Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad News -- Jack Daniels is no longer availble on AA in coach.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by dayone
When mixed with Coke, there is not much need to be discriminating with the brand of alcohol. And don't get me started about the silliness of ordering Grey Goose with Red Bull.
Even when mixing with Coke or other taste-masking mixers, it is important not to drink crappy alcohol. Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam's lower-tier offerings are all palatable. Jim Beam's higher-tier products should not be mixed.

Q: What does (USA) Gordon's Gin mix with?

A: Nothing other than the water used to wash it down the drain.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Me thinks this is much ado about nothing.
Just because it isn't to you doesn't mean it isn't to the OP. And I agree with the OP, BTW.

Write to AA about the lack of drink options. Things could be way worse though.
That is not the standard. Well, unless you want AA to become United.

Originally Posted by dayone
When mixed with Coke, there is not much need to be discriminating about the brand of alcohol. And don't get me started about the silliness of ordering Grey Goose with Red Bull.
I generally agree on the first point and completely agree on the second.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Spiff
Way ahead of you on the former. As to the latter... "May I have a large mixer Coke with lots of ice?"

Unless American is going to serve Woodford*, I'd be pleased to drink Suntory's mostly delicious real bourbon products as opposed to Lynchburg's reliable but unremarkable Tennessee whiskey.

* Or any other tasty American bourbon that is available in minis.
Maker's Mark and Knob Creek are available in minis, but are now part of Suntory, too.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JDiver
And none of it is Glenlivet or Scotch whisky, which was dumped last year by AA. The reason given was that The Glenlivet is not bottling minis any more, but the local Total Wine store seems to have lots of them. They are limiting what is served indeed (but then again, you can, er, spirit a few minis in your Freedom Baggie and ask the FA to serve one or more to you).
It's not a lie. Glenlivet is indeed not being bottled in minis anymore, along with Kahlua, Absolut and whatever gin AA used before the switch to Bombay Sapphire.

Just like how AA had a ton of overstock (and likely still has), so does your local Total Wine.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by relangford
Jim Beam is now a Japanese company (Suntory). Let's convince AA to "buy American" . Obviously, I prefer Jack Daniels - like the OP.
So, no AB products, since Busch is no longer American?
I have no clue if AA even serves Bud, just asking.
I hope they aren't buying fuel from Royal Dutch Shell.

Did they buy some Airbus planes because Boeing is no longer made just in America?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hmm... I wonder why AA is reducing the amount of alcohol it caters in coach?

My only guess is that there are too many EXPs nowadays flying in the main cabin and requesting their free drinks that they're entitled to have. Otherwise, it would be silly for AA to limit the amount of potential sales of alcoholic beverages (at a nice little profit) to others traveling in the main cabin, since it's AA goal to make money, and selling alcoholic beverages in coach is profitable.

(But it's not profitable to give away alcoholic drinks for free.)

Just saying...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Glenlivet is indeed not being bottled in minis anymore…
Is that all ages of Glenlivet, or just the 12 that AA served? The 15 is still going strong on BA.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It is better to limit alcohol intake while traveling by air anyway. I know I speak as a non-drinker, but I think there should be no big deal in waiting until reaching the next airport lounge to have a drink.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by relangford
Jim Beam is now a Japanese company (Suntory).
And being "Kentucky Bourbon" it will still, and always, be manufactured in Kentucky regardless of corporate ownership. It is similar to the automotive sector - do you buy a Ford built in Mexico or a Honda built in the US if you try to "buy American"?

Saw a story on this a few days ago - apparently Kentucky Bourbon has gained high popularity in Japan so Suntory bought the brand to distribute doemstically.

(FWIW, I like neither Jim nor Jack - too many bad experiences with both in my youth.)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Peter T.
Hmm... I wonder why AA is reducing the amount of alcohol it caters in coach?

My only guess is that there are too many EXPs nowadays flying in the main cabin and requesting their free drinks that they're entitled to have. Otherwise, it would be silly for AA to limit the amount of potential sales of alcoholic beverages (at a nice little profit) to others traveling in the main cabin, since it's AA goal to make money, and selling alcoholic beverages in coach is profitable.

(But it's not profitable to give away alcoholic drinks for free.)

Just saying...
+1.

The OP also mentions "running out of snacks in Y" - that's nothing new

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 24, 2014 at 6:25 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
As I have said before...

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I know I speak as a non-drinker, .
More for the rest of us

I don't drink on morning or noon flights. But when traveling in the evening a drink or two can help pass the time and expand the mind. YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I'd agree with that as well. Doesn't make sense to not carry stuff you can sell. They just need to stop mileage upgraders from claiming F seats so EXPs can get the complimentary upgrades then start stocking booze again in quantities that will work for us

Originally Posted by Spiff
Even when mixing with Coke or other taste-masking mixers, it is important not to drink crappy alcohol. Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam's lower-tier offerings are all palatable. Jim Beam's higher-tier products should not be mixed.

Q: What does (USA) Gordon's Gin mix with?

A: Nothing other than the water used to wash it down the drain.
I would have agreed, but have had good reason to change my mind, at least when it comes to mixing in cocktails. Half a glass of coke or Red Bull can obliterate most tastes, but a Rob Roy made with Uigeadail is a treat, as is a Manhattan made with your favorite bourbon or rye. Gordon's is an experience for sure, tho'.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It is better to limit alcohol intake while traveling by air anyway. I know I speak as a non-drinker, but I think there should be no big deal in waiting until reaching the next airport lounge to have a drink.
Why? To many of us, unwinding with a drink is a very enjoyable part of the travel experience. It is obviously not a big deal for non-drinkers.

As for me, I would be completely undisturbed if no water was served on flights, as long as my favorite alcoholic drinks and mixers were available. There should be no big deal in waiting until reaching the next airport lounge to have a glass of water. Think of the weight and fuel they would save by not carrying water.

See how that works?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I would be surprised at a reduction in liquor catering, because alcohol sales are very profitable to the airlines.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
…there should be no big deal in waiting until reaching the next airport lounge to have a drink.
Of course. It's no big deal to wait until the next airport lounge to do a lot of things -- like check email, eat a gourmet meal prepared by a chef, take a shower, or have a massage. These non-essentials, like alcohol, are available on some carriers and not on others. Of course, if FT were only about what is essential, I think there would be 98% fewer threads for us to enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.