Fares Going All Over the Place

Old Mar 5, 02, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fares Going All Over the Place

Anyone notice that AA seems to be going crazy changing their fares?

I came across a $225 r/t LGA-FLL on AA.com for memorial day weekend last night. After I entered my credit card I got some weird error messages, and when I tried to rebook the fare was $265. Neither the plt desk nor AA.com tech support could help me. They said maybe someone else snagged the last seat at that fare. Or maybe I pulled it out of inventory myself even though it was never actually purchased.

Then, today I checked again. Same flights, $190. I tried checking alternative flight times - $265. I checked back on the original flights - $225. All within the span of 2 minutes. Finally booked and confirmed the $225.

What's going on?
Old Mar 5, 02, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you use the CBAAE code? It would save $10.
Old Mar 5, 02, 9:33 pm

I had something similar happen yesterday morning.
Priced a DFW-ATL ticket for next week at $350. I left aa.com, did something, and got a price of $400 some 10 minutes later.
Bought the ticket last night for $350.
I usually go to Orbitz to see the full array of prices and then to come back to aa.com.
Mark, Dallas
Old Mar 6, 02, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens all the time. Unfortunately AA.com, unline united.com, doesn't show how many seats are available for each inventory bucket, otherwise you can see the fluctuations yourself. Add to this the fact that thousands of fares are added/changed/removed every day, then you get the seemingly psychotic behavior you've witnessed. And it's all due to yield management (squeezing as much as possible from every seat by holding just the right number available for last-minute high-fare passengers) and meeting competitive offers/specials/new fares/etc.
Old Mar 6, 02, 1:38 am

Ah, do you know when AA. com will give 4K bonus miles for the first online purchase?

I am losing miles by holding off purchasing online til this comes back, which seems to be yearly.

Thanks.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver
Old Mar 6, 02, 7:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I've been looking for a low AA fare to MCO for awhile now. Apparently the middle of March is spring break in the northeast, and all of the flights are full or limited to coach seats. AA flights were $700++, and other carriers were still high but under $600.
Old Mar 6, 02, 7:53 am

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExpoTrac:
I've been looking for a low AA fare to MCO for awhile now. Apparently the middle of March is spring break in the northeast, and all of the flights are full or limited to coach seats. AA flights were $700++, and other carriers were still high but under $600.</font>
South Florida, even MCO, is hard to find cheap fares between Presidents Day and the end of April. I couldnt get a flight to go home for spring break for less than $325 on a fare that should cost me $200 or less. Went home the weekend after President's Day for $270 for the weekend, but the weekend before would have been $500... with ample purchasing time.
Your best bet is to play with the dates and times as much as you can. Demand to go down to FL within those months is really high, especially with all the connections to the hot spring break spots (i.e. NAS, MBJ, CUN, etc) mostly being from MCO, FLL, and MIA.

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Platinum
Old Mar 7, 02, 12:01 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eli Gorin:
South Florida, even MCO, is hard to find cheap fares between Presidents Day and the end of April.
</font>
As a point of reference, my fare to MCO today cost me $289, while my booking for mid-April cost $250. It's been quite some time since I've had to pay more than $300 to Orlando. Strangely enough, I had serious difficulty booking this fare on aa.com, but they blamed it on a connection problem with Sabre. I had to go through the entire booking process three times. The first two it told me that it couldn't complete my reservation and made me start over. The next lowest fare was about $350, IIRC.

FWIW, the Delta Express flight MCO-CMH that I booked last week for travel tomorrow cost $213/person. If I had booked only 12 hours earlier, it would have been $196/person.

-Nathan
Old Mar 8, 02, 1:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wierdo:
FWIW, the Delta Express flight MCO-CMH that I booked last week for travel tomorrow cost $213/person. If I had booked only 12 hours earlier, it would have been $196/person.</font>
One of the reasons I stopped flying AA domestic to go home so much was because AA pulled out of the DCA-FLL market and left it to USScare and Delta Express. The DX flight was very convenient in terms of time and cost. But since 9/11, DX has pulled out of the DCA-FLL market and my only option is USScare which I will not fly again or Spirit which I wont even consider. Now that I have PLT on AA I am sticking to DCA-MIA unless I can get some more simple routing to FLL.
Now if AA can just bring back DCA-FLL they can take over that market and reap the benefits... especially with new connecting flights from FLL to CCS or other Caribbean locales.
(and for those who say they have no need to do so with so many dailies to MIA, it is a completely different market and a much preferable airport than MIA).

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Platinum

[This message has been edited by Eli Gorin (edited 03-08-2002).]
Old Mar 8, 02, 7:24 am
Suspended

MCO (orlando, FL) is mind-boggling expensive right now. i love how i paid $91.80 on delta in january and now its $300+.
Old Mar 8, 02, 8:13 am

AA did some fiddling with fares on Wed night, making attempts to boost yields. Some Advanced Purchases requirements were tightened. 3-day AP fares became 7 day. 10 day AP to 14 day. Minimum stay requirements went from 2 days to 1 day. So far, CO has matched the 3 to 7 day AP change.
Old Mar 11, 02, 8:21 am

Programs: AA
...yet sometimes you can score if you're willing to wait and pounce. I managed to book BOS/MCO Feb 15th for a flight this Thursday (returning on Monday) for $159 after CBAA discount.

The hitch: I have to fly BOS/JFK, take a cab to LGA, and then LGA/MCO. Return flight is non-stop.

Second hitch: I tried and tried to find a mileage-stretching routing, but couldn't come close to this fare with any other choice that day. Someone must have cancelled a low-fare ticket that I lucked into. Oh well, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: