Checked luggage allowance AA/AS domestic connection

Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Checked luggage allowance AA/AS domestic connection

On my way from MSP via ORD to ANC I flew in AA F MSP-ORD then in AS F ORD-ANC. AA allowed me to check three pieces for no charge all the way to ANC. This was all on one ticket.

Now I will be returning ANC-ORD (AS in F) then ORD-MSP (AA in F) with a direct connection in ORD. Isn't there a rule that the checked luggage allowance for the initial flight is what you are allowed for the entire itinerary on the same ticket? I am hoping to be able to check three pieces returning for no charge, but AS website seems to say that AS F pax are only allowed two free checked pieces.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I believe your third bag will be $20. I don't believe you'll be able to successfully argue that you got it coming so you should get it going, but you could always try and be ready with the $20 just in case. I'd avoid arguing the point if you are asked to pay, though.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was this on a single through ticket? If so, then the luggage policies stay the same the whole way

It will state on your ticket which was emailed to you when the ticket was issued what your baggage allowance is
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Dave Noble makes a good point, recent changes remove this ambiguity: the baggage policies will be from the first carrier on the itinerary or, in the case of codeshares, the marketing carrier whose code is displayed. By my reading of this, the only way you could be hit for the third bag would be if your first MSP-ORD flight was an AS-marketed flight (though I admit I've not tried to use these rules in practice).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
Similar question

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Was this on a single through ticket? If so, then the luggage policies stay the same the whole way

It will state on your ticket which was emailed to you when the ticket was issued what your baggage allowance is
Hello all. Greetings.

I have a similar question. I will be flying AA F SFO-JFK and then connecting BA (OpenSkies) J JFK-ORY. I am also a OneWorld Sapphire member. Due to traveling alone (and studying in France for two months), I am planning on bringing one piece of (checked) luggage and one carry-on luggage with me. However, the checked luggage would definitely go over 51lbs, but would be under 70lbs. Do I need to pay extra for the overweight luggage? BA (OpenSkies) says that I would have to. However, being a business class flyer as well as Sapphire member, I'd be exempted from the rules and therefore I won't have to pay the fees. I am not so sure about AA.

Thank you!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:39 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Yes, a single through ticket. I thought that this rule applies but when I look at my e-ticket receipt it says that the info is not currently available for checked luggage. I found the info online about the luggage allowance needing to be the same for the entire journey so hopefully that will help.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fti
Yes, a single through ticket. I thought that this rule applies but when I look at my e-ticket receipt it says that the info is not currently available for checked luggage.
Please take five minutes and send a complaint to AA and cc: the DOT. Compliance is not optional by AA.

This forum is going to get awfully constipated if 50-million AA flyers annually start a new thread, 'What's my luggage allowance?'
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:54 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Please take five minutes and send a complaint to AA and cc: the DOT. Compliance is not optional by AA.

This forum is going to get awfully constipated if 50-million AA flyers annually start a new thread, 'What's my luggage allowance?'
Thanks for your thoughts. It is AS I am worried about, not AA. Also, 50 million+ AA flyers are not all on FT, so no worries there. Also I did three searches to try and find a similar thread to mine and couldn't find one. If you have a link to one addressing this issue, I would love it if you provided a link to it. Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Microwave
Dave Noble makes a good point, recent changes remove this ambiguity: the baggage policies will be from the first carrier on the itinerary or, in the case of codeshares, the marketing carrier whose code is displayed. By my reading of this, the only way you could be hit for the third bag would be if your first MSP-ORD flight was an AS-marketed flight (though I admit I've not tried to use these rules in practice).
The DOT rule is quite simple. The allowance for the first segment applies to the entire itinerary. When OP returns, he will receive the first segment allowance for his third & fourth segments as well.

This won't be a problem with AS as they can see the quoted baggage allowance when OP checks his bags in.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The DOT rule is quite simple. The allowance for the first segment applies to the entire itinerary. When OP returns, he will receive the first segment allowance for his third & fourth segments as well.

This won't be a problem with AS as they can see the quoted baggage allowance when OP checks his bags in.
As I stated above, this is correct unless the entire itinerary is marketed by AS, in which case the OP would be subject to AS policies and the extra free bag was something AA chose to give beyond that which AS policy provides. Or are you stating that you believe I'm wrong on that point?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ronin98syu
Hello all. Greetings.

I have a similar question. I will be flying AA F SFO-JFK and then connecting BA (OpenSkies) J JFK-ORY. I am also a OneWorld Sapphire member. Due to traveling alone (and studying in France for two months), I am planning on bringing one piece of (checked) luggage and one carry-on luggage with me. However, the checked luggage would definitely go over 51lbs, but would be under 70lbs. Do I need to pay extra for the overweight luggage? BA (OpenSkies) says that I would have to. However, being a business class flyer as well as Sapphire member, I'd be exempted from the rules and therefore I won't have to pay the fees. I am not so sure about AA.

Thank you!
What does it say on your ticket as far as what the baggage allowance is and what the overweight charges are? This is what will determine what you are guaranteed as an allowance

On the ticket it will indicate whose baggage allowances will apply, whether it be AA's or Opernskies's

If AA applies its allowance, this will be 3 x 32Kg
If AA applies Openskies's allowance, this will be 3 x 23Kg

Since, it seems, that Openskies does not provide a ticketed allowance of 3x32Kg, just has a waiver for luggage > 23Kg, you may find that , if Openskies's allowance is used, that you may be charged for excess fees unless you collect bags and check in again at New York
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:31 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My initial MSP-ORD flight was AA operated and AA marketed, thus I got 3 x 70 lb checked pieces. I didn't realize the weight limit was 70 lb but that was needed with all the camping equipment I was bringing with me . Plus, since I was allowed 3 pieces and my friend who was flying DL had no free baggage, I took his piece of checked luggage too (my 2 pieces and his 1 piece).

When I checked in tonight, AS didn't bat an eyelash or even mention anything about charges when I said I was checking in three pieces. I didn't ask anything about why there was no charge - I just assumed they already knew I was allowed 3 free checked pieces due to the DOT rule mentioned above.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by fti
When I checked in tonight, AS didn't bat an eyelash or even mention anything about charges when I said I was checking in three pieces. I didn't ask anything about why there was no charge - I just assumed they already knew I was allowed 3 free checked pieces due to the DOT rule mentioned above.
Excellent! ^
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Would someone please cite the specific DOT rule.

My upgrade for a return flight later today has not yet cleared and I have 6 bags. I flew first on the way up. Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Oceanrider
Would someone please cite the specific DOT rule.

My upgrade for a return flight later today has not yet cleared and I have 6 bags. I flew first on the way up. Thanks!
Are you flying first on the way back?
Does the same allowance requirement stay in effect if your return is in a different class?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.