Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

"Proud to Fly American" buttons available on limited basis starting Dec. 5!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2001, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold

Hello everyone -

You may recall my posts a while back, in the "We MUST Fly" thread, about my idea for American Airlines to produce buttons for their loyal customers to wear and show their support for their favorite airline. Well, the buttons have been produced and they will be available beginning Wednesday, December 5.

Below is a copy of an email I received today from Rob Britton, Managing Director, Advertising and Planning at American Airlines. It details how the buttons will be distributed:

"Dear Mr. bbinchi:

The FedEx truck will pull up (to your home) tomorrow or Wednesday and deliver fifty buttons. Here are the facts:

Distribution begins Wednesday, December 5, at selected large Admirals Clubs in the United States: AUS, BOS, ORD (2), DFW (3), LAX, MIA (2), LGA, JFK, SFO, and STL. Some locations may not have them available until Friday.

Buttons to be available at reception desk.

We are distributing these on a trial basis; supplies are limited.

We produced the buttons as an extension of the 'Proud to be American' employee campaign, at the suggestion of several proud and loyal customers.

As with the employee buttons, our friends at Coca-Cola paid for the buttons, and we appreciate their support."

My hat is off to Mr. Britton for spearheading this project and turning it around so quickly. Those of you interested in the "Proud to Fly American" buttons should ask for one when you check in at the Admirals Clubs noted above. Hope you will wear yours as proudly as I will wear mine!

Wishing everyone safe and pleasant flights,

Bill
Old Dec 3, 2001, 8:22 pm

Location: Austin, TX AA 1.5MM PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Prez
Fabulous! I'll be hitting two of those clubs on the 5th and will look for the buttons. Just in time to wear one for my first ever Mileage Run beginning on the 6th! Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 3, 2001, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Comet! And best wishes for your first mileage run (careful - they can be addictive!).

edited to correct typo

[This message has been edited by bbinchi (edited 12-03-2001).]
Old Dec 3, 2001, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Oooh, oooh, oooh... can someone do me a big favour and grab one for me, pretty please?

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Dec 3, 2001, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
This works out great for me. I'll be passing thru DFW on my way back to SJC on Dec 5. I look forward to getting a button and wearing it.

FewMiles, if they have them at DFW I'll be happy to grab you one, if they let me.

Thank you for the good news.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 5:54 am

I'd like to get one too...I won't be back through STL until the end of the month and I'd be afraid they'd be gone...let me know if anyone is allowed to grab an extra
Old Dec 4, 2001, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
bbinchi,

Thanks for the mail, and well done! The Plat Kids will be blowing thru your Windy City (in Biz no less!) on 12/19, but I am guessing the buttons will be long gone by then. I'll check tho' -just in case!

-Mark
Old Dec 4, 2001, 7:43 am

bbinchi,

Outstanding effort and great idea!

Studley

------------------
Friends don't let friends play Naked Twister without tequila.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 8:15 am

Bill, I am delighted. I hope that two of those will be earmarked for Roy and I?

Any praise that you receive is far less than you deserve, but then I am totally biased.

God Bless and thank you again for Saturday.

Paul
Old Dec 4, 2001, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone ... I am encouraged by this show of support. I hope the buttons really take off (couldn't resist the pun) so that American Airlines might consider having more produced for wider distribution (the limited distribution via the Admirals Clubs was chosen to gauge response to the program).

Fly safely; fly proudly!

Bill

P.S. Paul, rest assured that I had already earmarked the first two buttons from my supply to be sent to you and Roy!
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:03 am

Ooooh! Ooooh! I want one! Bbinchi, can you set one aside for me?

Truly a brilliant idea!
Old Dec 4, 2001, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
My offer to pick up a button for FewMiles while passing thru the DFW AC on DEC 5 will not work out. My SFO-DFW-BNA trip departing today has been postponed.

I'm sure there are plenty of FT's who would be happy to do it since I cannot.

FewMiles, I did not want you to be left with the impression that it was taken care of.

My apologies.

CA
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great job Bbinchi!

Although I've flow since 9-11, I don't have any flights planned in the near future. So do I need to buy a ticket just to get into the DFW AC?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:15 am

It would certainly be ironic if these buttons are the traditional pin-on type, considering all the passengers who have had their sewing needles confiscated by security.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
CA Platinum, thanks anyways! bbinchi has offered to send me one.

Cheers,
FewMiles..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.