Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
American have confirmed that there is no change to the fuel surcharges being levied on awards, as posted by AmericanAirlines in post #157:

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Last night, in a routine effort to better align American to industry standards with other global carriers, American began collecting carrier-imposed surcharges on tickets for travel on other carrier’s metal. This change was intended for revenue tickets only, but the surcharge was erroneously added to AAdvantage award redemptions on other airlines as well. Except in the cases of British Airways and Iberia (where American currently collects these surcharges), no carrier-imposed surcharges will be applied when redeeming AAdvantage miles for award travel on other carriers. Any customers who encountered this fee in error will be fully refunded.
Print Wikipost

AA adds fuel surcharges on some international awards? [NO]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:56 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Unless it's limited to a few partners, this is the worst news of this year. I really hope that at a minimum AA flights will be exempted.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Hmm, so will upgrade mileage awards incur surcharges beyond the copays already in effect?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Hmm, so will upgrade mileage awards incur surcharges beyond the copays already in effect?
Nobody knows the full effect of this yet, but one thing I think we know at the moment is that this specific change has nothing to do with upgrades at all.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Is AA management purposely pulling this *right now* to ensure the merger won't happen ?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:08 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Why is everyone having kittens about this?
As with BA they're now collecting something they should have been in the first place, consider ourselves lucky we got away with it for so long.

Now, if this includes a NEW policy of YQ on AA, have puppies; kittens are too small.
I think cows would be more appropriate myself...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
This is *really* bad news for non-US-based AAdvantage members like me.
With availabilty being restricted as it is and having to rely on partners for flight awards out of here anyway, adding BA-style YQ to them severely devalues AAdvantage for me. Need to weigh my options carefully from here on out.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
Is AA management purposely pulling this *right now* to ensure the merger won't happen ?

This isn't hard to believe at this point given how strange this action is. It just doesn't make any sense to pull this kind of move when you are being scrutinized by the DOJ. Also, it goes against how AA's historical strategy on differentiating itself from other legacy carriers, one that actually cares about customer loyalty. This move is just another big finger.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Is this only a partner award deal? Or is this also on AA metal overseas?

Edit: I just fake booked one to CDG, and it didnt have a fuel surcharge.

Last edited by austin_modern; Aug 28, 2013 at 9:22 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
At least one historically very trustworthy source seems to feel that the world is not yet coming to an end.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Man...and I thought the bad news and devaluations across many loyalty programs were done for the year..... 2013 is becoming the worst year ever for us...rethinking strategies going forward about all programs...maybe Priceline and Southwest are the way to go ...Hyatt are you next ?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
At least one historically very trustworthy source seems to feel that the world is not yet coming to an end.
Interesting. How has he been "historically very trustworthy?"
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
So sad, I can buy a MH ticket for that leg in biz for probably 300 usd. I hope some carriers will be exempted :-/
$324 to be exact on Expedia.

Just checked HA. No YQ on HNL-HND yet.
Guess I will have to make up my mind for the scheduling of the CX flights if they push the YR through as well.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Maybe we should be proactive and start a social media blizzard to outlaw YQ on any tickets issued in U.S.

We can call in the cruisers because all the cruise lines retained the right to charge YQ even after the ticket is issued when fuel is above $90. which has been most of last 3 years.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Interesting. How has he been "historically very trustworthy?"
The history is available both there and here (on FT). You need only do some research to get the answer to your question.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Microwave
Well, it is confirmed on MH. The key is if it is going to happen on any other carriers. I'm not seeing much as of yet on other carriers. I tend not to believe what the AAgents are saying to some people, when have we believed them before? They are given memos that don't have much information and expected to interpret them, and their interpretation may or may not be what actually happens. Let's not start quoting them as AAdvantage gospel now! I'm on vacation in KUL so I can't easily call AA myself to try any carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.