Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of Skype, Zoom prohibited?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Like other said, if you manage to get a voice or video call out, it will be terrible quality because of packet loss and latency. However, if you really want to get a call out, it's best to do it via VPN, which Gogo doesn't block (otherwise there will be a lot of angry business customers).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by hillrider
Re bandwidth -- VoIP is < 64 kbps, it's a trickle.
I very much doubt they're able to allow voice-only use of skype while blocking video calls so it's much easier to block the whole service. If you use a VOIP service they don't recognize or carry the extra overhead of tunneling over a VPN you'll probably get VOIP to work.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Its proximity with another date...
Really? So now the whole of September will be touchy with air travel forever more? Not to seem insensitive, but
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
I doubt the FA's have to, or even can enforce the policy - it's almost certainly blocked by the IP address, as I would assume are streaming video sites like netflix. It's probably both to reduce the disturbance for other passengers as well as to conserve fairly limited bandwidth.
Yeah, I'm confused as to how the FA has anything to do with this. Maybe OP asked the FA why Skype wasn't working? If that was the case, s/he deserved the answer s/he got!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What's Zoom?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:33 pm

Ever been seated close to drinking buddies located in J or F? Cannot imagine VoIP being louder than that.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by skiflyer
Ever been seated close to drinking buddies located in J or F? Cannot imagine VoIP being louder than that.
Yup. I've made that mistake a few times (being louder than VoIP that is).
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if it's officially blocked or not (technologically speaking, not policy wise), but I do know that in the last year on shorter, less populated flights I've been able to get Facetime up and running with rather good quality. (I think the last time was a December flight DFW-MCI.)

Skype has never functioned for me. I've always just chalked it up to my assumption that the site was being blocked by Gogo/AA.

Interesting thought about the VPN sidestep.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Absent great noise-canceling mic, VOIP in-flight might be worse than you even expected.

The VPN sidestep to get around blocking works to get around the blocking but doesn't necessarily help with getting around the poor quality of the communication.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What's Zoom?
http://www.zoom.us/
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by bernardd
I very much doubt they're able to allow voice-only use of skype while blocking video calls so it's much easier to block the whole service. If you use a VOIP service they don't recognize or carry the extra overhead of tunneling over a VPN you'll probably get VOIP to work.
Skype itself is not blocked. You can use the text chat.

I haven't tried to use Skype voice or video. Haven't hated any of my neighbors that much.

In an earlier discussion, there was some speculation that network traffic is sniffed and certain packets are rejected (like those carrying VoIP). This is possible. Personally, I think they rely on GoGo's really terrible latency to make Skype et al. unusable.

VPN would theoretically work to prevent packet sniffing, but it adds another layer that requires additional bandwidth. Which GoGo doesn't have.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:46 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Another "for security reasons" excuse that has nothing to do with security. If something is really "for security reasons", then the employee making this excuse should be required to cite the FAR or AA reg.

Blaming "security" for non-security issues, especially consumption of WiFi bandwidth should be a terminable offense. It just makes people tune out every time someone trots out the lame "security" excuse.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by jaysona
The line about security was probably said because the FA figured it was easier/simpler to say security vs. it's not permitted due to quality of service reasons, plus most of the flying public won't question anything where "security" is mentioned.
Which shows that most people are gullible sheep. Personally, I would immediately ask in what way it is considered a security risk.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Blaming "security" for non-security issues... makes people tune out every time someone trots out the lame "security" excuse.
Agreed. As a child, I was taught not to "cry wolf" or nobody would listen when the real wolf came.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Let's not turn this into a broader TS/S debate... Please keep posts germane to the specific topic at hand.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.