Wiki Posts
Search

ITA and AA.com pricing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
ITA and AA.com pricing

Found a thread from a few years back, but nothing recent on this topic.

Anyone else seeing ITA prices that are substantially lower than aa.com? For example, I've looked at OKC/SJU for 3-5 nights in October/November on ITA and prices have ranged anywhere from 380 to 600+ depending on what day, when I search, etc. AA.com is showing 511 for almost every day with a few rare exceptions.

Anyone else experiencing this? The last few times I've used ITA prior to this, it was always pretty accurate.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Are the fare classes shown by ITA the same as the ones offered by AA? There could be a published fare for, say, O fare at the lower rate. But that doesn't mean that AA are offering any availability in that fare. Does the $511 fare class match any of the other classes shown by ITA? (I'm not familiar with ITA to know if they show the pricing for all the fare classes, but I know that EF does, so they may.)

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Anyone else seeing ITA prices that are substantially lower than aa.com? For example, I've looked at OKC/SJU for 3-5 nights in October/November on ITA and prices have ranged anywhere from 380 to 600+ depending on what day, when I search, etc. AA.com is showing 511 for almost every day with a few rare exceptions.
Are you getting the same routing on ITA and AA.com? When I just did a quick search on ITA for OKC-SJU-OKC, departing 24 Sep and returning 28 Sep, I found a $380 constructed fare. But the routing is a dreadful OKC-DFW-MCO-MIA-SJU, SJU-MIA-MCO-DFW-OKC monstrosity. And then if you look at the fare details, it shows:

Fare 1: Carrier AA OD07ERR1 OKC to ORL
Fare 2: Carrier AA ONE5B4Z1 ORL to SJU
Fare 3: Carrier AA ONE5B4Z1 SJU to ORL
Fare 4: Carrier AA OD07ERR1 ORL to OKC
As you stated, when I go to AA.com, I'm presented with $511 fares, more in line with the fares shown on EF.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Edited to add: You may be able to get the ITA fare to show on AA.com by doing a multi-city search. I haven't tried, but it could be worth a shot.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by lbbzman
Are you getting the same routing on ITA and AA.com? When I just did a quick search on ITA for OKC-SJU-OKC, departing 24 Sep and returning 28 Sep, I found a $380 constructed fare. But the routing is a dreadful OKC-DFW-MCO-MIA-SJU, SJU-MIA-MCO-DFW-OKC monstrosity. And then if you look at the fare details, it shows:

As you stated, when I go to AA.com, I'm presented with $511 fares, more in line with the fares shown on EF.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Edited to add: You may be able to get the ITA fare to show on AA.com by doing a multi-city search. I haven't tried, but it could be worth a shot.
I used your dates on Multicity and got two $380.31 options using the okc-mco,mco-sju and sju-mco,mco-okc as the search criteria.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I used your dates on Multicity and got two $380.31 options using the okc-mco,mco-sju and sju-mco,mco-okc as the search criteria.
Whereas for Oct 14-17 ITA gave me a fare of $469 for:

OKC-SJU QNE4C2O1
SJU-ORL ONE5B4Z1
ORL-OKC OD07ERR1

While aa.com multicity for the 3 segments gave me a fare of $511 for the same flights:

OKC-SJU QKE0B1O1
SJU-ORL QKE0B1O1
ORL-OKC QKE0B1O1

Although EF does shows O availability for the individual segments, it does not show O availability for SJU-ORL or ORL-OKC, so ITA seems to have got its married segment logic wrong?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan
Whereas for Oct 14-17 ITA gave me a fare of $469 for:

OKC-SJU QNE4C2O1
SJU-ORL ONE5B4Z1
ORL-OKC OD07ERR1

While aa.com multicity for the 3 segments gave me a fare of $511 for the same flights:

OKC-SJU QKE0B1O1
SJU-ORL QKE0B1O1
ORL-OKC QKE0B1O1

Although EF does shows O availability for the individual segments, it does not show O availability for SJU-ORL or ORL-OKC, so ITA seems to have got its married segment logic wrong?
No, you got married availability wrong; it does not cut across booking classes. So in EF you'd be looking for OKCSJU in Q, plus SJUOKC in O.

In either cases, both ITA and aa.com use cached data; EF and actual bookings made by AA (on the phone and by AA.com) show/use real-time data, so they may not match, but if it's not in EF, it's not bookable (AA.com will fail when clicking reserve or whatever).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 14, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so I ran the ITA scenario and it's a 4-segment monstrosity.

You will not get a 4-segment connection on EF for SJUOKC; GDSs (at least Sabre, where AA is hosted) won't give you those solutions, it will give you only a max of 3 connections.

Also turns out that married segment logic only applies to a maximum of 3 segments. So in our 4-segment construction you have the first 3, or the last 3, drawing from married availability, while the additional segment draws from that specific market's availability. However, I was unable to make any permutation work due to lack of availability in O on one of the required instances.

I was unable to make any permutation work. So maybe ITA's application of married logic on >3 segment itineraries may be a bit bunk, or it's just drawing from stale data.

This is what ITA found and I tried to book:
San Juan (SJU) to Oklahoma City (OKC) - Thu, Oct 17
American Airlines Inc. San Juan (SJU) to Miami (MIA) - Thu, Oct 17
American Airlines Inc. 1556 Dep: 11:00AM Arr: 1:45PM 2h 45m Boeing 757 Economy (O)
Layover in MIA 0h 55m

American Airlines Inc. Miami (MIA) to Orlando (MCO) - Thu, Oct 17
American Airlines Inc. 1678 Dep: 2:40PM Arr: 3:40PM 1h 0m Boeing 757 Economy (O)
Layover in MCO 1h 15m

American Airlines Inc. Orlando (MCO) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Thu, Oct 17
American Airlines Inc. 2290 Dep: 4:55PM Arr: 6:50PM 2h 55m MD-80 Economy (O)
Layover in DFW 3h 30m

American Airlines Inc. Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Oklahoma City (OKC) - Thu, Oct 17
American Airlines Inc. 2274 Dep: 10:20PM Arr: 11:15PM 0h 55m MD-80 Economy (O)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Thanks.. I see where everyone is going with this in regards to pairing and fare codes. Got real busy at work today so I'll have to play with this more later tonight, now I know what to look for.

Appreciate everyone's help.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:03 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by hillrider
OK, so I ran the ITA scenario and it's a 4-segment monstrosity.

You will not get a 4-segment connection on EF for SJUOKC; GDSs (at least Sabre, where AA is hosted) won't give you those solutions, it will give you only a max of 3 connections.

Also turns out that married segment logic only applies to a maximum of 3 segments. So in our 4-segment construction you have the first 3, or the last 3, drawing from married availability, while the additional segment draws from that specific market's availability. However, I was unable to make any permutation work due to lack of availability in O on one of the required instances.

I was unable to make any permutation work. So maybe ITA's application of married logic on >3 segment itineraries may be a bit bunk, or it's just drawing from stale data.

This is what ITA found and I tried to book:
I did a successful test booking in Sabre by booking the first return flight (AA1556) on its own in O, then booking the last three flights (AA1678 AA2290 AA2274) also in O class. Our search engine knows how this works and generates an optimal answer.

(the last three flights together only have one seat available in O)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
I did a successful test booking in Sabre by booking the first return flight (AA1556) on its own in O, then booking the last three flights (AA1678 AA2290 AA2274) also in O class. Our search engine knows how this works and generates an optimal answer.

(EF is not clever enough to locate the AA1678 AA2290 AA2274 combination for MIA-MCO-DFW-OKC), but if that is the way ITA prices it, why does ITA show the fares as SJU-ORL and ORL-OKC, rather than SJU-MIA and MIA-OKC?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha! It was probably not there when I tried to do the same (it's easy for space to come and go when it's so limited, even more so when it depends on the fluctuation in availability of three flights).

I see the availability now and can confirm that the ITA solution is bookable.

Our search engine knows how this works and generates an optimal answer.
Glad to see that ITA hasn't lost its edge (kudos guys, and thanks for the post/support)!

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reason: Added verification of bookability
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan
(EF is not clever enough to locate the AA1678 AA2290 AA2274 combination for MIA-MCO-DFW-OKC), but if that is the way ITA prices it, why does ITA show the fares as SJU-ORL and ORL-OKC, rather than SJU-MIA and MIA-OKC?
Pricing (faring) and married segment availability are completely different logics and don't overlap. Once you have the space (married segment availability or whatever), you can apply whichever fares to the segments independently on how they got there; origin & destinations don't come into the picture.

That's the way it works, logical or not, and its based on outgrowth from legacy system as opposed to greenfield thinking/system design.

ITA is probably the only engine who can proactively exploit this. Those guys are, in a word, AMAZING.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:50 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by brp
Are the fare classes shown by ITA the same as the ones offered by AA? There could be a published fare for, say, O fare at the lower rate. But that doesn't mean that AA are offering any availability in that fare. Does the $511 fare class match any of the other classes shown by ITA? (I'm not familiar with ITA to know if they show the pricing for all the fare classes, but I know that EF does, so they may.)
ITA takes inventory availability into account, although occasionally it's not perfectly in sync with AA.com. Much different than EF in any case - ITA is much more useful for flight searches - you can rank order itineraries by price (among other options).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Pricing (faring) and married segment availability are completely different logics and don't overlap. Once you have the space (married segment availability or whatever), you can apply whichever fares to the segment independently on how they got there; origin & destinations don't come into the picture.

That's the way it works, logical or not, and its based on outgrowth from legacy system as opposed to greenfield thinking/system design.
Thanks for the clarification!

Orbitz (but not Expedia) also finds the fare without difficulty, but clearly aa.com is not as sophisticated.

Last edited by nbevan; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm Reason: not Expedia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.