Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any EXP / Executive Platinum Notice Longer than normal for auto [etc.] upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by makfan
Did you clear? J is full except for 11E next to me.
Yeah, somehow I cleared directly into F a few hours beforehand. Now I really don't understand how this process works but I can hardly complain!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by havoc29
Yeah, somehow I cleared directly into F a few hours beforehand. Now I really don't understand how this process works but I can hardly complain!
Wow. That is great. 11E ended up being occupied. They moved the guy in 11G to a window (telling him the aisle was open - so why they didn't offer him the aisle was a mystery) so a couple could sit in 11E and G. Then they upgraded someone from Y into the aisle that was supposed to be open next to him just before door closure

The couple they moved next to me were fairly annoying. The guy on the aisle kept standing up while we were taxiing and they talked so loudly at times. I felt bad because after takeoff they realized seat 11E was badly broken. It would slip randomly.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm on 60 NRT-DFW this Friday (in four days). Looking for Y to J upgrade. Plenty of seats in J, but not clearing. In the past, this would have cleared by now in the same situation.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, UA - resigned in protest, Marriott - Platinum, Pepsi - Platinum, TSA One-Finger Saluter
AA 2428 LAX-DFW tomorrow morning still shows 14 open F seats, yet I haven't cleared...is AA anticipating a massive bunch of international F/J misconnects from Asian/Australian/Hawaiian red-eyes?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: Various
It seems like many flights are clearing between 4-6 hrs before departure for X upgrades at least.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Yes....and no.

For the most part it is harder to UG w/ EP status I am finding. However this week both my UG's cleared at 100hrs
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Something is going on. I've been missing a lot of upgrades lately. Though they all involve SFO in some way. SFO is known as a difficult upgrade for UA flyers. I wonder that since the UA status match if there are a higher number of AA EXPs out of SFO.

I missed AA 1052 on a Saturday morning and I missed 1399 (as connecting passenger) today (Wednesday).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Xero
Something is going on. I've been missing a lot of upgrades lately. Though they all involve SFO in some way. SFO is known as a difficult upgrade for UA flyers. I wonder that since the UA status match if there are a higher number of AA EXPs out of SFO.

I missed AA 1052 on a Saturday morning and I missed 1399 (as connecting passenger) today (Wednesday).
I'm not convinced it's more EXPs... Whenever I miss an upgrade SFO-DFW or vice versa, it's because the flight is F<3 long before T-100hrs. So I think it's more people actually purchasing premium fares in some form... All speculation though.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm not convinced it's more EXPs... Whenever I miss an upgrade SFO-DFW or vice versa, it's because the flight is F<3 long before T-100hrs. So I think it's more people actually purchasing premium fares in some form... All speculation though.
If people are actually purchasing F out of SFO, perhaps AA can put in more 757s which have more seats in F.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
For the month of September, I cleared 10 of 11 upgrade eligible flights. 9 of the 10 cleared at the window. The other one cleared at the gate was a peak Sunday ORD-DCA flight. Coincidentally, my only miss was a peak ORD-DCA flight, which I actually expected because that flight showed F0 several weeks out.

And yes, I was a connecting pax for all of my itineraries.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
major problems with a flight for my wife and myself going to NRT from ATL
they wont comfirm SWU for a flight that is scheduled for 3/30/14 , yet the business class shows only 2 seats occuiped for that date.
the agent said something about an appeal with the RM will take a closer look and probably still decline it.
And of course this is after an EXP agent stated, book early , pay for the ticket and the SWU goes thru.
asked them where we were on the list... they have no idea.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
they wont comfirm SWU for a flight that is scheduled for 3/30/14 , yet the business class shows only 2 seats occuiped for that date.
the agent said something about an appeal with the RM will take a closer look and probably still decline it.
And of course this is after an EXP agent stated, book early , pay for the ticket and the SWU goes thru.
Not sure that I agree this is a major problem...at least not at this point. You should have booked a flight for which C inventory was available at booking. If it wasn't, the EXP agent did give you good advice.

But the uncertainty you are experiencing is getting more and more common among EXPs.

Btw...I have booked trips much farther out than you that did not clear at booking with zero seats sold in J...AA is hanging on to those seats longer than they used to.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Call back and have the agent send the request for an RM review. Also, you could consider asking they open one seat up - which is far likelier, and it is easier for an add'l seat to open up in the future (or clear at the gate) than accommodating two pax. They may decline it - but you will be no worse off than you are now.

As for location on the list: that's the standard answer, but you should be able to determine pretty accurately for yourself: (a) are the exit rows occupied? Is there MCE on the flight? (b) How many of those seats are occupied? If (a) is no and (b) few to none, then the chances are great you are high on the list.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Thanks for your help. I will keep trying, Pick NRT because my wife and I have never been, and well that seems to the longest long haul AA has on its only metal.
Since I am very new to this site, can you tell me what MCE stands for? sorry I am still trying to get use to some of the language on this site
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Thanks for your help. I will keep trying, Pick NRT because my wife and I have never been, and well that seems to the longest long haul AA has on its only metal.
Since I am very new to this site, can you tell me what MCE stands for? sorry I am still trying to get use to some of the language on this site
There's a "glossary" of AA FT acronyms, indeed it takes a while to get used to the various terms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.