FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Exactly How Many Miles Does It Take To Redeem for Hawaii?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/151169-exactly-how-many-miles-does-take-redeem-hawaii.html)

bigeyes1 Mar 14, 2002 8:01 pm

Exactly How Many Miles Does It Take To Redeem for Hawaii??

A friend and I are getting into a heated debate over this topic. He keeps telling me it only takes 30,000 miles to redeem for a Hawaii award. I tell him to look at AA's website. It clearly states 35,000 miles. Now, keep in mind, we are both regular AAdvantage members.

He told me just a few weeks ago he was able to get a Hawaii award ticket for 30,000 miles. Sure enough, he showed me his proof.

My question is this. Since he didn't know how he got the frequent flyer ticket for less miles, I'm turning to all of you. Is there a secret that I should know about? How was he able to get a ticket for less??
I'm feeling left out.

DH Mar 14, 2002 8:12 pm

AA ran a promo which required 30K miles (instead of 35K miles) for Hawaiian award tickets; the requirement was that you had to connect via San Jose.

I think AA ran same promo a year or two ago too.

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping

bigeyes1 Mar 14, 2002 8:15 pm

His ticket is for DFW to HNL. Same award that I'm fixing to do. Hey, if he can get it for less, then I want to, too.

The one thing that he did do is he called and booked his ticket over the phone. Should that make any difference?

DH Mar 14, 2002 8:21 pm

Hmmm, I wonder whether your friend took miles & cash promo... Other than that above promots, I don't have any clue. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping

lrickets Mar 14, 2002 8:23 pm

Bigeyes1,

AA did run a discounted award of 30,000 instead of 35,000 miles to Hawaii. But I believe that has expired.

bigeyes1 Mar 14, 2002 8:28 pm

Aw shucks. That isn't what I want to hear. Was this award available to use for January 2003? Has AA ever extended that offer when it has officially ended?

lrickets Mar 14, 2002 8:37 pm

Bigeyes1,

I don't remember but I think the official travel dates was to complete by 3/31/02 and to claim the discounted award ticket before something.

I can't seem to recall, but I'm sure someone will come along to verify the dates.

honu Mar 15, 2002 4:54 am

It was for January and February travel, and I believe it expired at the end of February. AA runs these specials pretty much every year, but for a limited time, and usually during the slow Hawai'i season. There's almost always a promo going Sept.-to mid-November. I don't recall a time when such a promo was available during the summer or around Spring break or year end holidays, as those are the busiest times for travel to the Islands.

Jilz Mar 15, 2002 9:34 am

Also - - don't forget until June __, (for travel up to 11 mos. in the future)you can book a "double" award, 2 in First Class for 100k miles. Another thing to watch is the awards which are discounted 5,000 miles to holders of Gold or Platinum Citibank cards. The list of destinations changes quarterly, and is posted on citibank.com about 6 wks. before the beginning of each quarter.

bigeyes1 Mar 15, 2002 12:58 pm

Thanks all for your wonderful input.. I guess I won't be able to qualify for any of the things listed above, because I'm just a regular AAdvantage member. I also don't hold a Citibank card. (I'm trying to steer away from credit cards).

Anyway, thanks a bunch everyone!!

nologic Mar 15, 2002 1:59 pm

The 2 person F award at 100,000 miles is a very good deal...and it is going away unless you redeem by 6/30/02...at which point the cost will be 120,000 miles.

dgordon Mar 16, 2002 12:02 am

After 9/11, AA was running several reduced mileage awards and I think Hawaii was among them. I don't think it comes up much with the discount from having an AAdvantage World MC. They also ran some pretty cheap tickets to Hawaii. You can always CALL customer service and ask them what promos there might be.

------------------
DtG

Lokahi Mar 16, 2002 1:40 am

Just for clarification, the discounted AAdvantage Hawaii reward (30K instead of 35K for coach) ran from January through February 28.

But you can fly from the West Coast to HNL right now through June 7 for $280 or so, and EARN miles instead of burning them...

AdvantageReservationAgent Mar 16, 2002 9:22 pm

Yes, an award ticket to Hawaii is 35,000 miles unless you are doing inter Island travel that is an extra 5,000 miles. So, then you would be using the P35U and HA5A for a ticket like that.. I hope this helps out. Some, people think that the inter Island travel is inclueded and it is not.
Now, there is one that has an 8 day inter Island pass with it. But, there is only one.
But, it is more miles.

Your friendly American Airlines agent.

[This message has been edited by AdvantageReservationAgent (edited 03-16-2002).]

bigeyes1 Mar 17, 2002 7:28 am

Thank you, AdvantageReservationAgent, for confirming this. I have a few more questions I hope you don't mind answering.

How often do you update "Discounted Mileage Awards"? We currently have some frequent flyer seatings on hold (for Hawaii). If an offer for the discounted mileage award for Hawaii becomes available, would we be allowed to use the discounted mileage award instead of the full mileage?

What about if you already have some confirmed frequent flyer seatings and a discounted mileage award becomes available for that specific time period and destination. Will American Airlines reimburse you the difference in your AAdvantage miles? How would this situation be handled?

Thank you.