Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citibank to Discontinue AAdvantage Visa Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2001, 11:28 am

Citibank recently converted my Visa into a MC, but when I complained they immediately gave me back the Visa. The bad news was that my card number changed twice within a month, but the good news is that I received 3000 miles start-up bonus for the "new" Visa card.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 11:33 am

I have not had any communication from Citibank that indicates they are going to do this. There is also nothing on their website(at least that I could find). If they are planning to do this why wouldn't they notify us? Or are you saying they are notifying customers upon renewal?

Are they offering bonuses to people who convert? Please define "upgrading" to a CitiMC. What does that mean?(or is it just spin). What I gather from these posts is that every Citibank AA Visa is being converted to a World MC?

With as many people who do direct charges these days, Citbank risks alienting a large customer base. Changing direct payments are a pain.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 1:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
I think this actually has something to do with FTC action to increase competition in the credit card industry. Basically, the gov claimed that no real competition existed between VISA and MC, so this is the result. I think we will gradually see many issures switch to Visa or MC. Sorry I don't remember more details.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 5:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
[b]dgordon/b], I've head of special promos (like the current Marriott double points/double nights) that require visa, but I don't think I've ever seen an establishment that would only take visa (and not MC).</font>
There are many stores in Canada that only accept Visa (and not Master Card).

Citibank in Canada officialy dropped Visa and all cardmembers either switched to Master Card or cancelled their Visa accounts.

AS a note, Credit card issuers in Canada can only issue Visa or MasterCard but not both!
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Often if you call about something, they offer this "upgrade." There are some perks with the "world" card. I believe that every quarter there are discounted award tickets - certain destinations allow 5000 less miles, a perk you might already have with a gold card. I think the world card interest rate is higher. They will give you a statement at the end of the year if you request one. It's like you get the benefits of a gold card, but at the lower level. And you can go over your limit.AGain, as I stated earlier, if you have a visa, you can call Citibank and tell them to put you on "no conversion." That way it won't happen accidentally.

------------------
DtG
Old Mar 4, 2002, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by globalflight:
Two nights ago I had my AAdvantage Citibank World Master Card converted to a Visa Signature. While, they said that they were converting people over to Mastercard I had no trouble getting a Visa card. </font>
What do you (or anyone) think about the Visa Signature?

I was thinking of upgrading my Visa Gold, though the annual fee is the same, they want to jack up the annual interest rate by about 7% if I get the Signature.

d
Old Mar 4, 2002, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
What do you (or anyone) think about the Visa Signature?

I was thinking of upgrading my Visa Gold, though the annual fee is the same, they want to jack up the annual interest rate by about 7% if I get the Signature.

d
</font>
We just got the AA Signature Visa. Did have a BA Signature Visa and were very happy with it (cancelled it to get the AA one). Signature has a special customer service desk and they are very nice and professional. We pay the bill in full every month so the interest rate is not an issue for us.

------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 4:40 pm

What is the lowest interest rate anybody has gotten from citi bank? 8.75% variable on purchases here. Family member has perfect credit and had 12.9%. Told them to call and threaten to cancel and tell them that their Interest rate is too high. They were told that was the lowest they offered for that type fo credit card. Having the exact same credit card, I told her she was mistaken, I said I could prove it. She goes sir this is the citibank WORLD PLATINUM AAdvantage card. Again I told her I had that same card, again she told me I was mistaken. Gave her my credit card number and she looked it up. She apologized and said she had never seen an interest rate so low on a CITI Word........ She then said she was not able to lower it. That's when I requested a supv. She put me on hold and boom, it was done in about 2 minutes!
Old Mar 4, 2002, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine is prime plus 3% (and change), so it's somewhere under 9% right now.

d
Old Mar 4, 2002, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know what the mileage earning limit is on the Platinum Signature card?

I decided to upgrade to Sig, I'll worry about the APR later if it's necessary. The woman told me that on the Plat the mileage earning limit was 200,000 per year, but the Web site says it's 100,000.

Of course, as an elite it doesn't make a difference to me, but my parents charge like nobody's business and have to be sure to switch between their cards halfway through the year so they don't lose out. 200,000 versus 100,000 would make a big difference for them, so before I tell them to switch I'd like to know if anyone has an authoritative information (phone reps aren't usually authoritative).

d
Old Mar 4, 2002, 9:18 pm

Sdix: You were getting double AA miles for your AA purchases on a Citibank Visa? Are you sure?
Old Mar 4, 2002, 11:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The Olympics only took Visa. I was in the Peaks Hockey Venue and wanted to buy several of the Hockey Pucks and they would only take Visa and Cash. Since I carry MC and Amex I had to pay cash.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Does anyone know what the mileage earning limit is on the Platinum Signature card?
d
</font>
It is 100,000, not 200,000. The woman you spoke to was wrong.

If your parents charge up a storm, they should get two Citi AA cards and switch 1/2 thru the year but earn all the miles into the same AAdv. account. If they charge close to 200,000 a year they'll have lifetime Gold rather quickly (assuming they also fly and earn miles other ways and that they already have miles in their account) so then they won't ever have to worry about the mileage cap again.

------------------
I Love New York
Old Mar 5, 2002, 7:46 am

On the std Citibank AA Visa, you get double miles for all charges made by AA. You no longer have this benefit on the MC

To follow up on my last message, they convinced me to "convert" which I did. They however did not cancel my Visa which they just renewed yesterday so I now have a AA Visa and a AA M/C.

They did create a new Advantage account which I had to convince the EXP desk to merge and now gather miles from both but the reality is the Visa is the better card for me.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 8:55 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
Wrong Citibank... Citibank USA issues Hilton VISA and Citibank N.A. issues AAdvantage credit cards. Two separate entities.</font>
I just got my Hilton Visa bill. It included an insert that my (& everyone's) accounts are being transferred from CB/USA to CB/South Dakota NA as of March 1, 2002.
I called for more info & was told that the 2 entities will merge into one this year. When it happens, I will consider merging my AA account into my HHonors account because I need free hotel rooms more than free air. Also, I want to avoid the annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.