FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is the MD-80 gone yet? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1496074-md-80-gone-yet.html)

joebeenyc Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm on ORD-LAS AA2427 next Sun on a MD-80.

relangford Apr 24, 2014 11:24 pm

<redacted>

Seat 6E on an MD80 = 65db
Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE.
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers. Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?

TheJeff Apr 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by relangford (Post 22757955)
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers. Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?

I'll freely admit that mine is just an app on my phone - someone with access to a real decibel meter may be able to give more accurate numbers, this was just for my own personal edification.

WillTravel4Food Apr 26, 2014 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TheJeff (Post 22757463)
Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE. I don't have MCE for an MD80 yet but should have it by this time next week.

Test around row 16 on the MD80. I've observed there seems to be a sweet spot of quiet.

pauleeepaul Apr 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by 0335th (Post 22757166)
I fully agree!!!

Those ole MD80's might not have the curb appeal everyone likes. But they are definitely a way more comfortable ride.

There was a lot of hate for the F100s- until they were gone...

I see the same thing happening for the mad dogs- especially if an RJ or 319 is the replacement.

GeneralVeers Apr 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 22766239)

I see the same thing happening for the mad dogs- especially if an RJ or 319 is the replacement.

Only thing I don't like about them is the old/outdated cabin and lake of any IFE. Other than that they are no worse than a 737, and leagues ahead of the 757.

If they weren't phasing them out, I'd say it would be mandatory for AA to give them an interior refurb.

C17PSGR Apr 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 22766239)

+1

AA_SPG_Fan Apr 26, 2014 8:33 pm

I was wondering the same thing just the other day -- and lo' and behold -- I'm on an MD80 from ABQ-DFW

JDiver Apr 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22766592)
Only thing I don't like about them is the old/outdated cabin and lake of any IFE. Other than that they are no worse than a 737, and leagues ahead of the 757.

If they weren't phasing them out, I'd say it would be mandatory for AA to give them an interior refurb.

Shoot, a really good cleaning would help. ;)

WChou Apr 27, 2014 12:24 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 22767503)
Shoot, a really good cleaning would help. ;)

Agreed. Each plane must be holding 5lbs worth of beer farts.

mvoight Apr 27, 2014 1:54 am

Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category?

There are phone apps that can do this. :)

gcuk Apr 27, 2014 2:23 am

Only 163 of them left in service with AA according to one of the fleet list websites so still some time to enjoy the MD ;)

FN-GM Apr 27, 2014 2:49 am

[QUOTE=mvoight;22767901]

Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? QUOTE]

There are phone apps that can do this. :)

Phones must remain switched off during flight, it "interferes" with the navigation equipment :rolleyes:;):p

Herb687 Apr 27, 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by TheJeff (Post 22757463)
Curiously enough I recently started tracking noise levels mid-flight:

Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE. I don't have MCE for an MD80 yet but should have it by this time next week.

It would be interesting to see the difference in noise levels between an aisle and window seat up front in an MD-80. Qualitatively I feel that the window seats seem a shade noisier than aisle seats and this would make sense given that slipstream is the source of all the noise. Would be great to see some data though.

A 3 db difference in noise between 737 and MD-80 seems pretty small so hopefully we can put to rest the oft repeated falsehood that MD-80s are "whisper quiet" up front in the cruise phase of flight.

Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers.

I haven't found it publicly reported for airliners but they certainly engineer and test for it. Business jet manufacturers even more so. Cabin noise levels are part of the specification and/or completion specification for bizjets so an airplane has to come in below a certain threshold or risk a customer being able to refuse to accept delivery on the basis of it not meeting the spec.

Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?
Why would there be?

My firm used to do a lot of technical consulting on completions. We had staff that traveled with real decibel meters to take readings on aircraft. I don't seem to recall them ever saying they had to check that equipment or that it posed problems at checkpoints.

Daze Apr 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk (Post 22767961)
Only 163 of them left in service with AA according to one of the fleet list websites so still some time to enjoy the MD ;)

Yes, the real question is, as some of us complain about the MD80:

Will we like what they replace them with better?

737-800?

A319?

E175?

Various US Airways aircraft?

While I can see some reasons to like the 738 better, particularly on longer flights, I also see some reasons not to like it.

As for the other three, they are IMHO all inferior to those 163 MD80s, and I hope the mad dogs stay flying for some time to come.

Daze