VIPOWs combined with Reward Tickets?? Is that Possible??

Old Apr 1, 02, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH G, MAR back to lowly Silver,
VIPOWs combined with Reward Tickets?? Is that Possible??

Can the VIPOWs be awarded on Reward tickets as well or are they just usable from paid fare tickets?
Old Apr 1, 02, 5:17 pm

paid fare only, but on the bright side, any paid fare, including deep discount, internet, etc.
Old Apr 1, 02, 8:21 pm

Just did my own thing--akin to what you are talking about. Am sending daughter and new husband to Kenya from SJC--on safari. Booked roundtrip SJC-LHR in J for 1K apiece, upgrading with VIPOW's. To get 'em to Nairobi I had to cash in 150K (Anytime price) apiece to get biz travel RT from LHR. Was the best I could do, in terms of use of VIPOW's and other resources. EXP desk booked the whole thing and did a good job.

------------------
AAExecPlat; Lifetime AAirpass; 3MillMiles; UApremier-PassPlus
Old Apr 1, 02, 8:23 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
VIPOWs are considered an "award". You are only allowed one "award" per ticket. That is why you can only use with a paid ticket.

Old Apr 1, 02, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
There are four ways you can get into J, not counting an occasional pleasant surprise such as an operational upgrade:

1. Buy a ticket there.

2. Get a business class award.

3. Buy an economy ticket and use an upgrade award (includes VIPOWs).

4. Get an economy award and pay the difference between full Y and J.

If you're paying for your own ticket, that pretty much eliminates #1. #4 is usually prohibitively expensive too. The choice between #2 and #3 depends on how many miles you now have and how much you value getting more. I usually opt for #3.
Old Apr 1, 02, 10:23 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Hi!, Is that the difference between full Y and J or Full Y and Discounted J (D)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 02, 12:17 am

If you get an award seat in Y and pay the Y to J fare price - do you get points or status credits for the trip since you "paid" for J?

Also if you pay for Y, upgrade with cert. to J and then pay from J to F what do you get points / status for?
Old Apr 2, 02, 9:41 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
There are four ways you can get into J, not counting an occasional pleasant surprise such as an operational upgrade:

1. Buy a ticket there.

2. Get a business class award.

3. Buy an economy ticket and use an upgrade award (includes VIPOWs).

If you're paying for your own ticket, that pretty much eliminates #1. #4 is usually prohibitively expensive too. The choice between #2 and #3 depends on how many miles you now have and how much you value getting more. I usually opt for #3.
</font>
Don't forget secret 'Option 5'!

"Know someone"
Old Apr 2, 02, 1:08 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OzFlyer:
If you get an award seat in Y and pay the Y to J fare price - do you get points or status credits for the trip since you "paid" for J?
Also if you pay for Y, upgrade with cert. to J and then pay from J to F what do you get points / status for?
</font>
ANSWER #1: NO!
ANSWER #2: IF this is even possible, I'd say Y status/points. Ask AAdvantage 2B sure.

Old Apr 2, 02, 1:16 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:

</font>
#4 is surprisingly cheap from Canada to Chicago, Mexico, or the Caribbean & reasonably priced USA to Caribbean. Also remember that you can often get an upgrade cost based on a fare from A to C if the stopover in B is on the routing. If the rate desk breaks the fare at the stopover city, try again in a week.

E.G.: YVR--CLE stopover--SXM (ST. MAARTEN.)
The first price I got for a OW upgrade + taxes = US$1086. A week later a better rate desk employee said US$190.50!
Old Apr 2, 02, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FullFare:
Booked roundtrip SJC-LHR in J for 1K apiece, upgrading with VIPOW's.
</font>
I need to book an LHR trip in June - how did you get a $1k J fare?

Old Apr 2, 02, 2:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FullFare:
Just did my own thing--akin to what you are talking about. Am sending daughter and new husband to Kenya from SJC--on safari. Booked roundtrip SJC-LHR in J for 1K apiece, upgrading with VIPOW's. To get 'em to Nairobi I had to cash in 150K (Anytime price) apiece to get biz travel RT from LHR. Was the best I could do, in terms of use of VIPOW's and other resources. EXP desk booked the whole thing and did a good job.

</font>
Don't forget the oneworld awards. These can be better than they look on the surface. Their mileage calculation method seems to return lower mileage than I would calculate.
Old Apr 2, 02, 3:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JHunter:
I need to book an LHR trip in June - how did you get a $1k J fare?

</font>
The $1k is two coach fares, subsequently upgraded to J (C actually) via VIPOW awards.
Old Apr 2, 02, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
The $1k is two coach fares, subsequently upgraded to J (C actually) via VIPOW awards.</font>
D'oh! I misread Fullfare's post, thinking he meant that he was using the VIPOWs to upgrade FROM J, not TO J!
Old Apr 2, 02, 11:17 pm

JHunter, PaulSEA: sorry, I have been OOT and just got back. Tix for daughter and soon-to-be son in law were for Sept of this year and were coach, upgraded to Biz. Also, they started in San Jose and were heading back to their jobs in Boston, so that may have explained the fares at $1,018.00 a pop. I wasn't surprised that I would have to burn for the AAnytime BA mileage LHR-NBO at 150K per tx. Have always spoiled my kids. Honeymoon, unquestionably, no exception.

------------------
AAExecPlat; Lifetime AAirpass; 3MillMiles; UApremier-PassPlus

Search this Thread