Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR NOTE

Good day new AA flyers and those seeking AA status through this promotion,

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic and relevant, I'd like to add some clarity for our newer AAdvantage members here. While there is a wealth of information in this thread on the promotion in question, this thread is not a help desk for questions that are readily answered in forum FAQs.

For those with questions about how the AAdvantage programme works, please start with the sticky threads at the top of the forum thread list. The FAQs especially have a lot of helpful information. If you're still stuck, and you feel you've got a "basic" question, try the Newbie Lounge. If your question is specific to one of the topics covered in our Help Desk threads, head there for answers. If a consolidated thread already exists, check there first to see if your question is answered already.

This thread will be more strictly moderated to ensure it stays on topic. We welcome all new AA flyers to the fold, but posts need to stay on topic to keep our forum organised and findable. Thanks to everyone for cooperating and understanding.

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Fast Track To Elite Promo (2013 - no fee or EQP requirement) [TARGETED? Link dead.]

Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by SANLAXSFO
Unfortunately, you are right. It is time for EXPs to move to other programs.
Don't come to DL - they just announced in addition to the crappy mileage availability, it will now cost you MORE miles than any other airline to redeem a mileage flight.

In fact -- that is why I'm on the AA Forum and quite pleased to see this
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:46 pm

So is anyone thinking about opening another account... if for a little bit of extra flying I could make EXP.....
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
(,redacted) Also, who honestly didn't see this coming with the DoJ's announcement. They have to try and poach FFs wherever they can now that there's a delay of at least a FF season on the merger.

If merger fails, at least they can say that they've been trying to scrounge up passengers by any means necessary. Sucks for all of us that work to qualify during the year.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA exp, UA 1p, DL gold, HH diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't mind the promotion, but I find it a huge slap in the fact that current elites are excluded. It's basically saying screw you for your loyalty through tough times.

Very poorly conceived idea on AA's part.
+1
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here's my concern:

Kettle signs up for this promo. Then does as few as three MRs.... to HNL or EZE....10k EQMs each. Earns EXP status. Yikes! Could be a LOT of competition for eVIP upgrades next year...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:49 pm

As customers churn CC's, airlines will churn elites.You'll be back!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's my concern:

Kettle signs up for this promo. Then does as few as three MRs.... to HNL or EZE....10k EQMs each. Earns EXP status. Yikes! Could be a LOT of competition for eVIP upgrades next year...
How many kettles really do that? Other airline elites are the target of this. FT is a very distorted world. I can't see many people going from total no flying to 30k within 4 months, and then fly enough next year to use all of the eVIPs. However, other airline elites might take a look at AA due to this, and they are more likely to be the ones who will book 30k with AA. While there will be some opportunists sure, AA is clearly thinking that more of the valuable elites will be wooed to fly AA with this.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's my concern:

Wouldn't you say that someone who was doing 3 MRs to EZE would have to be a pretty savvy FT traveler?

I suspect the biggest beneficiaries are really going to be volume flyers anyways.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Just wait for the next promo next year to qualify until 2016, because AA is bound to make another bad press day and respond to it by diluting their elite program.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
The thing that irks me here is that this is not targeted. The past offers never bothered me - they were particularly going after selected passengers that, for whatever reasons they choose, AA felt would be high value to them. That's fine, it's smart business.

This isn't that - this is spreading a free code throughout the internet for anybody to sign up regardless of the value that they might bring, and that I find insulting to loyal customers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Any downside to signing up, even if I might not pull in 6,000 miles?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Any downside to signing up, even if I might not pull in 6,000 miles?
The disappointment that you didn't meet the minimum 6000 mile threshold
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The math isn't even accurate. The challenge corresponds to 18, 36, and 90 k eqm for gold, platinum, and EXP respectively (4 month period normalized to 12).
No worse than the original 5-10k EQP challenges; 10k EQP in 3mos equates to 40k to qualify for PLT. However that was EQP not EQM.

Does bother me that current elites cannot sign up to do this and reach a higher threshold. Particularly those with LT status who may have started flying AA less and less (not me) or have started flying on more award tickets (definitely me!).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:09 pm

Elite benefits at each mileage threshold.

Elite-Status Offer Terms and Conditions
AAdvantage elite-status membership received through this offer is valid through February 28, 2015. Upon reaching the required elite-qualifying miles threshold, your AAdvantage elite status membership benefits will take effect immediately

I wonder if you will receive the elite benefit at each threshold? ie at 12K EQM will I get all the benefits of Platinum on the way to 30K for Executive Platinum.

Last edited by stsomewhereman; Aug 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:11 pm

As someone with no status, and normally only flies by redeeming points, this sounds tempting to me.

Use TY points to mileage run to Exec Plat. Then use TY / UR to buy cheap economy international tickets and upgrade later.

But will I fly enough later to make it worth it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.