Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Read Playboy on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2001, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
MiAAmiStew, I want to fly with you! At what point in the pre-boarding process do you start handing out the *really* good magazines?! And do you have a good inventory for all orientations?

Seriously, you have a good "hands off" policy. What somebody reads or does in the lav is really no big deal to me as long as they're discrete about it. I'd much rather sit next to someone quietly reading an adult magazine than a loud talker or crying baby, but that's just me...
Old Dec 17, 2001, 3:34 pm

Flying back from JFK a few weeks ago I went to the lavatory at the rear of the plane. Walking back to my seat I saw a person reading a magazine which appeared to be called "Bondage Weekly" - as I sat down I glanced back and it seemed he was reading American Way" - the inner magazine could still be clearly detected though - gave me a giggle
Old Dec 17, 2001, 3:45 pm

Just my 2 cents:

I don't personally have a problem with Playboy or any other material of that nature, and I swear I am not a prude, but I do not think it is appropriate to read magazines or books with visible nudity in public. It's simply a matter of respect for others around you. There are just some things you do not do in public (pick your nose, fart, look at nude centerfolds, etc.).

In essence, don't do anything on the plane that you wouldn't do in view of your boss.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't discuss politics or religion in front of the boss; I don't read newspapers all day in front of the boss, I don't drink in front of the boss (boss is sort of anti-alcohol) and I sure don't sleep for hours in front of the boss.

Scooterino, you want to take all the fun out of flying in J or P on long flights.

Speaking of nude centerfolds, farting and pickin' your nose - you don't play golf with male bosses, do you?
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:13 pm

i dunno lewdog. when i think of all the asses that have been plopped down in lavs, and all the times a guy goes into the lav, and the plane hits bumps...you know he is spraying, it cant be helped. thats nasty. and think about the seat you are sitting in, full of a million miles worth of other people's farts. the recirculated air. the sneezing. its a testament to our superior immune systems. im telling you, people forming the beast with two backs is probably one of the cleanest things that goes on.

dont even get me going on hotel rooms. i double-dog dare you to pull the fitted sheet back on one of those mattresses someday and take a gander. it gives new meaning to the term post-modern-impressionist art.

to answer the gay dude, it wouldnt bug me if you read blueboy, unless you refused to rip out the crossword and let me do it. that mag has the BEST brain-teaser page.

while i have never been next in line after two people who were bumping uglies to get into the MHC, i have already planned what i will say: "uhh, miss? you left your underwear."

except i will wait till she is about ten rows away. >

and finally, i personally think womens mags are better than maxim or even playboy. go snag a copy of cosmo or one of those. not only are there tons of sassy photos, but they have lots of those 'confessions of best friends' articles and stuff about slumber parties and all that. top notch.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:23 pm
m60

Is this April Fools in December? This is the silliest thing I have ever read. To think that an airline with American in its name would actually take steps to censor the reading material of its passengers is totally, unbelievably unamerican and bizarre. Very Talibanesque.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MiAAmistew:
Read what you want...but be discreet.</font>
I agree. It is shared space, after all. It doesn't bother me, but others may take offense to it.

As for the MHC, I remember the book, "Cabin Pressure", written by two AA FA's (at least that's the going view of who they worked for at the time) who flew NYD-LA routes. There was a mini-chapter devoted entirely to how to join the MHC without attracting attention from anyone else in the aircraft. (Edited to clarify this statement.)

I could post more here, like the fact that I remember the talk show they appeared on to promote the book, etc., but I won't bore you.

;-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">....her boyfriend was on the flight with her, but he was not the "object of her affection"...so to speak. </font>
Ouch, babe. Hell hath no fury like an FA scorned by her boyfriend's activities on the plane, especially when she's working the flight.

IMO, that had to have been pretty stressful to her, particularly while she was on duty.

Studley

------------------
Friends don't let friends play Naked Twister without tequila.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited 12-17-2001).]
Old Dec 17, 2001, 5:17 pm

If AA was only a domestic airline (like Southwest) you might have a point about not wanting to offend your fellow puritan (lets make sure you are not having more fun than I am) American passengers but American flys to several destinations in Europe where the standards would make your typical American grandmother blush.

I would call sitting next to someone reading something risque a good warm up for things to come.

Old Dec 17, 2001, 5:37 pm

Cory Spiro is a friend of mine, and I've met Liz Harwell...both good people in my book...they are the authors of "Cabin Pressure". I think you might have misunderstood me...the female involved in that little "tussle" was a passenger...not a Flight Attendant. Her boyfriend had fallen asleep, she was totally trashed, and she started searching for "availables". (All-nighter from Rio...). It's a really weird story...we almost had to break up a fight between the boyfriend and Mr. Available. Heaven's to Betsy, people! She was not in her right mind! She fell flat on her face walking off the plane!
We get asked this alot..."So! Have you joined the MHC?" (Wink,wink..). My answer is standard..."When would I get either the time, or the inclination? I'm working here!".
Fly Trojan,

MiAAmistew
Old Dec 17, 2001, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MiAAmistew:
We get asked this alot..."So! Have you joined the MHC?" (Wink,wink..).
</font>
Be careful.. you're going to get people asking if they can be comp'd from other programs....
Old Dec 17, 2001, 8:40 pm

Richard Branson was once quoted that they encourage people to join the mile high club on their flights --- On virgin that is.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 10:08 pm

Why not boldly leap into the 21st Century and go with computers? I should think a 14" active-matrix screen can beat an old-style magazine page any day, regardless of your preferences...and, several corporations market models that are meant to be next to impossible to read at an angle. I had been looking eagerly forward to the Boeing broadband project coming to fruition so that I could download...corporate, uh...documents?...at high speed, but alas, that seems to have been delayed indefinitely. C'mon people, embrace the paperless future...
Old Dec 17, 2001, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonathanR:
Why not boldly leap into the 21st Century and go with computers? I should think a 14" active-matrix screen can beat an old-style magazine page any day, regardless of your preferences...and, several corporations market models that are meant to be next to impossible to read at an angle. I had been looking eagerly forward to the Boeing broadband project coming to fruition so that I could download...corporate, uh...documents?...at high speed, but alas, that seems to have been delayed indefinitely. C'mon people, embrace the paperless future...</font>
Actually, not a bad suggestion. The new eBook readers might be an excellent idea as an inflight service item. It's a huge pain to reload magazines constantly, but fairly easy to change the software in an eBook. AA could hand them out and retrieve them just like the bose headsets.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 12:22 am

Cory Spiro is a friend of mine, and I've met Liz Harwell...both good people in my book...they are the authors of "Cabin Pressure".</font>
They seem like great people, at least what I saw of them when they were promoting the book on "The Pat Sajak Show" ten years ago. Are they still flying?

IMO, "Cabin Pressure", when it was released, was one of the landmark books on what it was like to be on a flight crew.

I did misunderstand you about the female and her "new" friend, I apologize.

Studley

------------------
Friends don't let friends play Naked Twister without tequila.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 5:01 am

Stud,
Yes, I saw the same show, and yup, they're still flying...Cory finally slid back to Domestic after having flown to Paris out of JFK for so long and so often that she had her clocks in her apartment set to Paris time so she would avoid jetlag. Liz has her own music production company, so she doesn't fly much anymore, I guess. The last time I saw Liz we were partners working on a full- size human dummy doing Automatic External Defibrillator practice at Recurrent emergency procedures training, (we call them EPT's). Next time I see them, I'll tell them you said "Hello".
MIAAmistew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.