Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Old Sep 11, 13, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa. swa, delta
Question Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

I am flying MIA to LAX in 36 hours. EXEC PLAT has not cleared business yet. 19/37 on 777 still open in business? Noticing closer and closer to departure for upgrades, anyone else?
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I'm doing the same flight Saturday morning and haven't cleared yet.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by havoc29 View Post
I'm doing the same flight Saturday morning and haven't cleared yet.
I'm flying the first MIA-LAX 777 flight Saturday morning and cleared yesterday evening. Outbound 757 red-eye tonight is F0.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
I'm on the same flight Saturday morning, 299, looks like a lot of us FTs are on it! Lol
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
things are weird lately... I'm still waiting for my upgrade tomorrow night MIA-LGA (F4) and DFW-ANC (F7).. as a THRU passenger these should be easier but for some reason, the wait goes on...
a random Eagle flight for Sunday night cleared even if the ticket is still on hold.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Definitely. I had a SAN-DFW this past weekend. Flight was F6, ended up going out with two empty seats in F. AA still made my upgrade wait all the way to the gate . Even the agent agreed they should have upgraded me before then!
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This subject has been discussed at length in multiple threads on FT. Whether AA tightens up on upgrades from time to time ( and is it really warranted) and then at some point eases up who knows?
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Ive had issues with notifications, posted miles/segments and upgrades in the last week.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Any EX PLATS Notice Longer than normal for auto upgrades?

an ex-plat is gold, and they rarely clear on MIA-LAX
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:22 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
As a Plat, I've actually noticed this on and off all year this year.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
IME, most upgrades on segments between LAX and MIA are processed around 24 hours before departure. I have seen this be the case for 2-3 years now.
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
My experience in this last year of being EXP with AA:
1) on mid-cons or shorter segments, if cabin is more than half open I usually clear early. There have been exceptions, maybe, when I have bought a late ticket, but this is the behavior
2) 6 or fewer seats and it's going to be a bit of a battle, 2 or less I'm batting 50%
3) On transcons where the premium cabin has filled up it's been a no-go sometimes 'til T-5, even when the cabin was half empty at the upgrade windows. I know that on one such occasion I was among the first to upgrade per EF (BH already in biz and we were working out which seats we would get together), still had to wait. Lots of folks processed at the gate.
4) I had one red eye sfo-jfk in May which cleared much earlier, possibly even at the gate, but the cabin ended up about 3/4 full (although the flight looked pretty full in the back) and I had two seats to myself. First time I have seen biz&F with open seats on these flights.

Make of this what you will ... there may be some rationale in play where they don't want to fill forward cabins on these routes as there is plenty of premium paid traffic which likes to change their plans at the fairly last minute, so a cabin full of upgraded pax is not helpful. I don't know, not a big deal at all, the only mild annoyance is that I miss the opportunity to pick a meal.

<posting at 33999ft somewhere over Hudson Bay with decently functional wi-fi>

Last edited by MarkedMan; Sep 11, 13 at 2:56 pm
Old Sep 11, 13, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
things are weird lately... I'm still waiting for my upgrade tomorrow night MIA-LGA (F4) and DFW-ANC (F7).. as a THRU passenger these should be easier but for some reason, the wait goes on...
a random Eagle flight for Sunday night cleared even if the ticket is still on hold.
I thought thru pax priority for upgrades only counted on the PALL list day of departure and cleared at the gate. It's a factor through the upgrade windows as well?
Old Sep 11, 13, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
We can speculate all we want, but AA invests a lot of time, money and data into constantly tweaking their RM systems to make sure they sell as many seats (especially in F/J) as they can.

That being said, with the OP likely being on 295 this Friday, since the flight is F0, they are likely holding onto J more than usual.
Old Sep 11, 13, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr View Post
I thought thru pax priority for upgrades only counted on the PALL list day of departure and cleared at the gate. It's a factor through the upgrade windows as well?
You are correct - counts only for battlefield upgrades at the gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: