Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable Choice vs. Choice Essential

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG

One of the advantages they list for "choice essential" is no change fee. If I buy a refundable "choice" ticket and need to make a change, can't I simply cancel the ticket, get a refund, and buy the new ticket? Seems silly to charge change fees on any refundable fare. Am I missing something?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

canceling a choice essential or plus fare doesn't generate a cash refund but does generate a credit voucher while a refundable fare returns cash. essential or plus both can be canceled for credit - they differ on other features.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by JMN57
canceling a choice essential or plus fare doesn't generate a cash refund but does generate a credit voucher while a refundable fare returns cash. essential or plus both can be canceled for credit - they differ on other features.
Note that I am talking about the refundable version of the choice essential ticket. Both nonrefundable and refundable tickets are available in the various choice options. This is why it is confusing and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jmorgans
Note that I am talking about the refundable version of the choice essential ticket. Both nonrefundable and refundable tickets are available in the various choice options. This is why it is confusing and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
The cheapest refundable ticket might be fully refundable, but it does not give things like a free checked bag or group 1 boarding. This is why AA still offers choice essential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.