Wiki Posts
Search

Is the MD-80 gone yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Mad Dogs are oh-so-whisper-quiet up in F, though...
No, they're actually not. When they get up to speed, the wind noise makes them as loud as other single aisle aircraft - as TheJeff indicates. The noise is at a higher frequency than engine noise, but that's all. I need my sound suppressing ear plugs / buds as much in an MD-80 as in a 737.

The DC-9 on steroids ("S-80") will be here for a while, 2017 anyway as 777Pax guesses, on thin mid-cons like SMF-DFW or short hauls like DFW-SAT because there were so many, and because of the relatively slow replacement rate.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
No, they're actually not. When they get up to speed, the wind noise makes them as loud as other single aisle aircraft - as TheJeff indicates. The noise is at a higher frequency than engine noise, but that's all. I need my sound suppressing ear plugs / buds as much in an MD-80 as in a 737.
Agreed. They're relatively quiet up front at takeoff speed and absolutely silent up front upon landing, but at cruise, there's something about the aerodynamics of the front end that produces a very loud wind/slipstream roar. Still beats the last row of economy by miles.

The DC-9 on steroids ("S-80") will be here for a while, 2017 anyway as 777Pax guesses, on thin mid-cons like SMF-DFW or short hauls like DFW-SAT because there were so many, and because of the relatively slow replacement rate.
Lots of speculation these days about the effects of lower fuel prices and whether those low prices will slow down the fleet replacement. Last year, upon taking over, Parker trimmed the AA Airbus order book by 30 A321/A319s, and it's not inconceivable that very low fuel prices, if they continue, could result in some further trimming/delaying of the massive single aisle orders still outstanding. All those decisions were made when fuel was $3/gal and right now, it's less than half that. This week's spot prices for jet fuel are the same as the mid-2004 to mid-2005 period before prices began their steep rise around the time of Hurricane Katrina.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No, they're actually not. When they get up to speed, the wind noise makes them as loud as other single aisle aircraft - as TheJeff indicates. The noise is at a higher frequency than engine noise, but that's all.
Most people lose their hearing from the highest frequencies down, so if you're over 60, it's quite possible that the MD80s sound "whisper quiet."
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
MD-80s will be gone from DCA shortly. Latest schedule shows 737s on all DCA-DFW.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Most people lose their hearing from the highest frequencies down, so if you're over 60, it's quite possible that the MD80s sound "whisper quiet."
Guess my ears are still young and healthy, then, since to me those Mad Dogs are snarling beasts of noise in first class (when at cruise speed)!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'm well over that; they're still screaming noisy to me. Then again, I can still hear cedar waxwings and Anna's hummingbirds calling in trees a block away.

April 2014, AA still listed 163 Mad Dogs in the fleet.

On order:

American Airlines

Boeing 737 Family 80
Boeing 737 Max Family 100
Boeing 777 Family 10
Boeing 787 Family 42
Airbus 320 Family 110
Airbus 320 NEO Family 130
CRJ-900 (to be operated by PSA Airlines, Inc.) 30
ERJ-175 (to be operated by a
regional partner to be identified) 60
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I was on 5 of them last week and agree that they are noisy up front at cruising speed. That's not a deal breaker for me, however, if they would simply do a better job of maintaining them.

One flight from SMF-DFW had no running water. The FAs put towelettes in the lav basins, but they were the kind you would use after eating barbecue, not to sanitize your hands. I didn't complain, but I declined my meal. Would you eat in a restaurant that had no running water?

On another flight, the guy next to me had a completely useless tray table. He literally had to balance his meal in his lap. He was pretty upset after having paid for F to avoid "the crazy frequent flyer games."

The faucets in the lavs don't smoothly dispense water, they spit the water toward the passenger washing with them. Not much room to dodge it, even though I know, so I always leave the lav with wet pants. Classy. It's not unusual to find one with a missing "flush" button, either. Still works, but even more gross to touch than the norm.

Coming from UA where I was fed up with RJs, I'm glad to see something that big on many routes I fly. If fuel prices make them profitable, I'm glad to have them. Please, please, please, AA, just fix the darned details. At least north of the dividing bulkhead.

The one thing I do like is that at 56 years old, the FAs on the MDs always make me feel young.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
MD-80s will be gone from DCA shortly. Latest schedule shows 737s on all DCA-DFW.
Can any ops experts confirm or provide specifics? If so, I would actually like to try go get the last ride out of DCA if it is not too late. I love the aircraft, and love hearing them blasting out of DCA. From my place in north arlington you can practically tell as soon as they have left the tarmac.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Can any ops experts confirm or provide specifics? If so, I would actually like to try go get the last ride out of DCA if it is not too late. I love the aircraft, and love hearing them blasting out of DCA. From my place in north arlington you can practically tell as soon as they have left the tarmac.
Latest schedule for next month has them all gone. Its all 737s to DFW/ORD/MIA/LAX.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I just saw MD80s popping up LAS-LAX and back over Thanksgiving weekend.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew one ORD-RDU last week.

However, I booked a ticket ORD-DFW-RDU (cheaper than ORD-RDU for the flight times I wanted :-O) for September and both flights are on 738s. Both routes have been solidly MD-80s for over a decade.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
DFW to Colorado Springs still flying them this summer.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Is the MD-80 gone yet?

still lots of them AUS-DFW, although some flights are being replaced by the RJ+, the A319. I can't believe AA is flying A319s AUS-LAX. Be careful what we wish for.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Flew one from ORD-MCI yesterday. Yes, old, tattered, but still a good ride (and quiet up front).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:42 am

Aren't there still a bunch flying ORD-DFW?
I'm scheduled to be on one of them in a couple of months...not looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.