Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Changing AA(dis)Advantage ticket to Hawaii in for Cancun was a nightmare!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2002, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I spent 1 hour of my Saturday evening changing my destination from Hawaii to Cancun. It talked to no fewer than 6 Advantage desk reps, 2 supervisors and one totally helpless Customer Service rep. All of the avove mentioned employees started out the conversation with the usual line of "changing destinations will be a $50.00 charge (I already had my credit card in hand), which a was familiar with after the first agent I spoke with. It went downhill from there. I failed to mention that I had already had to change my Hawaii tickets twice. Needless to say, I finally get everything worked out with a slight shifting of dates. What is with the customer service, or lack of customer service. You would think that with all of the airlines screaming that they are losing money and passenger loads are down that they would treat their most frequent flyers (elites)a little better. Some American Airlines Advantage agents need to read the AA Customer Service policy again (found on the AA web site). AA's position is quite clear. What they say and what the do are two differnt things.
But is still fly AA! I must be crazy.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
So is the problem that it took an hour to do this?

Or is it that you had to talk to several different individuals?

Or is this just a general rant?
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I guess I should be following up and saying what I would think the post would read if I were in this situation...

AA Customer Service is good. After I decided three different times to change my dates/times of travel (and ultimately my routing) on one of AA's highest demand award tickets, the agents (with help from their supervisors) were able to help me get all of these changes.

The agents I spoke to were all very clear with me about what charges I might incur and when they were unfamiliar with how to proceed, they got assistance rather than botching my itinerary. I'm glad to know that although I spent an hour of my Saturday night that I will have no unpleasant suprises when I get to the airport to take my vacation.

While I do wish that AA Customer Service reps were mind readers and could make changes with a keystroke, I appreciate the time it takes to make such a change. I'm grateful that AA has a policy that lets me make a change to my itinerary for much less than the cost of returning the miles to my account and reissuing the ticket.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 10:39 am

techgirl,

Extremely well said!

Note: I usually won't post a reply such as this one which in my opinion is of little value since it adds no information to the thread. An exception was warranted in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.