Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of Skype, Zoom prohibited?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
The FAs won't need to when I'm around because I will do it for them. Anyone using VOIP within earshot of me will not get away with it...
^^^
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
It's pretty much a bandwidth issue. GoGo is typically able to provide about 1.5 - 2 Mbps to the aircraft. True, todays codecs are much more efficient than the codecs of 8 years ago, but there are still limitations.
I think you're confusing VOIP and video. Totally uncompressed telephone audio is 64Kbps (so with your 1.5 Mbps there could be ~25 simultaneous calls). More realistically, perfectly good audio can be achieved with no more than 20Kbps, or 75 simultaneous calls on your 1.5Mbps connection.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Didn't AA have a TV commercial showing a mother video chatting with her daughter to promote connectivity.

It seems the commercial is no longer on youtube, but that's what i recall.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The FAs won't need to when I'm around because I will do it for them. Anyone using VOIP within earshot of me will not get away with it...
Really? What are you going to do when the person using VOIP tells you to <leave it alone>?

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 16, 2013 at 1:14 am Reason: TOS violation
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:10 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Really? What are you going to do when the person using VOIP tells you to <leave it alone>?
Call the FA...that's what that little button is for
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's not any of your business...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
^

$1.00 a year, uses a lot less bandwidth and avoids the cellular company's text charges. Works great in the air with GoGo.

Originally Posted by Deckard
I just use What's App and send a video message. Seemed to work fine.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It's not any of your business...
Why is someone being disruptive on a voice call not his business?
I personally would not want to listen to more noise on the plane, and if there is a rule in my favor, I have no problem getting it enforced.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Little different than you original position when you claimed you wouldn't need the flight attendant:

Originally Posted by mvoight
Why is someone being disruptive on a voice call not his business?
I personally would not want to listen to more noise on the plane, and if there is a rule in my favor, I have no problem getting it enforced.
He claimed he would enforce it himself.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I used DirecTV Sunday Ticket for NFL games this Sunday. Audio was perfect, video was highly pixellated and really unwatchable. Pretty sure, this streaming would be bandwidth clogger, akin to Netflix, but no restrictions.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Didn't realize it's prohibited. But I've been able to use VOIP (Magicjack app - excellent call quality) and even Facetime (the video was fine) on GoGo WiFi equipped aircraft without any problems. But I've always kept the calls short (under two minutes) and just for status updates and I've also kept my voice down (not to disturb my fellow PAX and also since I like to keep my phone conversations as private as possible). Never made more than two calls on any transcon flight.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Peter T.
Didn't realize it's prohibited. But I've been able to use VOIP (Magicjack app - excellent call quality) and even Facetime (the video was fine) on GoGo WiFi equipped aircraft without any problems. But I've always kept the calls short (under two minutes) and just for status updates and I've also kept my voice down (not to disturb my fellow PAX and also since I like to keep my phone conversations as private as possible). Never made more than two calls on any transcon flight.
I would rather use Skype than have to pay for that.
(My employer agrees as the company will not buy employees it.)
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Little different than you original position when you claimed you wouldn't need the flight attendant:

He claimed he would enforce it himself.
My response was related to the comment where he remarked about pushing the call button, and someone commented he should mind his own business.
If the call, video, whatever is negatively affecting me, and there is a rule against it, then I will ask the FA to enforce the rule. If it is not negatively affecting me I won't ask the FA to enforce the rule.j
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:31 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
It's called Plan B.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I often use VOIP on the flight, although it doesn't alway work well (bandwidth issue). Skype may be blocked, but there are lots of other VOIP.

Why the assumption that somone talking on a device (be it VOIP or cell phone, be it on a plane or anywhere else) must use a voice louder than normal conversation? I could see a passenger asking the fellow passenger to not scream or to please use a normal voice as an acceptable request, but to tell another passenger to not use one's "computer" for VOIP is flat out rude and uncalled for... kind of like noticing that someone used airplane mode instead of a full shutdown and either telling the passenger to actually shutdown or narking to the FA about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.