Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Will you be sticking with AA for your 2014 flying?
Definitely, I haven't seen enough to make me change
71.03%
Undecided, I plan to wait and see how things settle out
22.43%
No, I have decided to plant my flag elsewhere for next year
6.54%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Stick with AA for 2014 or not

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up Absolutely staying

Hedging bets on UA (given proximity to SFO) but will do my best to requalify for EXP again in 14. Even more so now that the DOJ has seen fit to challenge (and hopefully torpedo) the merger!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: all
gonna stay with AA
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The biggest issues I have in the decision process are the AA removal of the "soft landing" and finally earning LTG. I am too far along with mileage credit (for PLT) this year to change and I certainly will not be leaving OW. But earning in 2014 for 2015 is "up in the air".

But being based much closer to HKG than DFW, CX Silver does have its attractions, even with benefits limited mainly to CX . And QF Gold while having lousy redemption values is relatively easy to obtain for world-wide lounge access.

Fortunately the decisions and expenses are deferred until January.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
Staying loyal ^
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Truck Guy
Staying loyal ^
I hope there's more to it than that for you. Staying loyal for loyalty's sake? I hope they offer best routes, prices, etc. for you.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AA been good to me many a years,

Delta you have got to be kidding,

BA state side no problems, no fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by brp
Still 100% on domestic upgrades despite all of the doomsayers (going on 3 years now). Why would we leave? Where would we go? Throw in the EXP Desk (maybe not quite a good as it used to be, but still very good), and I don't even see the reason for the question

Cheers.
Piling on. 100% for 30 months, one fail in 3 yrs - domestic anyway. Some were 11th hour or literally at the gate, but a better record than on UA the last 2 years. My merger gains would have been better BOS/PVD, maybe CLE skeds but not much on the West Coast from here anyway - and I don't mind the DFW connections from DCA -vs- having to hump to IAD for more direct UA. I'm staying put.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Assume at this point the merger will go forward. Because it likely will. DOJ will most likely either settle or just loose this case. It just delays it by a while.

I still think it was the folks at AA that cocked this up since they never wanted it anyway. That ship has sailed. In all likely hood the deal will eventually close.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by grahampros
Assume at this point the merger will go forward. Because it likely will. DOJ will most likely either settle or just loose this case. It just delays it by a while.

I still think it was the folks at AA that cocked this up since they never wanted it anyway. That ship has sailed. In all likely hood the deal will eventually close.
No, it won't. The merger is dead. US and AA might try again, but it's not happe ing this round.

No way DOJ loses, and it has no reason to settle.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No, it won't. The merger is dead. US and AA might try again, but it's not happe ing this round.

Amen. I am sticking with AA as my primary carrier, as well. I am just about to complete a 1k challenge though, just in case the merger goes through and Dougie messes with AAdvantage and EXP status. Plus, I fly enough to make EXP and at least UA Plat in any year...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold

Btw...slightly off topic, I know. But the merger would be rubber stamped in the next recession. That's when I expect AA and US to try again.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Staying w AA...should requalifying in Dec for EXP with some extra flying I will be doing
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT

You are likely to be proven incorrect about that.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
...Air Canada fees and surcharges are as bad on all airlines as with BA/IB award...So if you want to see a really bad FF program can get...)
no ScamCharges on Eva, Swiss, UA flights
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by brp
Still 100% on domestic upgrades despite all of the doomsayers (going on 3 years now). Why would we leave? Where would we go? Throw in the EXP Desk (maybe not quite a good as it used to be, but still very good), and I don't even see the reason for the question

Cheers.
almost 100% +1.

Except... I can't search flights on the airline's own website, on ITA, even on EF! Somewhere wAAy wAAy behind the curtain, in the bowels of the global database, AA has screwed it up so you can't get the flights to display. So if I want to go on their newly-improved 22h itinerary YYZ-ORD-NRT-BKK (and 22h coming home, too), I have to search it on the Hong Kong AA site, print screen, call my agent, browbeat them into booking it, correct the name mismatch.
Sigh.

And Yet...
I'm 100% for domestic upgrades (even when I was PLT), all-but-one for Int'l upgrades, and having used SWUs to take my 85-year-old mother on 77W to LHR, used FL in JFK and LHR, and the entire airline put on a show that almost embarrassed me with it's Son-Makes-Good theatricality...

...selfishness and greed compel me to stick with AA.

This fall, when they're scAAred of the DOJ action, they'll try to staunch the exodus of high elites. And you know what that means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.