Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Involuntary seat reassignment in Int'l F - should I be annoyed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Currently sitting in 2G on 137 from LHR-LAX (77W). I had selected 1A three weeks ago. Checked it about a week ago, all fine. Forgot to OLCI (honestly didn't think it was necessary in F). (FWIW, paid D fare, SWU to F cleared at booking weeks ago).

At the Flagship checkin at T3 (six hours before departure, all the better for lounge-hopping ), I get 2G on my BP. AAgent is quite perplexed when I explain I had 1A reserved weeks ago. Apparently the history shows that I did have 1A confirmed, then three days ago someone in Dallas (not clear if at an off-terminal site or at DFW) switched me. The history apparently says "seat fixed". No notification to me by any means, as it happens. Attempt to get it switched back but of course F is booked solid and other pax have already nabbed the seats. No dice at the AC, nor at the gate. The AAgent at the AC hypothesizes a system glitch that allowed more than one person to book 1A, perhaps related to the fact it's (was?) used for crew rest on the 772. But nothing concrete.

So, if this were the BA board I'd be asking how many Avios I'm due . Given that it isn't, I wanted to ask for opinions on whether I should press for some compensation?

Yes, I know. First World Problem. I got to fly F so what's the problem? Now that we're past those, my problem is that I booked a seat and have never before on AA been bumped out without a good reason. And this is a rarity for me - to get to sit in the pointy end on TATLs. I like window seats with aisle access, and really wanted to do a bit of planespotting at LHR and watch the coastal transitions over Greenland and northern Canada.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Yes, I know. First World Problem.
You answered your own question. Let it go.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Eh, I'd be annoyed- not sure I'd press it too hard. Personally I dont like row 1 as they yak up a storm in the galley AND seem to smash metal together periodically. Like 3 hours before arrival when I am trying to sleep. (Recognize you are not flying a night flight)

I really WOULD want to know WHO and WHY. They know who did it, they should ask them 'why did you reasign a seat and enter 'fixed seat'?"

In my experience, F is so booked these days that you NEVER can change seats around- even if you'd found this an hour after they did it, it might not have helped....
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I confirmed with the checkin agent that 1A was not a CK bumping me. 1A and 1D are a couple - but it's not like they're in adjacent seats given the aisle and axial stagger of the F seats. 1A closed the window shades before takeoff and they've stayed that way...FWIW

Actually, there's been little to no galley chatter that I've heard on this flight or on 50 from DFW-LHR a week ago. Must be the headphones ...

I did ask why I was moved - no one, including the EXP line, the checkin AAgent, the AAngel and the GA - was able to explain (aside from conjecture - IT glitch) why this happened. Only that there was nothing they could do. Sigh.

Perhaps that's the approach then. Write to CS and ask for an explanation of why this happened, and an assurance that it won't recur (that's optimistic of course). If they throw some miles my way great but if not meh.

OT - can I just say this is sooooooo much better than GlobalFirst ^
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
FAM
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'd be very displeased. AA should not be moving people out of confirmed seats without their explicit permission.

Did this couple happen to look like a couple of air marshals?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've sat in 1A on the 77W and on the way to LHR the lights and noise form the Galley was annoying, so it might have ended up being a better seat anyway.

Also, there's probably sme small print somwhere about AA reserving the ifht to change reserved seats. I know they reserve the right to change seats in main cabin and allow you to get a. Refund if you've paid for those seats. Can be frustrating, but not a big deal IMO.

Last edited by FAA1996; Sep 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No big deal.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
AA will probably throw you a few miles to placate you since you're an EXP and were flying on (upgraded) paid J.

Although, IIRC, AA doesn't guarantee you any particular seat, so they're not obligated to give you anything. I'm not sure I'd worry about it, in any event.

1A and 1D are a couple - but it's not like they're in adjacent seats given the aisle and axial stagger of the F seats. 1A closed the window shades before takeoff and they've stayed that way...FWIW
Sounds like it wasn't a conscious action to deprive you of your seat. Perhaps, it really was a system glitch.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
You are not due anything really. AA's and most airlines statement is they are selling you a ticket between two points, that is first priority. Second is a seat in the cabin you paid for, not a specific seat as operational needs may require changes. Does compensation sometimes happen as a result of changed seat assignment? Yes but that depends on who you are. A CK member may get a couple thousand miles for complaining.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Really the thread title should read "involuntary seat reassignment" in int'l F; when I read the title, I assumed this was add'l evidence re: AA downgrading F pax to J on the 77W
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:31 pm

Write a polite letter and see if they comp you some miles...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Just curious, why not ask the person in 1A to trade, contingent upon the person in 2D being willing to swap with their partner (they get to sit together, you get your window, everything is honkey dory)?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
FAM
Highly unlikely to be a FAM. 1A and 1D are a couple - I would guess in their seventies or early eighties.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Really the thread title should read "involuntary seat reassignment" in int'l F; when I read the title, I assumed this was add'l evidence re: AA downgrading F pax to J on the 77W
Sorry, poor choice of terminology on my part. Not a conscious attempt to be dramatic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.