Is HEL gone from AA in 2014?

Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Is HEL gone from AA in 2014?

It seems that all other seasonal US-EU flights are now loaded and bookable except the ORD-HEL flight. I wonder if AA will be resuming the flight or not. Last year, these flights were loaded in mid-August, now we are in the end of September and there is no word about these flights. This year the operating season was extremely short (12JUN-26AUG), so I guess that was not a good sign either for the future of this service. I think, it would be really pity, if these flights are dropped as now AA and AY are enjoying full benefits of the T/A JBA with BA and IB. Any thoughts about this?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:37 pm

I hope HEL is still there. They seem to have a problem getting any expansion into Europe. Its tough to find convenient non-stop flights to anywhere except the major cities in western europe. I'm real disappointed that they cancelled Brussels, I still wonder about that as its basically the capital of EU.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gohogsgo
I hope HEL is still there. They seem to have a problem getting any expansion into Europe. Its tough to find convenient non-stop flights to anywhere except the major cities in western europe. I'm real disappointed that they cancelled Brussels, I still wonder about that as its basically the capital of EU.
Part of the problem is that they fly 75L's to these cities. While F is nice (despite not being a widebody), Y is positively appalling; I would rather connect in LHR on AA/BA or LHR/MUC on LH etc. to avoid Y on a 75L
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
...I would rather connect in LHR on AA/BA or LHR/MUC on LH etc. to avoid Y on a 75L
Amen! I imagine those routes will come back once the 787 arrives.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:06 pm

For the past 2 years we have booked our HEL flights from NYC through Orchard Field (ORD), both years AA has re-evaluated the route and pulled back from the times that we had planned to fly, necessitating that we fly through other AA EU destinations and then fly Finnair to HEL. Fortunately for us, AA has protected our EVIP seats up front on the routes they have asked us to fly. From the viewpoint of a tourist, HEL is a fantastic destination with lots of neat places to see with HEL as a base. There is St. Petersburg, which is just over a couple of hours on the Allegro train which hits 230 KM/hr, and Tallin in Estonia which is about 90 minutes away by hydrofoil. Also HEL has some of the most fantastic cusine in the EU with restaurants such as Olo and 4 other Michelin starred eating opportunities. HEL is a fine museum town and has established itself as the design capital of the EU. Lots of famous architechts worked here, and Arabia kitchenware, IIttalia glassware, and Marimeko fabrics and clothing are known world wide. We have visited HEL twice during the past 2 years and we would hope to return on AA using additional EVIPS. HEL also offers AA passengers a chance to take Finnair to a variety of EU countries as well as the orient.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I love Helsinki too...first time this summer and a ton of fun and great places to see like Talinn
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
It seems that all other seasonal US-EU flights are now loaded and bookable except the ORD-HEL flight. I wonder if AA will be resuming the flight or not. Last year, these flights were loaded in mid-August, now we are in the end of September and there is no word about these flights. This year the operating season was extremely short (12JUN-26AUG), so I guess that was not a good sign either for the future of this service. I think, it would be really pity, if these flights are dropped as now AA and AY are enjoying full benefits of the T/A JBA with BA and IB. Any thoughts about this?
I hope not. It has been very convenient for me. AUS-ORD-HEL. If it doesn't return at least I'll have a new option.. AUS (BA)-LHR-HEL
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:20 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I just went there this afternoon and loved it. Sadly, it would not surprise me if AA dropped it as they seem to think connecting in LHR is the answer to everything.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

Part of the problem is that they fly 75L's to these cities. While F is nice (despite not being a widebody), Y is positively appalling; I would rather connect in LHR on AA/BA or LHR/MUC on LH etc. to avoid Y on a 75L
why does everyone care about widebody vs not? my favorite Y seat is on the ERD...not too many people, simultaneous window and aisle access, rarely a line to the bathroom, generally quick service. F in the 75L is also excellent.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
why does everyone care about widebody vs not? my favorite Y seat is on the ERD...not too many people, simultaneous window and aisle access, rarely a line to the bathroom, generally quick service. F in the 75L is also excellent.
Space?

2-3-2 on the 763 and 2-5-2 on the 777 both offer far better seating arrangements than 3-3 on the 75L. On the 763, you only have to cross 1 person and on the 777, there is only 1 seat that has to cross 2.

Also, widebodies are that much more badass. They just are.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
AA has no current plans to discontinue Helsinki. It will be bookable in due time.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:50 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Beverage cart does not automatically block one's movements- two aisles mean twice as many options.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It wouldn't surprise me if it goes away. Rather I sort of expect it to not be around next summer, even as I hope this is a case where my expectations go unrealized.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
I flew HEL-ORD a few months ago. It was a 763. If upgrading, I like to avoid LHR to avoid the tax.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
For the past 2 years we have booked our HEL flights from NYC through Orchard Field (ORD), both years AA has re-evaluated the route and pulled back from the times that we had planned to fly, necessitating that we fly through other AA EU destinations and then fly Finnair to HEL. Fortunately for us, AA has protected our EVIP seats up front on the routes they have asked us to fly. From the viewpoint of a tourist, HEL is a fantastic destination with lots of neat places to see with HEL as a base. There is St. Petersburg, which is just over a couple of hours on the Allegro train which hits 230 KM/hr, and Tallin in Estonia which is about 90 minutes away by hydrofoil. Also HEL has some of the most fantastic cusine in the EU with restaurants such as Olo and 4 other Michelin starred eating opportunities. HEL is a fine museum town and has established itself as the design capital of the EU. Lots of famous architechts worked here, and Arabia kitchenware, IIttalia glassware, and Marimeko fabrics and clothing are known world wide. We have visited HEL twice during the past 2 years and we would hope to return on AA using additional EVIPS. HEL also offers AA passengers a chance to take Finnair to a variety of EU countries as well as the orient.
You just sold me on visiting HEL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.