AA Promotion - Choice Essential, Choice Plus

Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I got the 50% offer as well. My reading of the email was that you get the 50% in addition to the 50% already offered for purchasing the Choice Essential or Choice Plus options so you end up with a 100% bonus.
Choice Essential normally does not give extra miles, so with this promo you'll get 50% as a bonus.

Choice Plus normally gives 50% extra, so with this promo you'll get a 100% bonus.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Choice Essential normally does not give extra miles, so with this promo you'll get 50% as a bonus.

Choice Plus normally gives 50% extra, so with this promo you'll get a 100% bonus.
Ah gotcha makes sense! Still learning the ins-and-outs of the AA terminology, I'm only conversational in AA terminology right now, not quite fluent like I am with UA
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

All the routes under AALAX promotion will be a great add-on bonus miles with this promotion. The BDL, IND, CMH, and IND have great potentials to get you 20k RDM at around $450 of Choice Plus, which is almost enough to grab a domestic saver RT.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Oct 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 12, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Ah gotcha makes sense! Still learning the ins-and-outs of the AA terminology, I'm only conversational in AA terminology right now, not quite fluent like I am with UA
No problem-it is not always fast nor easy to learn.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I saw it and I was tempted, especially if it was cheap, but on the upcoming trips I'm taking it's at a minimum a $60-70 upgrade and I don't need flexible flights so I'm going to pass. Would have been a nice touch had I not had status.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
1000 miles

I also got the 1000 mile version

I have booked the Choice Plus fare in the past, in August, as a PLAT, on a 4-leg transcon, it was an extra $88, and my benefits were a third free checked bag, the 50% bonus miles, premium drinks on each segment, and re-book flexibility

Here's my experience:
- Get to DCA, go to 1st/Plat line, get my bags checked, requested to pay $150 for third bag. I respond it's included in my fare. The ticket counter needs 5 minutes to confirm this is actually the case and fix it in the system
- Same experience checking bag on return at RNO, except with a bad attitude from ticket counter, and closer to 15 minutes to get my 3rd bag checked
- No premium drinks offered to me on any segment
- One segment didn't post, so neither did the 50% bonus miles for the segment

On writing a complaint via website form, AA gave me a $100 voucher and said to file a missing segment form.

Filed via webform again for the missing segment, was posted, but not the 50% bonus miles

After another week, called to inquire on missing 50% bonus for the late posting segment. Explained the situation, was put on hold for about 15 minutes, and the phone agent was able to get it posted

It's worth the price/hassle you need to check bags, especially a third - it seems regardless of the "included" bags in your fare or benefits, the incremental bag is always at an escalated price -- you'll need to fight with the check-in counter, it seems there is nothing in their computer that indicates you have purchased a 'bundle fare'

I'm likely to try again for my upcoming December flight, I want flexibility in case snow doesn't pan out in early December
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
My company uses Egencia and there's no way to select it through their interface... Just might not be possible. Heck, it's not even a separate fare class. It's like if you try to pay for priority boarding. Choice essential/plus is a bundle of extras instead of a fare, so I don't think many corporate sites can see the option.
This was precisely the reason AA gave a couple of years ago when they tried to stop dealing with GDSs. They wanted booking tools to use their Direct Connect interface (http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Genera...ct_connect.jsp) to allow the sale of auxiliary products.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 4aks
Aren't you supposed to order beer or wine in coach to get this benefit? I assume that in theory a FA would know that you don't have to pay for them. As if you were an EXP.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 4aks
I also got the 1000 mile version

I have booked the Choice Plus fare in the past, in August, as a PLAT, on a 4-leg transcon, it was an extra $88, and my benefits were a third free checked bag, the 50% bonus miles, premium drinks on each segment, and re-book flexibility

Here's my experience:
- Get to DCA, go to 1st/Plat line, get my bags checked, requested to pay $150 for third bag. I respond it's included in my fare. The ticket counter needs 5 minutes to confirm this is actually the case and fix it in the system
- Same experience checking bag on return at RNO, except with a bad attitude from ticket counter, and closer to 15 minutes to get my 3rd bag checked
- One segment didn't post, so neither did the 50% bonus miles for the segment

On writing a complaint via website form, AA gave me a $100 voucher and said to file a missing segment form.

Filed via webform again for the missing segment, was posted, but not the 50% bonus miles

After another week, called to inquire on missing 50% bonus for the late posting segment. Explained the situation, was put on hold for about 15 minutes, and the phone agent was able to get it posted

It's worth the price/hassle you need to check bags, especially a third - it seems regardless of the "included" bags in your fare or benefits, the incremental bag is always at an escalated price -- you'll need to fight with the check-in counter, it seems there is nothing in their computer that indicates you have purchased a 'bundle fare'

I'm likely to try again for my upcoming December flight, I want flexibility in case snow doesn't pan out in early December
The drink portion should be printed out when you get your ticket at check-in (the one time I had choice plus, pre-EXP, I checked in at the airport, got my BP, and then got another BP-size paper that said 'good for one drink'). If you do OLCI and use the mobile BP they have the drink voucher on there so you can bring it up and show it to the FA
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
The drink portion should be printed out when you get your ticket at check-in (the one time I had choice plus, pre-EXP, I checked in at the airport, got my BP, and then got another BP-size paper that said 'good for one drink'). If you do OLCI and use the mobile BP they have the drink voucher on there so you can bring it up and show it to the FA
I checked in at the counter, didn't receive this voucher. It was hard enough just to get my bags checked properly.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Anyone know if the ticket has to be booked after Oct 11 to qualify? Or if it's already booked and you travel during the stated period, will that qualify?

I have one later in the month booked last month.

Also, is it on the whole ticket or just one segment?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by grrizzli
Aren't you supposed to order beer or wine in coach to get this benefit? I assume that in theory a FA would know that you don't have to pay for them. As if you were an EXP.
I don't think Choice Plus beverage extras show up on the manifest like EXP status. As flyerdude88 points out, you have to give them the voucher. Heck, I even get the voucher as an EXP.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I actually like having the Choice Plus and Choice Essential option when booking and have used it on all my coach AA flights since it popped up as an option because I always check a bag and that covers most of the extra cost and I don't have to deal with paying for the bag each way when I check in.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Miesque
I actually like having the Choice Plus and Choice Essential option when booking and have used it on all my coach AA flights since it popped up as an option because I always check a bag and that covers most of the extra cost and I don't have to deal with paying for the bag each way when I check in.
Just get status and this isn't a problem
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My offer and terms and conditions for preservation purposes:

Code:
This email was sent to [email protected] because you subscribe to 
American News and Offers.

This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email directly 
from American Airlines. No registration is required.

AAdvantage bonus miles do not count toward elite status qualification or 
Million MilerSM status. The 1,000 mile bonus is a one‑time bonus which 
applies to the first completed round‑trip or one‑way trip booked and flown 
between October 11 and December 15, 2013 on an eligible Choice Essential 
or Choice Plus fare. A completed round‑trip or one‑way trip is defined as 
travel booked in a single reservation. Subsequent trips flown during the 
offer period and/or travel booked prior to October 11, 2013 are not eligible 
to receive the bonus. Bonus applies only to travel completed by the 
AAdvantage member receiving this offer and will be posted to the traveling 
AAdvantage member's account within 4 to 6 weeks following the end of the 
offer period. 

^For additional information about each individual product, please refer to 
the Terms and Conditions by visiting aa.com/traveloptions. 

Choice Essential and Choice Plus are only available on flights within the 
continental United States and operated and marketed by American Airlines, 
or marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle® or 
American Connection® carriers. These travel options are non‑transferrable 
within a reservation or between passengers' reservations.

Third checked bag fee waived for AAdvantage Gold and Platinum members, 
fourth bag for AAdvantage Executive Platinum.

This email has been sent on behalf of American Airlines. We are happy to 
help you with any questions or concerns you may have. For all inquires 
about American Airlines or the AAdvantage® program, visit 
www.aa.com/contactaa, send an email to [email protected] or contact us 
in writing at American Airlines, 4255 Amon Carter Blvd., MD 2400, Fort 
Worth, TX 76155-2503.

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program 
and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the 
AAdvantage program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect 
your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have 
accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage miles earned through this 
promotion/offer do not count towards elite-status qualification or Million 
MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services 
offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the 
AAdvantage program, visit aa.com/AAdvantage.

A portion or all travel booked on American Airlines may be operated by 
American Eagle® or American Connection®. American Eagle service is 
operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., 
ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., or Republic Airline Inc. American Connection 
service is operated by Chautauqua Airlines, Inc.

American Airlines, American Eagle, American Connection, AAdvantage, 
Million Miler and the Flight Symbol logo are marks of American Airlines, 
Inc.

oneworld is a registered trademark of oneworld Alliance, LLC.

© 2013 American Airlines, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

This email and any information or files transmitted with it are solely for the 
confidential use of the recipient. This message contains confidential and 
proprietary information of American Airlines (such as American employee, 
customer and business data) that may not be read, searched, distributed or 
otherwise used by anyone other than the intended recipient. If you have 
received this email in error please notify the sender and promptly delete 
this message and its attachments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.