May. On our first choice of flights, they had 1 award seat in first and 4 in business available. I was really surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.