Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Antarius
Couple more data points -> DEN to DFW cleared at T-32. DFW to DEN (for next week) cleared at T-100. Both flights had F7 on EF and about the same number of occupied seats.

DFW to DEN is constantly packed with a UG and Standby list of 40 people. The DEN to DFW is usually more empty. Go figure!
I was upgraded immediately for my DFW COS flight today five minutes after re-booking this past Friday. My DEN DFW return (first leg) was upgraded at T100 for Wednesday's flight. The heavy EXP LGA DFW and back legs - no dice this morning (second unsuccessful u/g this year out of about 35) and doubtful for Wednesday night flight. Flight 1111 LGA DFW Monday mornings is a tough get however I would have been #1 on list but a trip change required complete re-booking 3 days ahead of flight.

Not complaining though. J to F LAX JFK eVIP cleared at reservation for a mid November flight.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Another thing I've noticed: EF showing F0A0, or maybe F1, but fairly decent Y availability, etc.. but then looking at the seat map (before you post "not reliable" please read on) - I see a lot of available seats in F and Y almost fully booked. It seems that AA may be more willing to oversell Y to a greater degree in the past, knowing that the availability in F will open up some of those Y seats.

Knock on wood: I'm still at 100% for upgrades clearing. All four of my segments this weekend for SJC-NYC cleared well before flight time, including Sunday's ORD-SJC - a flight that had been zeroed completely for weeks, w/all seats occupied, and that flight cleared on Friday am. (I booked c. Sept. 1)
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the numerical types like me out there- I'm not sure f this shows a real trend or not, but so far in 6 years of EXP and me tracking this- here's what my husband has experienced by year, number of segments an EXP upgrade was requested on and percentage that he was upgraded. 2013 is worst so far, but 2010 was pretty bad. I don't see a discernible difference in travel and booking patterns.

2008 54 91
2009 42 98
2010 59 86
2011 56 89
2012 46 98
2013 40 83
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
For the numerical types like me out there- I'm not sure f this shows a real trend or not, but so far in 6 years of EXP and me tracking this- here's what my husband has experienced by year, number of segments an EXP upgrade was requested on and percentage that he was upgraded. 2013 is worst so far, but 2010 was pretty bad. I don't see a discernible difference in travel and booking patterns.

2008 54 91
2009 42 98
2010 59 86
2011 56 89
2012 46 98
2013 40 83
Wow, he's ExP and clearing < than half the time? Yikes... did he tick someone at AA off?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Year, number of segments a upgrade was requested on, %clearing.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Wow, he's ExP and clearing < than half the time? Yikes... did he tick someone at AA off?
How do you get clearing less than half the time from those numbers?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
How do you get clearing less than half the time from those numbers?
If you interpret the data as <year> <num cleared> <num requested> it's pretty easy. Prior to the clarification, that's what I thought the data represented as well. The actual data are nowhere near that bad.

(And I realize that the text does say it's percentage, but I still looked just at the data and interpreted it that way )

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by brp
If you interpret the data as <year> <num cleared> <num requested> it's pretty easy. Prior to the clarification, that's what I thought the data represented as well. The actual data are nowhere near that bad.

(And I realize that the text does say it's percentage, but I still looked just at the data and interpreted it that way )

Cheers.
That's the problem with not reading posts.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
That's the problem with not reading posts.
Sorry, I'm a data guy. I don't read instructions or captions.

Wait...did you say something?

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
VickiSoCal (presumably a she) notes her home airport as SNA. There are several older threads addressing the very high % of EXP from SNA, + its a very a wealthy area so you also have fewer upgrade seats b/c you have people who (gasp) pay to fly up front, both of which make it a surprisingly tough upgrade route.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
VickiSoCal (presumably a she) notes her home airport as SNA. There are several older threads addressing the very high % of EXP from SNA, + its a very a wealthy area so you also have fewer upgrade seats b/c you have people who (gasp) pay to fly up front, both of which make it a surprisingly tough upgrade route.
We have actually switched a lot of our domestic flying to LAX because SNA-DFW is just dismal. Also if flying to MCO, BOS, JFK,, Hawaii, LAX is the obvious choice for direct flights. With no traffic I can be at LAX in 45 minutes, SNA in 15.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
For the last couple of years, I've found that the domestic segments have always cleared well before the int'l ones on my trips, usually at 100hrs. (I always click the domestic upgrade box when booking, even though I am using eVIPs). This applies primarily to DFW<->SFO, LAX<->SFO, MIA<->SFO.

If I am going via JFK, I try to always upfare to V or G so I can use BizExtraa certs @booking time, since it seems almost impossible to get UDU'd on any JFK<->SFO flights these days.
This strategy has worked 98% for me for the past 5 years.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I've not tracked my upgrade rate this year (or any other year), but I'm pretty certain it's well below 50% (DFW-based EXP).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: all
upgrades all come though but lot of them last minute
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Only missed 2 out of 64 segments YTD. Second one yesterday DCA/DFW. #1 on the list, but did not make it. Likely will miss next week IAD/LAX showing F1 at one week out. No complaints from me. thank you aa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.