Y Seat Pitch

Old Mar 30, 2002, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Y Seat Pitch

Haven't been travelling AA at all lately but wondering just how much better the Y seats are since they added more legroom? Was it an inch or a foot? Just want to hear your experience as all I have are the ads to go by.

AA was never my fav airline for seating or service, but I want to reconsider.

Also, does AA offer some kind of lifetime status if you hit a certain number of miles,or continued P or EXP status for x/yrs
or is this just another myth?
Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
More Room Throughout Coach has been fully implemented now. It DOES make a difference that extra 2-3 inch between seats. AA's economy class seats now average 34-36" seat pitch. I've flown over 4 hour flights in coach on AA and it's fine.

Don't know about the Lifetime EXP status. I've just made 1 million so that takes me to Lifetime Gold. But I'm EXP so the new card just has a 1 mil logo on it.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:34 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
No such thing as lifetime EXP.

Lifetime Gold at 1 million miles.
Lifetime Platinum at 2 million miles.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know the pitch numbers, but it's a significant difference. I have to fly other airlines every now and then, and since I don't have status with anyone else, I really notice the difference.

However, I've never really heard anyone else (outside of us) discuss it. In January I was flying LAS-LAX and a bunch of grannies were talking about how much better the legroom was than the other airline they flew on the trip, Delta or CO maybe.

The pitch is a lot better if you plan to use a laptop. On other airlines and AA pre-MRTC if the guy in front of you reclines, that's pretty much it for using a laptop in any comfortable way.

d
Old Mar 30, 2002, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
I wish I could say there is a huge difference, but in all honesty, any AA flights i have taken since implementation of MRTC has either been in First, Biz, or Exit Row/Bulkhead Y.
I can tell you that I took Delta LAX-TPA in January and had a nice family not been willing to switch with me, I would have wanted to shoot myself. I sat in those seats in a regular aisle seat and my knees touched the seat in front of me with my butt all the way back in the seat. I am 6'4" so every inch counts. Needless to say I wont ever try flying DL again unless i can be assured an exit seat.

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Platinum
Old Mar 30, 2002, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
DR: Whats the story on Lifetime Gold and Plat? How many miles are needed and what are the benefits? I am most interested as AC offers nothing comparable. Thxs.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
DR: Whats the story on Lifetime Gold and Plat? How many miles are needed and what are the benefits? I am most interested as AC offers nothing comparable. Thxs.</font>
1,000,000 total life time miles from ALL sources. It gets you at least Gold level for life. You'll never go belwo it. If you don't qualify for a higher level, you'll still be gold and have all of those benefits. Check aa.com for details on benefits of gold.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Gold is my goal! Working toward that million miles like mad.

As far as MRTC, where you really notice it is coming off an international flight on another airline and settling in to your seat on AA to finish the ride home! Although I am a short person, I also appreciate the added comfort and convenience of having more room.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
1,000,000 total life time miles from ALL sources. It gets you at least Gold level for life. You'll never go belwo it. If you don't qualify for a higher level, you'll still be gold and have all of those benefits. Check aa.com for details on benefits of gold.</font>
From ALL sources? So even bonus miles and things like car rentals and things cound towards MM status?

If that's true.. that's awesome!
Old Mar 31, 2002, 9:40 am

Yes, it is life-to-date miles accumulated from all sources. There are numerous topics related to million mile status if you perform a search.

You can also check FewMiles' Unofficial Guide to American Airlines AAdvantage at http://plaza.powersurfr.com/fewmiles/AA/index2.html for for information related to million mile status and other details of the AAdvantage program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.