FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is the MD-80 gone yet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1496074-md-80-gone-yet.html)

GeneralVeers Apr 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Daze (Post 22769655)
While I can see some reasons to like the 738 better, particularly on longer flights, I also see some reasons not to like it.

As for the other three, they are IMHO all inferior to those 163 MD80s, and I hope the mad dogs stay flying for some time to come.

Daze

738 only because of AVOD.

I would argue the E175 is better because of the all 2-2 seating. If they had E175s with AVOD they would be the best plane out there!

aamilesslave Apr 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22770269)
738 only because of AVOD.

I would argue the E175 is better because of the all 2-2 seating. If they had E175s with AVOD they would be the best plane out there!

I really don't understand the fascination of some with AVOD on short flights. It's nice to have something on a long flight across the ocean, but that's the only time I really ever consider tuning in. I'm almost always working on flights (or doing some personal stuff on WiFi flights). I have some downloaded shows and movies on my laptop - and I'm lucky if I get through a 1/2 season of Mad Men over the course of a year.

The only time I'd really like to have AVOD is for live sporting events - post-season games, college football, and Rangers baseball. But live TV is not something AA offers.

f0xx Apr 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 22770350)
I really don't understand the fascination of some with AVOD on short flights. It's nice to have something on a long flight across the ocean, but that's the only time I really ever consider tuning in. I'm almost always working on flights (or doing some personal stuff on WiFi flights). I have some downloaded shows and movies on my laptop - and I'm lucky if I get through a 1/2 season of Mad Men over the course of a year.

The only time I'd really like to have AVOD is for live sporting events - post-season games, college football, and Rangers baseball. But live TV is not something AA offers.

I agree. My flights from STL/DCA or STL/DFW feel so short, they're not needed.
Now WiFi on a CRJ would be nice...

GeneralVeers Apr 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 22770350)

I'm a refugee from United, and used to RJ flights of 3+ hours.

Still, I routinely do DFW > FSD which is 2 hours in an ERJ4. That's one I could certainly use AVOD.

cubuffaloes2004 May 11, 2014 8:25 am

Last Flight for N7530

Dallas Morning News this morning has an article outlining the last flight for N7530 to the bone yard in Roswell - as well as some metrics around the MD80 overall.

Ill really miss this plane (having flown it about 400 times over the last 6 years). I must have been really lucky - but i have never experienced many mechanical issues - and i love how comfy the seats in first are on the E/F side (6F is my go to).

http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/2014_May/md80/

f0xx May 11, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004 (Post 22846199)
Dallas Morning News this morning has an article outlining the last flight for N7530 to the bone yard in Roswell - as well as some metrics around the MD80 overall.

Ill really miss this plane (having flown it about 400 times over the last 6 years). I must have been really lucky - but i have never experienced many mechanical issues - and i love how comfy the seats in first are on the E/F side (6F is my go to).

http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/2014_May/md80/

Sad to see it go. :td:
Glad to see that my STL > DFW are still running these Mad Dogs. ^
I'm young compared to most on here, but I'm quite fond of these planes.

I would always look out my window and ask my parents why we never flew the "shiny planes". (Father preferred other airlines at the time.)

oopsz May 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 22770864)
I agree. My flights from STL/DCA or STL/DFW feel so short, they're not needed.
Now WiFi on a CRJ would be nice...

Recently flew on a Delta CRJ-900 and was pleasantly surprised to see it had Gogo service.

CMK10 May 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 22847784)
Recently flew on a Delta CRJ-900 and was pleasantly surprised to see it had Gogo service.

Delta is great about that, even their CR7s have Wifi

f0xx May 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 22847784)

I got excited.
Then read it again....

:mad::mad:

SeriouslyLost May 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food (Post 22764428)
Test around row 16 on the MD80. I've observed there seems to be a sweet spot of quiet.

I've found there's more variation across individual aircraft than across seat positions or aircraft types. I was on an MD80 from DFW to ORD last year and it was one of the quietest flights I've ever taken. Ever. On anything. Exact same seat on another one two weeks later and I couldn't hear myself think it was so loud.

0335th May 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004 (Post 22846199)
i love how comfy the seats in first are on the E/F side (6F is my go to).

I 100% agree!

That's my favorite seat as well!

I just noticed that they are starting bring in 738's on the DFW-PHL-DFW route.

phillyjoe May 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by 0335th (Post 22848601)
I 100% agree!

That's my favorite seat as well!

I just noticed that they are starting bring in 738's on the DFW-PHL-DFW route.

I love the mad dogs for the space in F. I'll miss them.

JonNYC Jan 23, 2015 7:51 am

As of this week, AA still has 135 active MD80's

CMK10 Jan 23, 2015 7:55 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 24219786)
As of this week, AA still has 135 active MD80's

I flew OMA-DFW-RDU on two S80s last weekend. They're not in the best shape, that's for sure. One was built in 1988, the other in 1989.

777Pax Jan 23, 2015 8:32 am

My understanding is the last one is scheduled to leave the fleet sometime in 2017.