No more FLL-NYC on AA?

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
But that can be a miserable 28 miles. 95 between FLL & MIA looks like a crack head designed the highway. Although for a few more $$s there are the Express lanes.
It's not the greatest highway and yes, I always take the Express lanes so that probably helps. Typically, if I leave early enough, I drive to South Beach and grab a quick lunch at La Locanda (it's owned by some Italians and is very good) before heading to MIA.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
AA is drawing down FLL. FLL-LAX is also being moved to PBI.
PBI is giving AA $1.4M in incentives to lure that flight from FLL.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
I have to say that I completely agree with AA dropping LGA-FLL and adding LGA-PBI.
They're actually dropping JFK-FLL and adding LGA-PBI. There's lots of discussion on the perceived pros/cons in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...?highlight=PBI
Including discussion of connecting international pax (not really possible from LGA), cruise traffic from FLL, and Boca Ratonians who refuse to drive the extra 28 miles to MIA.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
Based in PBI: First NYC, now LAX; about time

The drive is much easier if you take the Turnpike rather than I-95.

Another recent bonus for those of us originating from PBI is an AA non-stop to LAX at reduced fares starting in November. It's been a long time comin'! The county and other interested parties ponied up $1.4 mil (I think) as an incentive to AA to establish the route.

Oops, I see I'm not the first to note this, but the tip on T'pike v I-95 should be worth a few grey hairs.

BTW, next tiime in S. Beach try The News Cafe. Cheap, good food, interesting menu from scrambled eggs to hummus... and the scenery!

Last edited by cpmgrp; Sep 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpmgrp
The drive is much easier if you take the Turnpike rather than I-95.
Depending on where one lives, that could be very far out of the way. It also costs $.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I like that PBI is so small - it makes everything quick and easy. With FLL (and more so with MIA) I always feel that I'm rolling the dice with how long things will take.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
I only wish AA allowed me to route FLL-NYC via DFW for the same price as the nonstops!
Well, from some point next year onwards that would be quite cheap..
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by StevenH123
I like that PBI is so small - it makes everything quick and easy. With FLL (and more so with MIA) I always feel that I'm rolling the dice with how long things will take.
And PBI has free wi-fi ^, although speeds can vary.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Well, from some point next year onwards that would be quite cheap..
Something tells me that AA won't publish a fare for FLL-NYC and it won't be.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StevenH123
Well, MIA has PreCheck, and so does FLL (albeit at the DL concourse).
I've never had an issue at FLL, although that was historically as an elite on CO, and a few recent times on AA. I have seen monster lines at WN, and to a lesser extent the CO concourse, although there are not many elites flying out of FLL so it was always a breeze for me. And usually the only bad times were Sat/Sun mornings when the cruise traffic is heading out.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I was booked on AA64 (FLL-JFK) for May of next year and received a schedule change email around 2 weeks ago that my flight was changed to FLL-DFW-JFK. I looked around and it seems there are no more direct FLL-NYC flights anymore. Is AA serious? What is happening? That is just plain ridiculous.
But think of the extra 2.5Kplus miles! Recently for me I was ORD-MIA, mechanical delayed, in AC KC booked me FLL with vouchers for hotel/transport to MIA, etc. Oddly enough, checking later, I found original ORD-MIA left about same time as ORD-FLL and only two gates down. I was never notified.

Upshot: I did not know how close MIA and FLL are: by train(Amtrak or other)about half-hour, I recall.
"No Borders, Just Horizons."
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
But that can be a miserable 28 miles. 95 between FLL & MIA looks like a crack head designed the highway. Although for a few more $$s there are the Express lanes.
Sure, there's the turnpike, then the 826, to the 836, etc. It's just terrible. It is in perpetual construction, with rusted rebar, hanging lights, road debris, etc. I've always found it to be a nighmare, especially coming from South Miami to MIA, but also coming from the north.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, MIA has PreCheck, and so does FLL (albeit at the DL concourse). I've never had an issue at FLL
True but I also mean things like car rentals, baggage, parking, etc
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, most hotels etc
I-95 v T'pike to MIA/FLL

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Depending on where one lives, that could be very far out of the way. It also costs $.
On the $: grief-to-dollar ratio.

But you're right, if you're up the east coast past Jupiter, the trick is to take I-95, then switch before you get to MIA at either Ft. Pierce or Jupiter where the two highways intersect (too hard to describe - look at a map). This is only if going to FLL or MIA. Stick to I-95 for PBI; it doesn't get bad until you reach northern Broward County and onward southbound.

PBI is a very efficient, medium-sized, modern airport with many amenities and lots of reasonable parking and pre-check. It is usually a breeze coming or going. I wish more airlines would consider it as opposed to the already jam-packed FLL & MIA and their horrendous fees-esp. for parking. There is no escaping the cruise traffic, whereas there is virtually none at PBI. I've lived here for over 25 years and watched this little regional get pretty big - and pretty. Where else can you pick up a genuine Lilly Pulitzer at the airport?

Once you get here there's lots to do and we're an hour from FLL and about 90 minutes from MIA (I feel like the Tourist Board should be subsidizing this post).

If coming from south of MIA/FLL - you're screwed.

Last edited by cpmgrp; Sep 4, 2013 at 6:37 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
AA is drawing down FLL. FLL-LAX is also being moved to PBI.

As someone who lives five minutes from FLL I will go on record as saying many of us will not drive to MIA to stay loyal to AA. Any time savings I might gain from a non-stop is lost when I have to spend as much as 2 hours getting to MIA due to traffic, parking, etc. If I am flying anywhere domestic I am better off with WN, DL, US or B6 our of FLL. If I am heading south or to the islands then the trip to MIA makes sense. I get why AA is doing this, just hate that that pushed me more and more to DL and other carriers.
Yes. I found out our YVR-LAX-FLL got rerouted to YVR-LAX-DFW-FLL

When I changed the date on this I even had to pay extra $2 tax per person because DFW. I did not realize PBI-LAX is now offered. Else I would request that instead.

I agree with you - MIA is needed when we use it for AA award to Europe/Asia/South America because many more options to choose from.

For domestic travel I now seriously consider DL especially after successfully redeemed low level DL award to fly AZ to Europe at the peak Summer travel time when AA has zilch to offer other than BA flights. I would never think there would be a day DL miles seem to be more attractive than AA miles. Gasp!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.