Email offer to buy AAdvantage Miles from points.com

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Email offer to buy AAdvantage Miles from points.com

I received this email offer to purchase AAdvantage miles:

1.Get up to a 25% discount off the purchase price, through August 30

2.In addition, earn 2,000 bonus miles when you buy 20,000 or more miles, through August 15

The cost for 62,000 miles is $1354, or 2.2 cpm. Slightly lower cpm if I use AA Amex because I will earn double miles on the $1354 purchase price. This seems like a good deal but I am fairly new at this. My understanding is a good mileage run benchmark is less than 5 cpm. Your opinions please...

Link to purchase page https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...NCODE=SoloINTL
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I got the email too. I'm debating if it'd be a good deal or not
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:21 pm

Unfortunately because the purchase is through points.com, you won't get double miles for the purchase. There are only a few exceptions to getting category type bonuses when it comes to buying points, i.e. I believe LifeMiles purchases are not run through points.com and are classified as a travel purchase.

The other problem is that mileage runs are usually done for status, and purchased miles aren't EQM (elite qualifying miles). That is, they don't count for status! Redeemable for awards only.

This is why buying miles generally isn't a good deal unless you have near-term plans to redeem them for a higher value than you spend on them.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by erfreulich
Unfortunately because the purchase is through points.com, you won't get double miles for the purchase. There are only a few exceptions to getting category type bonuses when it comes to buying points, i.e. I believe LifeMiles purchases are not run through points.com and are classified as a travel purchase.

The other problem is that mileage runs are usually done for status, and purchased miles aren't EQM (elite qualifying miles). That is, they don't count for status! Redeemable for awards only.

This is why buying miles generally isn't a good deal unless you have near-term plans to redeem them for a higher value than you spend on them.
Thanks for the reply and clarification regarding purchasing miles through points.com. Yes I do plan to redeem them near term. I don't need them for status. My thinking is 62k is enough for one way to IAH-FCO, for example, in F. $1400 seems like a good price to me since a cash ticket would be much more.

Last edited by houstr8male; Aug 12, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reason: Omission
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by houstr8male
Slightly lower cpm if I use AA Amex because I will earn double miles on the $1354 purchase price.
??? I seem to have missed something here. I'd love to here more about this. Thanks!!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:00 pm

Thanks for the reply and clarification regarding purchasing miles through points.com. Yes I do plan to redeem them near term. I don't need them for status. My thinking is 62k is enough for one way to IAH-FCO, for example, in F. $1400 seems like a good price to me since a cash ticket would be much more.
Then you're good to go!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My thinking is 62k is enough for one way to IAH-FCO, for example, in F. $1400 seems like a good price to me since a cash ticket would be much more.
Would you have actually purchased a 1st class ticket though? If not then the price difference isn't really relevent
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Would you have actually purchased a 1st class ticket though? If not then the price difference isn't really relevent
I think it is relevant in terms of "value" received for price paid - i.e. an F ticket IAH to FCO for $1400 is a good "value". If OP "must" travel to FCO (say for a cruise), the great majority of Y tickets are over $2000 (one way); and of course, there is no comparison between Y and F (especially when it is for less money)
Of course, the best deals are the ones that CCs give you - such as Citi offering 50K AA miles (with a spend) and other such offers. Those are essentially free miles as your spend is only for things you would pay for anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I think it is relevant in terms of "value" received for price paid - i.e. an F ticket IAH to FCO for $1400 is a good "value". If OP "must" travel to FCO (say for a cruise), the great majority of Y tickets are over $2000 (one way); and of course, there is no comparison between Y and F (especially when it is for less money)
Of course, the best deals are the ones that CCs give you - such as Citi offering 50K AA miles (with a spend) and other such offers. Those are essentially free miles as your spend is only for things you would pay for in anyway.
If the redemption ticket is available and that is cheaper than a purchased ticket, then there is a saving of the difference that would have been paid.

Once starting to compare the cost of the award ticket against the price of a ticket that would never have been purchased, then this is a flawed comparison on "saving"

It may be a nicer way to travel, but it isn't a cost saving if there would not have been a higher price paid otherwise, but then needs to be a consideration of whether the extra cost paid is worth it for the improved comfort in travel
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the redemption ticket is available and that is cheaper than a purchased ticket, then there is a saving of the difference that would have been paid.

Once starting to compare the cost of the award ticket against the price of a ticket that would never have been purchased, then this is a flawed comparison on "saving"

It may be a nicer way to travel, but it isn't a cost saving if there would not have been a higher price paid otherwise, but then needs to be a consideration of whether the extra cost paid is worth it for the improved comfort in travel
I understand what you are saying, but..
I said nothing about "savings"; I said that it was a good value for price paid.
Of course, if OP has no intention of flying to FCO in the first place, why indeed would he pay $1400 for 62K Miles? Certainly not to fly from IAH to DFW.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I understand what you are saying, but..
I said nothing about "savings"; I said that it was a good value for price paid.
Of course, if OP has no intention of flying to FCO in the first place, why indeed would he pay $1400 for 62K Miles? Certainly not to fly from IAH to DFW.
The post I was replying to had stated "$1400 seems like a good price to me since a cash ticket would be much more."

If the person means that the lowest cash fare that could be purchased is more, then indeed it is a saving

If it meant ( as I suspected ) over the price of a 1st class purchased ticket, then it isn't imo valid to use that as a saving level unless would otherwise have purchased it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.