Search

Last AA 727 departure from DFW on March 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2002, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Last AA 727 departure from DFW on March 1

--AA 1108 TONIGHT IS THE FINAL DFW 727 DEPARTURE--

Tonight, DFW's last scheduled 727 flight will get a fond employee send-off. AA 1108, DFW-ATL, is scheduled to depart DFW Gate C2 at 8:40 p.m. CST.

DFW Flight will commemorate the occasion with an employee and customer reception in the Yandry Center, just across from the departure gate, beginning at 7 p.m. Historic photos, decorations and a 727-model raffle will help commemorate the end of an era at DFW. The C.R. Smith Museum shop will sell die-cast AA 727 models. A water cannon salute is planned as aircraft N889AA taxis out.

The final 727 arrival at DFW will be Saturday morning, as AA1638 arrives from CUN at 9:54 a.m. CST (no formal events are planned).

As of March 2, AA will have just 15 727s remaining in service and the final AA 727 flights will occur April 30 to and from MIA.

At one time, AA was the biggest 727 operator in the world, flying 182 of the venerable tri-jets since its introduction in 1964. With 38 years of continuous service, the 727 is the longest-lived type AA has ever flown. The versatile, dependable 727 - often called "the DC-3 of the Jet Age" - brought the first jet service to many smaller markets and was instrumental in helping AA transition to all-jet fleet and successfully adapt to deregulation. TWA operated 100 727s and retired its last 727 in late 2000.

More AA 727 farewell observances are planned.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 6:27 pm

Perhaps this is why the Platinum kits are so cheesy this year? (see earlier post)
Old Mar 1, 2002, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I'm really sad to see them go. They were loud, but they were fast. Too bad the new 737s can't keep the same mach number as the 727. Anybody know when the last flight is out of MIA?

The day they get rid of the F*kkers will be a great day!!!

Old Mar 2, 2002, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I love that airplane. Yeeks, showing my age!

Horrible icing conditions today at DFW! A real mess. The weather people missed this one by a mile, said it wouldn't happen!

Day off awarded by Mother Nature!
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFOJFK:

The day they get rid of the F*kkers will be a great day!!!
</font>
Only if you like being crammed in an RJ...the little F*kker's replacement.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Another tri-engine is gone. Like the DL L-1011's, they were reliable, sturdy old birds. Too bad they couldn't be quieted down a bit more with hushkits, and possibly be made a bit more economical with engine upgrades--they'd probably be able to keep flying for another 15 years.
Sorry to see them go, I liked the "reassurance" of that third fanjet.

bj-21.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 3:33 pm
Suspended

SFOJFK: when you say "They were loud, but they were fast", do they really go faster? i thought the flight plan and the FAA determine how fast the planes could fly.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
fly co: I don't remember the specific details as to speed and fuel burn, but I recall once reading that the 727 was the last "slide rule" (essentially pre-computer) airliner design; and that the actual airplane surprised the engineers because its most efficient cruise speed was 20-30 knots faster than expected while drinking six to eight percent less fuel than predicted.

The 727 is (soon I'll have to say "was") a bit faster than its competitors and replacments in normal operations, and that fact is taken into account by both airline schedulers and air traffic control.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 7:21 pm

Didn't I hear that it had to be powerful enough to handle launches from the LGA "aircraft carrier"?

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I was on one of the last DFW 727 flights yesterday and didn't realize it until mid-flight.

My seatmate DFW-PHL was an AA 727 pilot coming back from doing training time in DFW and he let me know that it was one of the last.

I always loved F on the 727 on AA... somehow made me feel like I was flying in the day and age when domestic F was still something special. Those big blue leather seats were great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.