Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show Credit Card at Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2002, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Show Credit Card at Airport?

Today I made a reservation for a travel award for my son and noticed the following clause in the Emailed itinerary:

"If a credit card was used to pay for this
transaction, you will also be required to present that credit card.

I have never had to show a credit card in all my travels since 9/11. Has anyone else experienced this, or is this just fluff boilerplate?
Old Mar 22, 2002, 8:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OldTWAPlatGuy:
I have never had to show a credit card in all my travels since 9/11. Has anyone else experienced this, or is this just fluff boilerplate?</font>
Neither have I. Although once (at JFK) I've seen a fellow passenger being asked to produce the card used to pay for his e-ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 8:36 pm

Yeah, I was surprised too. But no they actually asked for it and swiped it. Not to charge the card buy to have prooof of its physical presence. Go figure?
Old Mar 22, 2002, 8:51 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
In my 5 years of travel I have never had to produce my card unless I was paying for the ticket...the receipts will say that but don't count on needing it.

But if you want to be safe, I suggest photocopying the front and back of your card and then attaching a letter (signed by you) outlining you bought the ticket for your son. At the same time, I am assuming you used your miles for your son's award ticket. The agent should be able to see that in the reservation and then put 2 and 2 together...
Old Mar 22, 2002, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
They always ask to see my credit card at BWI. But that's it....
Old Mar 22, 2002, 10:55 pm

I was asked for my credit card at JFK going to LHR a month ago. My face got white as I asked which one. Thankfully I had the correct one on me which was remarkable since I own 5 cards and only had 2 on me at the time.

[This message has been edited by audio-nut (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old Mar 22, 2002, 11:25 pm

They asked for it at LAX. The interesting thing was I used a virtual debit Mastercard to pay for it (from PayPal), so I had no physical card present with me. I checked with AA and they said should I need to show it, I should just explain it to them and they would refund the money to the virtual debit Mastercard and charge it to my 'real' Visa.

This is exactly what ended up happening. Although it took her about 10 minutes to pull up the old el-cheapo fare and re-ticket and re-issue, the agent was very friendly and pleasant, which made me take down her name and write a commending letter to AA about her.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 12:03 am

If your son is under 18, you don't have to worry about giving him a proof of your credit card. Passengers under 18 are waived from having to show credit cards. I know this because I bought a ticket for a cousin who was below 18 and the same thing happened with her.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:15 am
Suspended

ALWAYS TAKE THE CREDIT CARD YOU USE TO CHARGE TICKETS!

I almost got TOTALLY screwed on this; bought a web cheapie flight from DFW to FLL on Delta, drove up from Austin, stroll to the ticket counter...and they asked for the cc...which I didn't have. Missed the flight, but the GREAT people at Delta accepted a faxed copy of it and let me fly out the next morning (also gave me a stack of phone cards and a discount room at an airport hotel. Most above and beyond service I've ever had from a US airline.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:31 am
sim

AA has always told me this when I book the award reservation and have always asked for it at the airport. My 10 year old daughter did not need it and they told me that because of her age she would be issued paper tickets (ours where e-tickets)so that she would not need card. Same procedure when we booked award tickets 2-1/2 years ago so it has been in place for awhile.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:36 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OldTWAPlatGuy:
[B]Today I "If a credit card was used to pay for this transaction, you will also be required to present that credit card.

A credit card is not needed to be presented on an award ticket. My son just flew on a domestic award this past week, paid with hubby's (the AAdvantage member) credit card for the expedite fee & security fee and all that is needed to be presented is government issued photo ID if over the age of 17.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 7:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
this is obviously an anti fraud measure. i believe that i've been asked once for the card when on an e ticket. it is probably a reasonable precaution. i'm pretty sure to be covered because i normally use 2 cc's for most purchases. we have others that get used for idine some months.

blueeyes..... i fail to see why you think dl is great from the info in your post! i assume the phone cards were gratis but a discount room implies that you paid for it.perhaps this part should be in the dl forum.

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 03-23-2002).]
Old Mar 23, 2002, 7:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
itchy trigger finger, sorry - dupe

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 03-23-2002).]
Old Mar 23, 2002, 9:29 am

What would happen if the ticket was purchased by a CC from your employers account. I would imagine that many business travelers could have this situation.

Jay
Old Mar 23, 2002, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold
The worst case scenerio has already been experienced by one of the previous posters...you have to put in on a credit card that you have in your possesion...(Then get reimbursed the your co. later). This line that appears on the ticket is a generic (typo) disclamer that does not apply to all situations...

"If you used a credit card for this tkt...blah blah..."

Award Reservations are ruled out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.