Search

AA Delay Policies?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2002, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
AA Delay Policies?

Hi,
I am trying to find information on AA's delay policies. I know if your flight is delaye X amount of hours, they send you some kind of voucher or offer certain things. Does anyone know where I can find this?
My STL-DCA flight yesterday was sitting at the gate for almost 3 hours after departure time due to mechanical failure (hydraulic leak), and we were told we could get off the plane, but if we did, being that it is a flight to DCA, it is treated as an international flight (i found that to be an interesting comment) and we would have to remove all of our carry-ons and have to be re-screened before boarding. Needless to say this was a deterent to getting off.
Does anyone know if this constitutes any kind of voucher or what the policies are for delays. I know cancellations they have to try and rebook you, but the flight wasnt cancelled... it just arrived 3 hours late.

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Gold
Old Jan 29, 2002, 9:54 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
My advice - call C.R. and ask. I have heard throught he grapevine that if you have amechanical resulting in 5 1/2 hours or more, depending on your elite level you may get something.

3 hours I have no idea?

Your question is a good one.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:40 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
under rule 240 compensation begins, i believe, at 2 hours (for non 'forece majeure' events). the dollar amounts go up as the hours increase, though i don't have it in front of me!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:41 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I just had an 8 hour delay on AA 905 MIA-GIG the other night. Traveling on a discount fare (N Class)with VIPOW to C Class. Being EXP I got hotel room, 35$ dinner and 15$ breakfast coupon.
Still waiting for a nice letter from executive office with an apology and some miles....let's see.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 4:13 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Rule 240 does not provide any compensation other than a hotel room, meal vouchers, a telephone calling card and ground transportation (excluding force majeure). Any compensation such as vouchers, miles, etc., is solely for customer goodwill. If you want vouchers or miles, ask for them, don't demand them.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 4:24 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

no, i distinctly remember seeing a chart under a rule 240 description stating the values for each hour delayed for a non-force majeure event. i will try to find it and post it here.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 6:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
no, i distinctly remember seeing a chart under a rule 240 description stating the values for each hour delayed for a non-force majeure event. i will try to find it and post it here.</font>
I'm no expert, but you might be thinking of compensation when you are involuntarily denied boarding (bumped). I think then you are entitled to some factor of what you paid for your ticket.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:59 am
Used to be Sydneysider

maybe that's it... i just remember seeing a chart with dollar values next to hour increments. i will post a link to it if i can find it again.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 7:41 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Hi: previously a flyertalker shared this with everyone:
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/
consumer/05_01/05_09a_2.html
It gave the rules for every airline and it does tell you the rules if a flight is delayed or cancelled. good luck.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 8:25 am
sim

Thanks for the info Marysunshine. I have a quick question maybe one of you can answer can you use rule 240 when traveling on award tickets? I have a flight in April to Mexico that has been overbooked for months. I'm a little nervous and would feel better knowing all my rights prior to getting to the airport. I figure if I know my rights now I'll get there and I won't even need to know. Thanks
Sue
Old Jan 30, 2002, 8:50 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
under rule 240... </font>
This is one pet-peeve of mine... THERE IS NO RULE 240 ANYMORE!

Rule 240 was an old Civil Aeronautics Board rule back before deregulation. After deregulation, many airlines put similar statements into their conditions of carriage, but it is not a requirement.

Greg
Old Jan 30, 2002, 9:59 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It is a requirement if it's in the Contract of Carriage. CO and UA still call it "240", while AA (and US?) don't. But we all know what "240" means: flight delays and cancellations.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 2:07 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
It is a requirement if it's in the Contract of Carriage. CO and UA still call it "240", while AA (and US?) don't. But we all know what "240" means: flight delays and cancellations.</font>
My comment about it being a requirement is that an airline doesn't have to put it in its Contract of Carriage, although almost all do.

I agree that most people understand the term "rule 240" but it is just slang these days... not necessarily the specific rule.

Greg
Old Feb 2, 2002, 9:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marysunshine:
Hi: previously a flyertalker shared this with everyone:
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/
consumer/05_01/05_09a_2.html
It gave the rules for every airline and it does tell you the rules if a flight is delayed or cancelled. good luck.
</font>
When I try this link I don't get rules info, I get info about seats. What date was this posted? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.