Window shade etiquette--what should I have done?

Old Nov 20, 2001, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lisamcgu:
[edited to put in a smiley face, in case someone thought I was serious about drugging babies. ]</font>
Too bad! Prior to your edit, you (and kid) would have been welcomed on any of the flights I am on!

[Edited because the software automatically converted my first choice of exclamation (a mild one that Webster's defines as being "often used to express annoyance, disgust, or surprise") into *****. And yes, it's a joke.]

[This message has been edited by hillrider (edited 11-20-2001).]
Old Nov 20, 2001, 5:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rxziebel:
If someone has the right to bring a screaming baby on the flight and disturb the entire cabin then ...</font>
I don't believe they should have that "right". They should have the responsibility to keep said brat reasonably quiet, whether that be by sticking a dummy in its mouth or by drugging it.

I usually keep my window shade(s) down, so that it's possible for those who wish to to most easily sleep or watch movies. The main exceptions are if it's daytime and there are no movies or if it's so dark outside that it doesn't matter or if I specifically want to look out the window.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kremmen:
I don't believe they should have that "right". They should have the responsibility to keep said brat reasonably quiet, whether that be by sticking a dummy in its mouth or by drugging it.</font>
Didn't think they actually made baby valium (reason it was just a joke) but, now that I think about it, my cousin once told me that sometimes a little cold medicine, down the hatch, is the way to go ... of course, his kids were older.

Anyway, I know in public dog parks, if you can't control your dog with, at minimum, voice commands, you can't bring it in. So, if there are drugs to keep a baby from crying, and smaller children from acting out, why can't airlines have similar rules.

Its amazing to me how many selfish people there are on this planet. The needs of a few cannot exceed the needs of the many - there would be complete anarchy - no?

If the parents say they don't want to drug their babies because it might be harmful ... think of all the germy, yucky, recirculated air they are exposing that baby to just to go visit Aunt Gertrude or something. A little baby drug is nothing compared to coach air.

... also, have you ever automatically thought, when watching someone bring a baby onboard, that they probably take it to the movies with them too, and that is just the type of people they are.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

First of all, thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I was surprised by the number of responses, as well as the insistence of some of the posters on both sides (of which I myself was guilty on the aforementiond flight).

By my count, there have been 14 comments to keep the shade up, 10 to shut it completely, and 13 to compromise. After reading the responses, I've shifted from my belief that the window seat occupant controls the window shade and, except in cases of direct sunlight, that's the end of the story. In cases where I have three shades, I will now close 2 to 2.5 of them in the future. (I closed 2 on the original flight, but did so only grudgingly.)

I must admit, however, that after re-reading this thread, I think those who insist on all shades being closed and those who feel that leaving some portion of one's shade open speaks detrimental volumes to one's character are guilty of the same obstinance that I displayed on my original flight. This unscientific sample suggests that more people would leave shades open if they were not afraid of scornful FA's, and that such instances are not cases of one person polluting the environment to the disdain of everyone else in the cabin. With nearly 75% of the comments in the 'up' or 'compromise' camp, IMHO, this thread does not bear that out.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 12:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jmorris:
This unscientific sample suggests that more people would leave shades open if they were not afraid of scornful FA's, and that such instances are not cases of one person polluting the environment to the disdain of everyone else in the cabin. With nearly 75% of the comments in the 'up' or 'compromise' camp, IMHO, this thread does not bear that out.</font>
As I have said before, I think the views are gorgeous. I would love to have the window open the entire time, taking a sleep aid to get me, personally, past having the light on my eyes, just so I could glance out and see the changing view, if I happen to wake up every now and then.

But there is no amount of justification, especially from some slight opinion poll, that will allow me to not see the disturbance that is caused every time I have ever opened the shade while people are trying to sleep.

Not, as you imply, because I am obstinate, a self-serving gesture, do I keep my shade down. But, quite the contrary, because I let myself see that my needs don't outweigh that of the group, a highly unselfish act - one that needs no survey, questions, excuses or justification.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 11:10 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lisamcgu:
Didn't think they actually made baby valium (reason it was just a joke) but, now that I think about it, my cousin once told me that sometimes a little cold medicine, down the hatch, is the way to go ... of course, his kids were older.

Anyway, I know in public dog parks, if you can't control your dog with, at minimum, voice commands, you can't bring it in. So, if there are drugs to keep a baby from crying, and smaller children from acting out, why can't airlines have similar rules.

Its amazing to me how many selfish people there are on this planet. The needs of a few cannot exceed the needs of the many - there would be complete anarchy - no?

If the parents say they don't want to drug their babies because it might be harmful ... think of all the germy, yucky, recirculated air they are exposing that baby to just to go visit Aunt Gertrude or something. A little baby drug is nothing compared to coach air.

... also, have you ever automatically thought, when watching someone bring a baby onboard, that they probably take it to the movies with them too, and that is just the type of people they are.
</font>
If it's OK to drug a baby to get him/her to sleep, surely an adult having a couple drinks to go to sleep with some light in the cabin is acceptable, no? Plus, the adult can choose whether to drink the alcohol, whereas the baby can't decide whether to take the cold medicine.

So what if the cabin air is recirculated? How does that justify giving drugs to babies? Maybe I should try that excuse when smoking pot outdoors -- since the air is polluted, what's the big deal about marijuana? (hypothetical situation in case you're wondering)

A parent who gives a baby drugs (yes, cold medicine is a drug) just to keep him/her quiet should have the baby taken away and given to a foster home! That's abuse. Would you like it if I poured vodka down your throat to get you to calm down?

BTW, I've never seen someone bring a baby to a movie theater. That doesn't make any sense. Taking a baby on a plane is not for entertainment, it's transportation.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 11-21-2001).]
Old Nov 21, 2001, 10:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
If it's OK to drug a baby to get him/her to sleep, surely an adult having a couple drinks to go to sleep with some light in the cabin is acceptable, no? Plus, the adult can choose whether to drink the alcohol, whereas the baby can't decide whether to take the cold medicine.

So what if the cabin air is recirculated? How does that justify giving drugs to babies? Maybe I should try that excuse when smoking pot outdoors -- since the air is polluted, what's the big deal about marijuana? (hypothetical situation in case you're wondering)

A parent who gives a baby drugs (yes, cold medicine is a drug) just to keep him/her quiet should have the baby taken away and given to a foster home! That's abuse. Would you like it if I poured vodka down your throat to get you to calm down?

BTW, I've never seen someone bring a baby to a movie theater. That doesn't make any sense. Taking a baby on a plane is not for entertainment, it's transportation.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 11-21-2001).]
</font>
Your first paragrah ... huh? And the next, huh? And, the next one and ... gosh, every one, huh? I think you've been spending too much time outdoors.
Old Nov 22, 2001, 4:17 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Would you like it if I poured vodka down your throat to get you to calm down?</font>
Substitute bourbon for vodka and I'd be your new best friend.

Old Nov 24, 2001, 6:10 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Your first paragrah ... huh? And the next, huh? And, the next one and ... gosh, every one, huh? I think you've been spending too much time outdoors.</font>
Why did you even bother responding? "Huh, huh, huh" -- do you have a point to make or not?
Old Nov 25, 2001, 12:24 pm

On my Thanksgiving weekend flights on TWA over the weekend, the pre-flight announcement included a request for passengers to raise all window shades.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 2:03 pm
J S

Why did you even bother responding? "Huh, huh, huh" -- do you have a point to make or not?</font>
It is funny to see another "JS" on the board. Clearly I--the guy with the space--am the newbie, but it is nice to see other people in New York with such great initials.
-JS

Old Nov 26, 2001, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I just had to respond to this one. If I am sitting in a window seat the shade is up unless there is a movie on. Otherwise, I am looking out the window or reading. Yes, I know if I'm reading your going to tell me to use the overhead light. It does not give me enough light to read. Now, if the sun is shining right into the window in someones face I will pull it down part of the way.

So my opion, if you want to sleep ask for a window seat and keep you shade down. Why should you be able to have the aisle seat and dictate to me to put the shade down?
Old Nov 28, 2001, 9:18 am

kids on planes suck most of the time. they arent BAD, but theyre ears hurt, or they get scared, or whatever. if you drug your kid, and he sleeps through the flight, or just sits in a lightly catatonic state, then you help your kid avoid all that stress. it isnt abuse, its aid. are you masking symptoms that endanger its life? no. are you causing permanent dain bramage? doubtful. you give him cold medecine when he is sick anyway, right? and think of the karmic implications. if you *know* you have a PITA kid, and *knowingly* bring him on planes and dont sedate him, you generate a ton of bad karma. (or maybe plane-ma?)

here is my proposed rule - you sit down withing 2 rows of me with a kid, and you have a choice, feed him some robitussin, or buy me drinks till i pass out. its win-win.

oh yeah, windowshades. we settle everything else by status, so that whole debate also ought to be handled the same way. EXP's get 5 votes. PLT's 3. GLD's 2. GPAX (generic pax, my new term for non-elite fliers, please use freely) get one vote. if there is a dispute, you vote on it. FA's get no say, they usually stand back in the galley and gossip anyway.
Old Nov 29, 2001, 10:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by homey:
... here is my proposed rule - you sit down within 2 rows of me with a kid, and you have a choice, feed him some robitussin, or buy me drinks till i pass out. its win-win ... </font>
Hey, thanx for lightening the mood.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.