Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA offering Lifetime Gold (OW Emerald), Will AA Follow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I doubt AA will match BA in such program.
I'd agree. It's only a way of pitching things if your programme is on a downward glide. If AA just continues to present the most viable earn/burn programme then they'll compete, EOS. No need to add the "feature".
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
To join the speculation...

I think something like 4MM Lifetime Miles (Any pre-2011 miles + post-2011 BIS), 3MM lifetime EQP, and 15 years at PLT or higher or 10 years of EXP only. (Or substitute whatever numbers you see fit).

Maybe, If you meet the first and one of the last two requirements, you'd qualify.

The point being, that it would be based on multiple metrics that measure loyalty and overall travel on AA.

Overall, I think someone who was with the program for 20+ years and has logged 5MM or more miles deserves more than just PLT and some SWU's at each million-mile marker. But that is just my semi-self serving opinion
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Spiff
I hope Qantas creates a Lifetime Platinum level (OW Emerald)... 21k SCs would be about right since 7k is LT Silver and 14k is LT Gold.
if it was to do it, then 28k would be more logical since the number of SCs to attain LT status was set at 20 times that of annual attainment

When 1st introduced

normal silver attainment 350 - lifetime 7000
normal gold attainment 700 - lifetime 14000
normal platinum attainment 1400
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
It may be tough. Currently the MM systems is bloated with miles from the pre BIS days. AA's IT was not that good until recently. They may not have a way to look at lifetime BIS miles pre-the changeover. Lots of 5+MM'rs out there. Maybe even pudding man would get it if they used only MM miles to AAward it.

And if they only started counting qualifications toward a 3MM and up goal after Dec 2011 it would only elict a collective yawn
Back in 2004 or 2005, there was an article about LT status on various carriers..About <0.25% of FF flyers had lifetime status(globally). Add the fact there are multiple carries and it's even lower . I really wouldn't call that "bloated".

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I honestly think that at 3.0 Million Miles, you have earned Lifetime EXP - especially given the significant dilution of PLT level (not that benefits have been cut) - more from the standpoint that number of PLTs has significantly increased - as AA has really given this level away like candy this year.

While I am at it, am glad there will be no soft landings this year.

yes, there are a lot of people walking around with 4.0M or above, I do recognize this.

However, getting to 3 Million is not very easy either, and I would be quite interested to know what % of AA FFs have achieved this?
As you mentioned, there probably will be a lot less PL's next year as AA really hasn't promoted anything in terms of mileage runs.

There really aren't too many 3+ MM FF's around, and even less flying and even less that one will see them on a particular flight. I'm not saying there aren't any or one doesn't know of any (FT does seem to amalgamate a number of MM's) just the probability of one flying with one is low, quite low.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I'd agree. It's only a way of pitching things if your programme is on a downward glide. If AA just continues to present the most viable earn/burn programme then they'll compete, EOS. No need to add the "feature".
It would certainly give folks like me something new to shoot for. A 2M lifetime EQM or EQP target would be roughly in line with BA's, would avoid the old-rule mile bloat (that got me LT PLT), and would influence me not to shop around. As it is, with LT PLT I don't have that much to lose by accumulating elsewhere should the post-merger AAdvantage not be to my advantage.

Heck, I just checked my LT BA tier point balance from back when BA and US got their divorce and I shifted my earning to BA. I'm 15% of the way to LT Gold
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Are you serious? Its easy to get 3M miles with past calculations. I have added over 750,000 RDM miles in the past 28 months on Aa... i dont even spend that much on the credit card.

As an EXP i sure as hell hope they dont dilute it by giving LT EXP to folks buying their way there. I have no issue with status matches and challenges as they arent an EXP long unless they fly to the same level as me.

I like the EQP method. Best idea ive heard on this

I honestly think that at 3.0 Million Miles, you have earned Lifetime EXP - especially given the significant dilution of PLT level (not that benefits have been cut) - more from the standpoint that number of PLTs has significantly increased - as AA has really given this level away like candy this year.

While I am at it, am glad there will be no soft landings this year.

yes, there are a lot of people walking around with 4.0M or above, I do recognize this.

However, getting to 3 Million is not very easy either, and I would be quite interested to know what % of AA FFs have achieved this?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I think you missed the word combined. Most elites overshoot their qualification requirement with either EQPs or EQMs and fall short of the same level with the other. Twenty years would require someone either earning no EQMs or no EQPs, some MRers may be looking at 14 years.
Sorry. I interpreted combined as meaning either/or, the same as for annual status.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Are you serious? Its easy to get 3M miles with past calculations. I have added over 750,000 RDM miles in the past 28 months on Aa... i dont even spend that much on the credit card.

As an EXP i sure as hell hope they dont dilute it by giving LT EXP to folks buying their way there. I have no issue with status matches and challenges as they arent an EXP long unless they fly to the same level as me.

I would think that this would be based off of someones Million Miler threshold, so RDMs would be irrelevant, as would any CC spend since the end of last year, and the current LT GLD and PLT are based of off the MM miles.

It is not at all clear that AA has necessarily been tracking lifetime EQPs for AAdvantage members since they only served the purpose of attaining status year to year.

Yes, some folks with massive CC spend and other prior Mileage gainer methods would be grandfathered in, but those numbers in the grand scheme of things would be pretty low.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:16 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE

I am serious. With current methodology, it is not easy to get 3M.

Even with past methodology, I don't think it is that easy for average people to get there.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Even with past methodology, I don't think it is that easy for average people to get there.
I'd beg to differ. I cleared LT PLT in February. Right now, my MM balance is 2.09M but my program miles to date is 2.62M. Were I working toward LT EXP under the old rules, there'd only be a few years between the two milestones. You have to know how to play the game -- and that may be where "average" people drop out -- but once you do, the miles can come pretty quickly.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Thats the whole point of my argument. With BIS 3m miles is 30 years of 100k.. with old method it would take many people 5-10 yeats of spend and moderate flying.

Use BIS only and no issue of 3m.

I am serious. With current methodology, it is not easy to get 3M.

Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinanju
I'd beg to differ. I cleared LT PLT in February. Right now, my MM balance is 2.09M but my program miles to date is 2.62M. Were I working toward LT EXP under the old rules, there'd only be a few years between the two milestones. You have to know how to play the game -- and that may be where "average" people drop out -- but once you do, the miles can come pretty quickly.
As I mentioned earlier, focus on Million Miler balance. Since end of Dec. 2012 it's been BIS miles only. Not even allowing the 500 mile minimum for EQM/RDM for elites. There's no game to play, just fly, baby, fly!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As I mentioned earlier, focus on Million Miler balance. Since end of Dec. 2012 it's been BIS miles only.
Actually, it's since Dec 1, 2011. The only additional way to accrue MM aside from BIS was the $450/year Citi Executive Card, which was a one-year only offer. As very, very few obtained, or even knew about the card then, it's safe to say the paradigm shift occurred in 2011.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ritz
Actually, it's since Dec 1, 2011. The only additional way to accrue MM aside from BIS was the $450/year Citi Executive Card, which was a one-year only offer. As very, very few obtained, or even knew about the card then, it's safe to say the paradigm shift occurred in 2011.
I have one of the said cards, but you are correct for the vast majority!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Aha.

I wonder if I should switch to BA, now that I've reached the highest lifetime level that AA offers.

BA offers lifetime Emerald and AA doesn't….That's a decent goal to have. And I could absolutely achieve the required LTG TPs after some years.

But if AA is going to offer lifetime Emerald then no reason to go anywhere… I'm almost at 4 MM anyway…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.