RTW versus Regular AA Award for Asia?

Old Sep 29, 13, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat

I am debating between a OneWorld AA Explorer RTW Award in F or just a plane RT Award using AA miles to go from BOS to HKG and back and explore Asia a bit in between.

I've saved 600K AA miles and thought I'd do the RTW award, but it seems to maybe make more sense to just book an F award for 135K rt and buy cheap interasia flights esp since F flights within Asia are few and far between.

Yesterday I put BOS-JFK-HKG-JFK on hold, but was told I could not tack on a YVR segment after JFK --anyone know why not? Where else could I tack onto after JFK to take advantage of the stopover rules?

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 13, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tennisboy View Post
Yesterday I put BOS-JFK-HKG-JFK on hold, but was told I could not tack on a YVR segment after JFK --anyone know why not?
If HKG-JFK-YVR an allowed routing for HKG-YVR? When you want to 'tack on' JFK-YVR, that is a relevant question.

There's a long, deep thread on partner award rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html

It's one of many helpful threads hyperlinked from this sticky:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-awards.html
Old Sep 29, 13, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
I have read those but it was my understanding that on a BOS-JFK-HKG-JFK routing, I could tack on YVR (or LAX/SFO/MIA, etc) on the back end much later. So, say the first 4 segments are all done in May of 2014, the last segment (JFK-YVR) could be done in December. But the AA desk is telling me this will cost an extra 32K miles -- I am trying to figure out why.
Old Sep 29, 13, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE

On a regular award, that is probably beyond the maximum permitted mileage for hkg yvr
Old Sep 29, 13, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat
If you want to fly F, Explorer award is not such a good value. Flying J it will be good if you could be creative on the routing. My last trip I booked one-way to Asia in F on CX, and from Asia I start my Explorer award intra-Asia, then return to east coast via Europe, and tag on one extra one-way from my home city (since it's not an originating city so I can make a stopover). One of the reasons we choose to do Explorer on the return is because we couldn't find award space across pacific on the return, and we can do it via Europe with Explorer award without paying double the miles (it will count as two one-ways if going via Europe).
Old Sep 29, 13, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I have found award space across the pacific on my return, so I think I will just do some short hops via Avios or AA or even $$ within Asia.

As for the max allowed mileage, would JFK-LAX work? I have heard some people (see http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...omment-1127952) be able to do this.

Finally, could I fly BOS-JFK-HKG, then another One way at PEK-HKG (layover <4 hrs)-JFK for the same amount of miles as BOS-JFK-HKG-JFK? Might be the best strategy since we want to go to PEK (and NRT and some other cities) too. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 13, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

When you use a partner carrier (like CX) for the over-water segment of a one-way award with AAdvantage miles, the over-water carrier must publish a through-fare from origin to (final) destination, and that through-fare must permit the particular routing you desire. If CX's HKG-YVR fare does not permit a routing via JFK, then you cannot fly JFK-YVR on the same award.

To determine what you can "add on" after a HKG-JFK or PEK-HKG-JFK trip, you would have to find out what North American cities CX has a published through-fare for that permits routing via JFK.
Old Sep 29, 13, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Makes sense. How do I do that?
Old Sep 29, 13, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by tennisboy
Makes sense. How do I do that?
It will probably have to be trial and error. I believe Expert Flyer (which I have never used) shows this information. And I think that ITA will show whether a fare selected on a particular route is a through-fare. You can also ask AA, but AA agents (or AA's computer systems) sometimes get things wrong.

I'm pretty sure you can add on JFK-Florida or JFK-Caribbean (at least, some destinations) if you start in HKG; not sure about starting from PEK.

Note that some through-fares are mileage based; others, however, permit only specified routings.
Old Sep 29, 13, 11:42 am
Original Poster

OK it will be some trial and error. I also notice that the "hang up, call again" method seems to work too.
Old Sep 29, 13, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Also still not sure how to recognize it is a "through fare" on ITA.
Old Sep 29, 13, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also still not sure how to recognize it is a "through fare" on ITA.
If you look at the "How to Book" section of a particular itinerary on ITA, it should indicate whether one fare basis covers the entire itinerary (indicating a through-fare), or whether there are two or more fare bases listed for the trip (indicating a constructed fare). One thing to watch out for, however, is that there might be a through-fare at a higher (or lower) price point than what is shown for the particular itinerary you are checking.
Old Sep 29, 13, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Well when I put HKG to YVR in ITA, nothing comes up with a stop in JFK...only SFO/LAX...
Old Sep 29, 13, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well when I put HKG to YVR in ITA, nothing comes up with a stop in JFK...only SFO/LAX...
Try to multi-city booking engine on ITA.
Old Sep 29, 13, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...looks like 2 fares constructed, right?

Fare 1: Carrier CX F HKG to NYC (rules)
Passenger type ADT, ONE-WAY-ONLY fare, booking code F
Covers HKG-JFK (First)
HK$118,623.00
Fare 2: Carrier CX F NYC to YVR (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code F
Covers JFK-YVR (First)
HK$26,748.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) HK$39.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) HK$55.00
US Customs Fee (YC) HK$43.00
Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) HK$120.00
CX YR surcharge (YR) HK$1,114.00
US International Arrival Tax (US) HK$134.00
US International Departure Tax (US) HK$134.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) HK$20.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) HK$35.00

Subtotal per passenger HK$147,074.00
Number of passengers x1

TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES HK$147,074.00
Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
HKG CX NYC Q4.25 M 15277.78F CX YVR 3446.00F NUC 18728.03 END ROE 7.76225 XT 120HK 43YC 55XY 39XA 268US 20AY 1114YR 35XF JFK4.50

Search this Thread
Search Engine: