BA offering Lifetime Gold (OW Emerald), Will AA Follow

Old Sep 10, 13, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
BA offering Lifetime Gold (OW Emerald), Will AA Follow

BA just announced a Lifetime Gold (OW Emerald) program for their BAEC members. It requires 35,000 Tier Points. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ource=MoreInfo

Ironically they don't yet have an equivalent LT program for AA GLD and PLT equivalents although they are supposedly working on it.

Now that a major OW partner has announced this top-tier LT option, what are folks thinking about AA matching for EXPs, and at what mileage level?

Last edited by teemuflyer; Sep 10, 13 at 10:58 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
BA just announced a Lifetime Gold (OW Emerald) program for their BAEC members. It requires 35,000 Tier Points. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ource=MoreInfo

Ironically they don't yet have an equivalent LT program for AA GLD and PLT equivalents although they are supposedly working on it.

Now that a major OW partner has announced this top-tier LT option, what are folks thinking about AA matching for EXPs, and at what mileage level?
Glad to hear that BA has done it and set a precedent! I think you'll hear arguments for 3 vs 4 million...
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
If they do it better be calculated as something like 3-4M BIS miles or 10M total... i would be very unhappy with LT EXPs that earned it via credit card spend, bank direct and bonus miles.

As EXP is a huge difference from PLT, i would expect them to not permanately dilute the benefits
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:23 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds View Post
Glad to hear that BA has done it and set a precedent! I think you'll hear arguments for 3 vs 4 million...
Under the new rules, getting to LT PLT is quite an achievement -- on average, enough flying to qualify for EXP every year for 20 years. BA has pegged their lifetime qualification at just over 23 years of qualifying Gold. Then again BA has no pipeline of flyers with a pile of easy lifetime miles in the bank.
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:44 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
If they do it better be calculated as something like 3-4M BIS miles or 10M total...
Here's a way to make it interesting. Count only lifetime EQPs - say 3M - toward LTE. That's one way to make sure AA keeps this (theoretical) level reserved for its most valuable customers. I'd support that (even though I'd likely never reach that milestone).
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
Under the new rules, getting to LT PLT is quite an achievement -- on average, enough flying to qualify for EXP every year for 20 years. BA has pegged their lifetime qualification at just over 23 years of qualifying Gold. Then again BA has no pipeline of flyers with a pile of easy lifetime miles in the bank.
- There are ways for AA to differentiate between business flyer and credit card/business miles even with the current system. Other do this with no problem. SPG has the minimum of 10 years of PLT and 500 nights for lifetime PLT. Similarly, AA may consider requiring 10-15- or 20 years of EXP and 3MM (I have no idea which number of years and miles would make sense because I do not have the number - AA does). Finally, one may introduce entirely new metrics - number of flights on AA. For example, 1,000 flights - lifetime gold, 2,000 - lifetime platinum. 3,000 - EXP?
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
It may be tough. Currently the MM systems is bloated with miles from the pre BIS days. AA's IT was not that good until recently. They may not have a way to look at lifetime BIS miles pre-the changeover. Lots of 5+MM'rs out there. Maybe even pudding man would get it if they used only MM miles to AAward it.

And if they only started counting qualifications toward a 3MM and up goal after Dec 2011 it would only elict a collective yawn
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
I doubt AA will match BA in such program.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
If they can't track historical EQM, EQP or EQS, number of years as EXP would be a decent way to go, no one ever bought into EXP by credit card spend.

Besides, this is my 9th year as EXP and I'll never re-qualify again. But if they set 10 consecutive years EXP as the cliff for LT EXP, I'd find some way to shove my missing 75K into the last quarter of this year.
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't expect AA to make major changes to their FF program, especially in directions that seem to tie their hands for the future, until the potential merger with US has been clarified and the FF programs can be aligned if the merger will go forward.
Old Sep 10, 13, 1:00 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I honestly think that at 3.0 Million Miles, you have earned Lifetime EXP - especially given the significant dilution of PLT level (not that benefits have been cut) - more from the standpoint that number of PLTs has significantly increased - as AA has really given this level away like candy this year.

While I am at it, am glad there will be no soft landings this year.

yes, there are a lot of people walking around with 4.0M or above, I do recognize this.

However, getting to 3 Million is not very easy either, and I would be quite interested to know what % of AA FFs have achieved this?
Old Sep 10, 13, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think if AA wants to overhaul their lifetime status program they should base it on combined lifetime EQMs and EQPs. For example lifetime Gold for 500k, Plat for 1M and EXP for 2M would be roughly equivalent to 10 years at the target level of status assuming re-qualification occurs naturally.
Old Sep 10, 13, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
I think if AA wants to overhaul their lifetime status program they should base it on combined lifetime EQMs and EQPs. For example lifetime Gold for 500k, Plat for 1M and EXP for 2M would be roughly equivalent to 10 years at the target level of status assuming re-qualification occurs naturally.
I think you mean twenty years.
Old Sep 10, 13, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I hope Qantas creates a Lifetime Platinum level (OW Emerald)... 21k SCs would be about right since 7k is LT Silver and 14k is LT Gold.
Old Sep 10, 13, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I think you mean twenty years.
I think you missed the word combined. Most elites overshoot their qualification requirement with either EQPs or EQMs and fall short of the same level with the other. Twenty years would require someone either earning no EQMs or no EQPs, some MRers may be looking at 14 years.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: