Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JL AAdvantage mileage accrual schedule

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
New JL AAdvantage mileage accrual schedule

As of April 2013, the AAdvantage mileage accrual schedule for JL flights booked as JL flights changed. Deep discount (booking code N, among others) went from about 66% down to 30%.

I'm sure the rest of you knew about this. I didn't, until today.

There's good news, however. I was booked on JL 707 and JL 708. I called the AA PLT desk, and the agent was able to rebook the itinerary, using AA 8411 and AA 8412, which are codeshares for JL 707 and JL 708. When the flight is booked using an AA flight number, it gets full mileage credit.

The better news is that she was able to do the rebooking as just a schedule change, meaning NO change fee. She did have to put me back on the list for the upgrade, of course. C'est la vie. A six-minute phone call netted me about 4200 miles; I can live with the possible loss of an upgrade (that is looking less and less likely anyway).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Yup. Major downside is no JMB upgrades unless you use the JL code, but you weren't getting one with an N fare regardless, so definite win in your situation.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zarkov505
As of April 2013, the AAdvantage mileage accrual schedule for JL flights booked as JL flights changed. Deep discount (booking code N, among others) went from about 66% down to 30%.

I'm sure the rest of you knew about this. I didn't, until today.

There's good news, however. I was booked on JL 707 and JL 708. I called the AA PLT desk, and the agent was able to rebook the itinerary, using AA 8411 and AA 8412, which are codeshares for JL 707 and JL 708. When the flight is booked using an AA flight number, it gets full mileage credit.

The better news is that she was able to do the rebooking as just a schedule change, meaning NO change fee. She did have to put me back on the list for the upgrade, of course. C'est la vie. A six-minute phone call netted me about 4200 miles; I can live with the possible loss of an upgrade (that is looking less and less likely anyway).
In a number of cases though, fare availability is not the same with JL and AA.
(Instead of playing this game, sometimes I just fly CX.)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
In a number of cases though, fare availability is not the same with JL and AA...
Yes, like when one searches on AA, which doesn't display the available flights on AA metal.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Did the same myself with NRT-HAN-NRT in July. Without it, there was a chance I'd miss EXP this year.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Does this explain why I can't find the AA codeshare for NRT-OKA?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
AA.com has been having serious difficulties with JL codeshares, for quite some time, as in refusing to admit that they exist.

I'd previously talked with an agent, and knew that the codeshares did exist, but just weren't showing up on AA.com. I figured the worst that could happen was I'd be out a phone call and have to make an HSV-ORD-LAX, LAX-ORD-HSV run. Likeliest case was it would take a change fee, and I was balancing the change fee against that LAX via ORD run. Best case, no change fee, is how it actually played out.

It could be worse. N on CX flights gives 0% mileage accrual, and AA codeshare legs on CX are generally significantly marked up from the straight CX flight numbers.

One almost gets the feeling that AA really doesn't want to pay out miles.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Does this explain why I can't find the AA codeshare for NRT-OKA?
Probably. Call the EXP desk and see if they can see it on their system. (Odds are VERY good they can.)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zarkov505
She did have to put me back on the list for the upgrade, of course. C'est la vie. A six-minute phone call netted me about 4200 miles; I can live with the possible loss of an upgrade (that is looking less and less likely anyway).
What upgrade? AA doesn't afaik have upgrade awards on JL
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Yes, like when one searches on AA, which doesn't display the available flights on AA metal.
But it is possible to restrict the parameters on a GDS (at least Amadeus) to only AA flights and code shares.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What upgrade? AA doesn't afaik have upgrade awards on JL
Sorry for not making that a bit more clear.

The total itinerary is HSV-DFW-NRT-BKK, BKK-NRT-DFW-HSV. The HSV-DFW and DFW-NRT legs, and the reciprocals, are all on AA metal. The "upgrade" is the Business Class upgrade on the transPac legs.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

But it is possible to restrict the parameters on a GDS (at least Amadeus) to only AA flights and code shares.
I don't know what database Amadeus uses. The ITA matrix uses AA's published database, same as AA.com, and, for reasons known only to AA, that database routinely does not include the AA codeshares for the JL flights.

As of this moment, neither AA.com nor ITA matrix search show the AA codeshares for the JL NRT-BKK legs. I just checked. Those codeshares apparently are ONLY bookable over the phone.

Things like this really make me want to speculate that AA wants to shed some customers. They're certainly going about it the right way.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:48 pm

Suppose I were well-informed and clever, like you. How would I "restrict the parameters on ...Amadeus"?

So far, the only reliable source I've found for AA flight searches to BKK is aa.com's HK site.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Discount Economy Earns more EQM than Discount Business?

Is this for real?

Class of Service Purchased Fares Booked in: Base Miles (elite status qualifying) Class of Service Bonus Miles Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned

Discount Business Class I 55% 25% 1.50
Discount Economy Class H, K, M 70% 1.00

Base Miles are (EQM) is earned at 55% for discounted Business (I) fares where discount Economy (H, K, M) fares earn 70%?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Is this for real?

Class of Service Purchased Fares Booked in: Base Miles (elite status qualifying) Class of Service Bonus Miles Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned

Discount Business Class I 55% 25% 1.50
Discount Economy Class H, K, M 70% 1.00

Base Miles are (EQM) is earned at 55% for discounted Business (I) fares where discount Economy (H, K, M) fares earn 70%?

Looks right. Are you actually finding any "I" fares offered though? C,D,X,J all earn 100% and on a few routes I checked lowest offered was "D"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.