AA cancelled flight. Are miles cancelled too?

Old Nov 18, 2001, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

AA cancelled flight. Are miles cancelled too?

I am a long time reader, first time poster. Finally I have a question for the panel.

I was supposed to be on AA132 from JFK to LHR, a flight that was cancelled 4.5 hours before takeoff.

It must have been a A300 issue, because according to the seat finders, the flight was PACKED and there were no other seats available on the earlier flights.

In the end, they put me on a BA flight out of EWR and I got to LHR on time and in tact. I was really happy with the AA EWR staff, as well as the BA counter and Executive club staff.

My question is:

What about my miles? I was supposed to get me status miles, my platinum bonus, and my DBLAA promotion.

What are the chances of getting these credited any time soon?

thanks!

BTW... Never been to the BA club before. SO much nicer than the AA club, better food, better drinks, and free booze. BA service was much better too. When will that "merger" go through and let us collect trans-atlantic?
Old Nov 18, 2001, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I might be wrong here, but since it was AA's fault that you were forced to take the BA flight then you should get your AA miles. For example, if you had voluntarily been bumped off the flight and they re-accomodated you on BA, then I don't believe you would be credited for your AA segment, but in this case you should since it was AA's problem. Save your boarding passes, itenerary, etc. and call AAdvantage customer service.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 5:22 pm
SST

Just write to AAdvantage, enclose a copy of your ticket receipt, boarding pass stubs or whatever you have (if they didn't take 'em) and write a nice letter telling them you'd like to have it credited. Tell them you were "involuntarily rerouted" to BA.

Always has worked for me: your miles show up in about two weeks or so.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 6:13 pm

While it might not seem fair, the official AAdvantage rule is that you're not entitled to the miles.

That being said, there has never been a situation like this when they have not given me the miles if I asked.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 6:33 pm

I had this same problem recently. I wrote to the PLT desk requesting the base miles.

They sent a nice letter back: DENIED.

I called the plan vanilla AAdvantage service desk and they posted the miles right away.

Bottom line? Officially no, practically dependent on luck. Persist and you'll probably get them.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 7:08 pm

I was scheduled to fly on AA 4411 from LGA to Columbus, OH this past Wednesday. Showed up at the airport only to find that my flight was cancelled and that I had been rebooked on Delta. I called AAdvantage Customer Service on Thursday to request the mileage for the cancelled flight, and they were posted in my account the following morning. I didn't need to send in a boarding pass or any other documentation, it was taken care of completely over the phone.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 7:17 pm

It happen to me before. They make me fly Lanchile because an American Airlines flight was canceled. I call and ask for my Q miles and they said NO PROBLEM. Good luck.

------------------
1/2 Million Plus Miles, AAdvantage Platinum - Priority Club. Free Flyer for 8 Straight years.
Old Nov 18, 2001, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LIFETIME GOLD, 1.7MM; HH Diamond
I had this happen last month in my mileage run for EXP. I was scheduled ALB-BOS-RDU-JFK-ALB, but the ALB-BOS flight was late so missed the RDU. AA protected me on US and I told them I needed those miles to make EXP. The GA was very sympathetic and said she would put a note in the system that I was to be credited with the AA miles. When I arrived in RDU I called the Platinum Desk and was told to call Customer Service the next day (they had already closed for the night). Next morning I called Customer Service all set to do battle to get my miles and a very nice lady commiserated over the missed connection and put the miles right in. They posted when I checked on line the next day and I made EXP with a couple of hundred miles to spare! I am one happy camper!

Chris
Old Nov 19, 2001, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I have never had a problem getting AA miles after an involuntary reroute on another airline. I just fill in the "missing credit" electronic form on aa.com with a note of explanation. (You have to wait 15 days from the flight or the computer bounces your message back. It's not smart enough to figure out that your problem isn't slow posting.)
Old Nov 19, 2001, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
I have had this situation probably 3x a year. Each time they readily post mileage, however watch out, they usually post as bonus miles; and these are not YTD base miles. If asked nicely again, they will switch them to base miles. Most years that is important to requalify, though this year...

Old Nov 19, 2001, 2:40 pm

But you can't, in this situation, get the AA miles and the BA miles, or is there a way around this?
Old Nov 19, 2001, 3:26 pm

STAM4NICK,
In this situation, this is not really an issue, since you can't earn AA miles on a BA trans-atlantic flight. The original poster could have earned BA miles on the flight if they had signed up for BA miles, and this would not impact the awarding of AA miles for the cancelled fight. Should be no different that being re-routed on US Air, for example, and earning miles on both US Air and, after contacting AA customer service, AA.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Additionally, you can also get BA miles on Alaska Mileage Plan. Even for Trans-Atlantic segments.
In a way you double dip.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I have a little different situation re a cancelled flight and am wondering if I can get any mileage for it. The situation is this: I was scheduled to fly ORD-LAX-DFW-SHV as part of my return from CDG. My ORD-LAX flight was delayed 2hrs. and then finally cancelled. I was rebooked on a later AA flight to LAX but the rebooking and reboarding process took so long that I was going to miss my "red-eye" LAX-DFW connection and thus have to overnite at LAX and therefore would miss a day of work, which I couldn't afford to do. So, since the flight wound up being oversold, I took the VDB voucher they were offering, spent the nite at ORD and took the first flight out the next morning to DFW and on to SHV. Do you think I can get credit for the ORD-LAX and LAX-DFW segments that I wasn't able to take due to the tardiness of my replacement flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.