Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New rules for mileage credit when flight is cancelled due to weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2002, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond

On 1/16 I was flying to San Francisco when my AA flight SWF-ORD was cancelled and I was put on a United flight to IAD and then on to SFO, again on United. I was assured by the AA ground agent that I would definitely get q-miles for the flight even though I was now flying on the competition. It was through no fault of mine that I wasn't on AA metal. When I called AA Customer Service a few days later to check and make sure they posted my miles as q-miles I was told they could not give me double miles but would give me the miles flown. Today I noticed that the miles had posted as a bonus and were not q-miles. I immediately called the Exp Desk and whined. Donna at the desk agreed with me that somewhere someone had goofed. She put me on hold and talked to Customer Service. She was successful but she told me Customer Service said they would no longer credit miles like this as q-miles if the cancellation was not due to mechanical trouble. Am I unreasonable when I say I have absolutely no control over the weather at ORD and therefore should not be penalized for it? I was there, two hours early, ready to fly. It seems to me the mileage is not that great an amount(I think it was about 2500 miles) and this is no way to keep people flying. Donna on the Exp Desk said she had to draw their attention to the fact that I'm Exp and a million miler in order to get them to relent. If I were Gold or Platinum I should still get the miles.

Am I wrong? Please be gentle, dear readers, I don't make scenes and I don't demand more than I believe is right. If I was out of line about this I'd like someone to tell me. I know I have had this happen in the past (anyone who goes through ORD in the winter has had this happen) and never had a problem getting q-miles. I'm not even asking for bonus miles, although I won't refuse them if AA is reading.

Has anyone else run into this or am I all alone out here in q-less mile territory?

Chris
Old Jan 26, 2002, 8:17 pm

While I don't think it's particularly fair, AA's official policy is that you don't get miles if your flight is canceled or if you're reaccommodated on another carrier. The official rules say:

"No mileage credit will be awarded for canceled flights or if you are accommodated on another airline."

That being said, I have in the past been able to get Q-miles for a canceled flight, though it was not weather related.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 9:19 pm

I agree that if it is AA's fault you should get the Q miles when flying on another airline. If it is an act of God, then you are out of luck. All weather related delays/cancellations are considered an act of God and AA is not required to compensate you.

You should feel lucky that they were able to get you on the United flight.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 9:43 pm

I had a flight cancelled in December, 2001 due to weather.
Extract from letter from Aadvantage Gold dated January 2, 2002:
-----------------------
We understand that Aadvantage mileage is one reason customers specifically select American Airlines when scheduling their trips, and I'm sorry that your plans had to be changed. Nevertheless, it is not our general policy to credit Aadvantage mileage for segments that are not actually flown on American. We feel this is reasonable since we do not receive revenue for these segments, and since mileage often is credited by the other carrier in its frequent traveler program.
This policy governs cancelled flights, misconnections, voluntary pversales and similar situations in which an originally scheduled American flight is not taken,
.....blah blah blah
signed D.K.
-------------------------
My guess is that the above is the new policy. I didn't follow up or complain. AA lost (pre-tax) $12 million dollars per day last quarter. I'm accepting this as a consequence of hard times.
PS. Post above is accepted. I was happy that they indeed did put me on another carrier and got me home that same day.
Mark, Dallas
Old Jan 28, 2002, 6:46 pm

Last March I was flying Rome-ORD and the flight was canceled due to snow in Chicago; I was put on Alitalia to JFK. I called Aadavantage from JFK asking if I could get the FCO-ORD miles, and got them without hesitation. It was even my Gold qualifying flight. I also got a several hundred extra miles from the JFK-LAX flight as opposed to ORD-LAX. Maybe you should call back and ask again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.