AA Luggage?

Old Mar 11, 02, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dont matter anymore...
AA Luggage?

My trusty old rolling carry on has finally had it. A classic American Tourister that has held it's own for well over 4 years and 450k miles.

I was in TJ Maxx today and they have among other "name" brands American Airlines luggage by Olympia. Seems decent enough. It has double "rollerblade" style wheels on each side, expandable, lots of pockets, and an interesting water bottle holder for the carry on roller.

The best feature, because it has a few scuffs on it (like it won't have that in a couple of weeks anyway), is the price: $50. The big one is $70.

They also have a bunch of Travelpro carry on's that are smaller for $150. Looks like TJ Maxx is making good with the pre-scuffed luggage. Anyone use the "AA" brand?

Flip
Old Mar 11, 02, 7:05 pm

Nah.
I swear by Tumi.
When it comes to luggage, Cheap is epensive.
At least for a serious traveler. Trust me Buy "TUMI" Brand. There is a 30% sale on discontinued models. Expensive, but worth it.
Old Mar 11, 02, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I go for TJ Maxx and also have found a very nice bag at Tom Thumb! I used to buy and use TUMI for air travel but lost interest in doing that.

I bought a really big Samsonite roller hard side roller bag on E-bags for about $60.00 after all the discounts were subtracted.

When I'm traveling by car, I feel free to use my TUMI or other nice bags.

The inventory at TJMaxx varies from store to store. It pays to shop at a couple of them if you aren't finding exactly what you want.

Old Mar 12, 02, 1:56 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
I swear by Samsonite. Used to swear by Delsey, until a wheel on my case went AWOL whilst walking across Gatwick South terminal...
Old Mar 12, 02, 7:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have a "world's ultimate" or similar description rei duffle bag that i got on discontinued clearence about 10 yrs ago. it is sort of waterproof, has worn well, and is still very usable. i would like to have another.... but thats life. all luggage should be water resistant enough to withstand 20 minutes in the rain..... edit to add " this is probably the wrong forum"

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 02, 7:33 am
Suspended

tumi for me!! dakota (made by the makers of tumi, one level lower on the totem pole) is okay also.
Old Mar 12, 02, 7:36 am

You can get the whole AA branded set for only $299. TUMI is expensive (but I think is also very good quality). I would probably go for the TravelPro for $150 over the AA licensed stuff.

Edited to add: Sorry for the ugly URL. You can also get to this through AA.com and going to "Licensed Merchandise"

URL=https://www.im.aa.com/American?BV_EngineID=dladcdhmfdklgbfemcflmcflhdggg .14&form%25category_store_id=101&BV_Operation=Dyn_ CategoryReceive&form%25category_cnt_type=2&form%25 cate gory]https://www.im.aa.com/American?BV_EngineID=dladcdhmfdklgbfemcflmcflhdggg .14&form%25category_store_id=101&BV_Operation=Dyn_ CategoryReceive&form%25category_cnt_type=2&form%25 cat egory[/URL] _oid=-15533&form%25category_name=Luggage+Set&form%25cate gory_type=2&form%25observe_selected=1&BV_SessionID =AAaa1226160880.1015943583aaAA&form%25position=uns pecified&form%25destinat ion=%2fpands%2fpandscontent.tmpl&form%25category_p arent_oid=-15531&form%25classname=Dyn_CategoryContentLink&for m%25destination_type=template&submit%25form=&form% 25action=select&BV_ ServiceName=American

[This message has been edited by 767-322ETOPS (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 02, 9:23 am

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:

The best feature, because it has a few scuffs on it (like it won't have that in a couple of weeks anyway), is the price: $50. The big one is $70.
</font>
Just last week, I picked up an AT rollaboard for $48 including tax at Sam's Club. Not the best I've ever seen, but better than I expected for the price. The box was beaten up, but the luggage itself was in brand new condition.

-Nathan
Old Mar 12, 02, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP & Lounge, HH Gold, ex-NW & HP Gold (RIP), ex-WN A-List Pref
Does anyone have any experience with the Ricardo of Beverly Hills line of luggage, particularly the stuff sold at Costco?

Thanks.

------------------
Without my wings, you know I'd surely die
Old Mar 12, 02, 8:41 pm

My rollaboard came from Costco..their house brand..and carries a lifetime guarantee. After having it a year more or less one of the straps came unstitched so I took it back. No questions they handed me the cash back and I went into the store and bought the exact same bag again.

When shopping for the bag we compared zippers, fabric density, etc., and found that Costco house brand has as good quality as TravelPro and Tumi.
Old Mar 12, 02, 9:01 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA; temporarily in Pensacola Beach, FL; no, I have NO elite status in ANYTHING yet - but working on AA Lifetime GLD!
Bought a Skyway Tri-Fold garment bag from eBags.com - $31 delivered - and love it! It folds up and fits in the overhead bin so it's a real carry-on.

I stuffed it with a thick wetsuit (7 mm), leather jacket, t-shirts, shoes, toilet bag - and it still slid easily into the 'size-right' thingie at the airport. Best $30 I ever spent.

- Sameer
Old Mar 13, 02, 7:12 am

Programs: AS MVP & Lounge, HH Gold, ex-NW & HP Gold (RIP), ex-WN A-List Pref
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by summerdawn:
When shopping for the bag we compared zippers, fabric density, etc., and found that Costco house brand has as good quality as TravelPro and Tumi.</font>
Thanks! Good to know that your research indicates a bag that costs half as much compares favorably to the two acknowledged leaders.

------------------
Without my wings, you know I'd surely die
Old Mar 13, 02, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 3.1MM, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Western Airlines:
Does anyone have any experience with the Ricardo of Beverly Hills line of luggage, particularly the stuff sold at Costco?

Thanks.

</font>

The Ricardo Bev Hills piece I bought (a rolling garment bag) fell apart after about 18 months of not very intense international travel. I would not buy one of their pieces again. Replaced it with a TravelPro - no complaints.
Old Mar 13, 02, 9:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

If you're ever near Rhode Island, there's a Samsonite factory store here (near Providence, forgot the town but can look it up). They have the best prices around, with a selection that beats any of their outlets.
Old Mar 13, 02, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
My Ricardo roll-on and tote are about 4 years and well over 300,000 miles old and are still going strong. We took them around the world in 1999 and they held up very well. I love them because they're red and when I do check them in they are sooo easy to spot on the carousel. I have noticed a few other red bags lately though and I'm hoping this is not a trend.

Chris